“Average”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I stayed one night due to a business meeting in Reading. In summary:

Positives:
1) Location. It's opposite the railway station, which is a 30min commute into London. Served this purpose perfectly.
2) Pleasant welcome and service. No issues getting the room or a drink early morning before leaving.
3) Rooms were spacious & well laid out. The bed was comfortable, shower had plenty of hot water and all the basic amenities were in the room. I didn't see an issue with the number of channels on the TV.
4) I didn't use the restaurant or bar. But it looked busy enough and while I was located at the front of the hotel, the noise level wasn't a problem.
5) WIFI worked without issues in the room.

Negatives:
1) The hotel was a little "worn" in places, this being most evident on the carpets, elevators and several walls. It could do with some basic renovation work.
2) Rooms were well lit overall & comfortable. But there were dark spots, particularly around the desk/cupboards. So if you want to work, take your own light with you! Also, when entering the room, the card slot to activate the light wasn't next to the entrance door. So you had to grope around in the dark for a minute in order to locate it. Annoying.
3) It was 150 GBP room only. This appears a little expensive all considered.
4) Breakfast starts at 6.30am. I would have assumed that many of the guests would be commuting into London for flights etc...either way, seemed a little late to start for breakfast.

Overall it was a satisfactory stay. No major issues and very comfortable room. I would use again if I needed to be in Reading, although I wouldn't recommend to friends etc for personal use at 150 GBP per night (room only).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MPHILM
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear PHILIPMARSHALL

Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed constructive review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the service to be very pleasant. Your negative points are all understood, in reference to the room rate, our rates do vary depending on the night of the week and the demand, so it’s best to check the website for offer nights. With regards to breakfast we do offer a continental breakfast tray that can be ordered before 6:30am.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,052)

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Visited Reading with my partner to meet up with friends. Impressed from the moment I walked in, the reception area had changed since my last visit and the reception staff were most welcoming. After a quick change in our room we met friends in the bar and the atmosphere was fantasitc. Vibrant but not loud, cocktails and champagne flowing - relaxed feel yet fun.
The room was wonderful with a nice welcoming card from the general manager and of course a fantastic breakfast I have come to expect in a Mal!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear LJW2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m also very pleased to read that you enjoyed the great atmosphere in the bar and that the Champagne was flowing! Glad to hear that you enjoyed the ‘Mal’ breakfast experience too!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We booked this hotel as a late Anniversary getaway for just 1 night. We booked a dinner, bed and breakfast deal which was excellent value. The staff at check in were extremely attentive and helpful and we were checked in quickly and efficiently. We were allocated a fabulous room. It was huge and very comfortable and way better than I had imagined it would be.
We had a table booked for dinner in the brasserie so had a couple of cocktails in the bar before hand which was very pleasant. The food was excellent. My only criticism was that over the course of the meal we were waited on by 5 different people. This meant that when the bill came out for me to sign they were not aware that we had dinner included so they had to go away and make an adjustment. Not a huge issue but one that could have been avoided.
We chose to have breakfast in our room and as well as being fresh and appetising it was beautifully presented.
I would definitely stay here again. Thanks.

Room Tip: The superior room was huge.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Kristina2611

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we hope that you enjoyed your anniversary escape. I’m sorry to hear that there were a few issues with you bill in the Brasserie and I’m pleased that the Brasserie Manager was quickly able to rectify this for you. I’m also very pleased to read that you enjoyed our continental breakfast in the room option.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Booked into the Malmaison for a 2 night stay over the weekend. Positives are the location of the hotel, directly opposite the station, the hotel was very clean and well maintained and the staff were very pleasant and accommodating.

However a couple of issues did spoil our weekend, firstly the shower in the bathroom had 2 settings tepid and slightly less tepid, it would not get hot at all. Then on Friday night it was impossible to get any sleep due to the sound of the Walkabout pub outside our room. The thumping bass we could hear till gone 3am. It meant we were tired for the following day and had to cut short our night out on Saturday.

Would not book into this hotel again for a weekend stay, and would look for somewhere further out of the city centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Wayneref

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Firstly thank you for your positive comments regarding the service level of the team, the cleanliness of the hotel and the location.

Secondly I do apologise that you experienced an issue with your shower not reaching suitable temperature and I have asked my Maintenance Manager to investigate your room specifically to understand if that shower has an issue with the mixer unit.

Finally due to our city centre location there are occasions where we have some level of noise from the street activity, on busy weekend nights. All our bedroom windows do have secondary glazing, and the walls between us and our neighbouring businesses are heavily sound proofed to limit as much noise as possible effecting adjoining bedrooms. If we are able to accommodate you again in the future please do let me know in advance and I will ensure that a room positioned further away from the activity is allocated for your stay.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We went to a Friday night Italian wine and food event. The evening was hosted in a very friendly and relaxed manner by Richard ( Hotel Manager) who gave a run down on the wines and food - very knowledgeable. We had a great time - wine and food really good.
Stayed the night in the Great Western suite - Very luxurious and comfortable.
Really enjoyed my favorite breakfast - kippers.
Service was excellent.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Wallace_012013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the recent Italian wine dinner, as I’m sure you know these are very popular evenings that we run at the hotel. The next wine dinner is in January and the theme is ‘New World’ vs ‘Old World’, so keep an eye out for this evening and all our other wine dinners and wine events at the Malmaison, Reading website. I’m also very glad to hear that enjoyed your kippers at Breakfast and the GWR suite, which is one of our one bedroom suites.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as it was close to location of friend's wedding. When people asked which hotel we were staying at and we told them 'malmaison' the reply was 'ooooh, posh!' It really isn't. Very average.
We arrived by car, there isn't any hotel parking so we followed the one way road to a sign for long stay parking. Big mistake, should have found NCP that is £10 instead of £17 for hotel guests. We parked in the station long stay which cost £25! At reception there weren't any staff. There was one couple waiting to check in ahead of us.... We waited and waited.... Eventually someone arrived to serve us. Meanwhile the queue behind us had grown. The other couple were offered a morning paper. We weren't.
The room itself was clean and comfortable but dark. Even with all lights on my eyes felt strained. It was hot but too noisy due to central location to have window open.
Nice shower and toiletries.
Didn't have breakfast. Checking out was a much more pleasant experience.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ZoeJMac

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m sorry to read that your recent experience at the hotel did not meet your expectation. Firstly I apologise that we do not have our own car park on-site, as I’m sure you can understand we simply do not have a suitable space. The arrangement we have with the NCP car park on Garrard Street is a discount off the parking ticket price, although the postcode for this car park is slightly different to the hotel (NCP Car Park postcode is RG1 1NR).

Please also accept my apologies that you were kept waiting unnecessarily prior to check-in. This is not our normal standard of reception service and check-in experience and I will investigate thoroughly why the reception was left unmanned when you arrived. I am pleased to hear that your check-out experience was much smoother.

We also take on board your feedback about the level of lighting in your room. The level of lighting in the hotel as a whole is minimal in some areas to remain in-keeping with the Malmaison brand. We do however try to balance practicality with ambiance and there are areas of the hotel that potentially will benefit from some additional lighting.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we do hope that you enjoyed your friend’s wedding.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight with my partner and our toddler. Got good room price which included two course meal and bottle wine/cocktails. Upon arrival, staff were lovely and helped with our request to instead take our meal as credit towards room service, as our little boy was too tired to eat in the restaurant. Lovely room made up with cot for my son, usual good quality that you expect from a Mal hotel. Room service meal (ordered from main menu) was delicious. All in all a great, if brief, stay. Although i don't think families are the target audience for this hotel chain, they are always so helpful and lovely with our son when we stay here.

Stayed: November 2013

Dear Suze006

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that we were able to look after your request for room service.