1,152 results
All reviewswooden bathmallard suiteorient expressflying scotsmantrain stationlow lightinghuge bathroomsuperior roomreading stationmini barncp car parkcooked breakfastan upgradesaturday nightfantastic staylovely roombar area
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We went to a Friday night Italian wine and food event. The evening was hosted in a very friendly and relaxed manner by Richard ( Hotel Manager) who gave a run down on the wines and food - very knowledgeable. We had a great time - wine and food really good.
Stayed the night in the Great Western suite - Very luxurious and comfortable.
Really enjoyed my favorite breakfast - kippers.
Service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Wallace_012013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the recent Italian wine dinner, as I’m sure you know these are very popular evenings that we run at the hotel. The next wine dinner is in January and the theme is ‘New World’ vs ‘Old World’, so keep an eye out for this evening and all our other wine dinners and wine events at the Malmaison, Reading website. I’m also very glad to hear that enjoyed your kippers at Breakfast and the GWR suite, which is one of our one bedroom suites.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as it was close to location of friend's wedding. When people asked which hotel we were staying at and we told them 'malmaison' the reply was 'ooooh, posh!' It really isn't. Very average.
We arrived by car, there isn't any hotel parking so we followed the one way road to a sign for long stay parking. Big mistake, should have found NCP that is £10 instead of £17 for hotel guests. We parked in the station long stay which cost £25! At reception there weren't any staff. There was one couple waiting to check in ahead of us.... We waited and waited.... Eventually someone arrived to serve us. Meanwhile the queue behind us had grown. The other couple were offered a morning paper. We weren't.
The room itself was clean and comfortable but dark. Even with all lights on my eyes felt strained. It was hot but too noisy due to central location to have window open.
Nice shower and toiletries.
Didn't have breakfast. Checking out was a much more pleasant experience.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ZoeJMac

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m sorry to read that your recent experience at the hotel did not meet your expectation. Firstly I apologise that we do not have our own car park on-site, as I’m sure you can understand we simply do not have a suitable space. The arrangement we have with the NCP car park on Garrard Street is a discount off the parking ticket price, although the postcode for this car park is slightly different to the hotel (NCP Car Park postcode is RG1 1NR).

Please also accept my apologies that you were kept waiting unnecessarily prior to check-in. This is not our normal standard of reception service and check-in experience and I will investigate thoroughly why the reception was left unmanned when you arrived. I am pleased to hear that your check-out experience was much smoother.

We also take on board your feedback about the level of lighting in your room. The level of lighting in the hotel as a whole is minimal in some areas to remain in-keeping with the Malmaison brand. We do however try to balance practicality with ambiance and there are areas of the hotel that potentially will benefit from some additional lighting.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we do hope that you enjoyed your friend’s wedding.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight with my partner and our toddler. Got good room price which included two course meal and bottle wine/cocktails. Upon arrival, staff were lovely and helped with our request to instead take our meal as credit towards room service, as our little boy was too tired to eat in the restaurant. Lovely room made up with cot for my son, usual good quality that you expect from a Mal hotel. Room service meal (ordered from main menu) was delicious. All in all a great, if brief, stay. Although i don't think families are the target audience for this hotel chain, they are always so helpful and lovely with our son when we stay here.

Stayed: November 2013

Dear Suze006

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we were able to look after your request for room service.

We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Me and my partner just booked the lovers package with this hotel and all I can say is WOW, Although the package was just under £300-00 for the night when we got the room was totally amazing, we had the Mallard suite booked which had a lovely flat screen tv's in both the lounge and bedroom with surround sound, as for the bathroom it has to be seen to be believed, remote coloured changing mood lightning and a massive wooden bath with twin showers, they even layed on champagne and chocolate strwaberrys and to top it all there is a model train set in the lounge. This room has to be seen to be believed. I will definitely recommend this room and hotel to any one.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Oasislimoskent
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Oasislimoskent,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay in our Mallard suite, and we hope you both enjoyed the Champagne and chocolate strawberries.

We look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the mal maison on Friday night. The staff were very friendly, great atmosphere in the bar, great cocktails, food in the restaurant was good - although my father had a TBone steak which for £37 for the steak only is very steep considering it didn't come with anything (£10-£12 over priced)!

The only other criticism was the lighting in the rooms was not practical - had to do my make-up in the car!

Stayed: October 2013
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Anna_T_9512

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and that you felt the team were very friendly. I’m also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the new ‘MalChemy’ cocktail menu in the bar as this was only launched last week and is already receiving a lot of fantastic feedback.

Regarding the price of the T-bone steak, we do buy a very high quality of steak that is a minimum of 28 days dry-aged, unfortunately this does mean that the price of the dish is a little more expensive than the fillet, Rib eye and full face steak, whilst the T-bone is also a larger portion at 450grams.

Thank you for your critic on the lighting in the room. The level of lighting in the hotel is minimal in some areas to remain in-keeping with the Malmaison brand. We do however try to carefully combine practicality with ambiance and we are currently reviewing some specific locations for additional lighting.

Once again thank you for your feedback on the team and the great atmosphere you enjoyed in the hotel.

Kind regard,