“Great stay”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed with Malmaison on the 7th Dec and had a really lovely hotel experience.
Check in was quick and easy and the receptionist was very helpful. Room was of high standard, very spacious and clean. We chose to dine in the hotel brasserie. Food was excellent, service was quick and atmosphere was good. Breakfast the following morning was equally as good.
Hotel is right in the centre so walking distance from everything that you need. Oracle is only a 5 min walk away with the train station across the road.

Will defo be staying here again and I would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear tg71989

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are very glad you enjoyed your Reading shopping escape at the Oracle. I am very pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I wanted to give special thanks to Hannah and the events team for making our party with you last Saturday evening such a memorable one.

I would especially like you to pass on our thanks to the very attentive and lovely waiting staff - from the head waitress Helen, who welcomed us, to Piers the wine waiter, they all looked after us wonderfully through out the evening.

It was very much enjoyed by all. Georgeous rib-eye steak!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John W
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear John W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you and your party enjoy the birthday celebrations on Saturday night.

I will gladly pass your feedback to Hannah, Helen, Piers and the rest of the team, and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked this hotel at the request of my partner, she has always wanted to stay there.

Hotel did not let us down, it was awesome, staff were helpful and put me in a really nice room!!

Breakfast was decidedly below average, I've had better in less "quality" hotels, shame but the only black spot on an otherwise perfect stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear E1w00dB1ue5

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found the staff helpful.

I am surprised to read your comments on Breakfast and I would be very grateful for a little more detail on why you found that the Breakfast let down your experience. If you do have time to send me any further feedback on breakfast please could you send it to: reading@malmaison.com for my attention so I can investigate further.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We decided to stay at Malmaison Reading rather than stay in the city after seeing a show as we were not planning to spend the next day around town. The train journey is just 30 minutes to Paddington - if you get the not-stopping train.

Parking was available just across the road - plenty available when we arrived at 12.30 on Thursday. The dark interior is a bit unusual but we found it to be modern and contemporary - not what we had expected. We even picked up a design idea for our ongoing barn conversion. The room was large and comfortable.

The hotel is located at the railway station and very convenient - we thought this may be a problem with noise (with live in a very rural area with NO noise at night) but we were not disturbed and did not notice any noise.

Breakfast is a combination of buffet and service - very quick, good selection and well presented.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting easy access to London but not wanting to pay London prices

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear rjslittledownend

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you left with some helpful design ideas! I am also very pleased to read that you had a great nights sleep.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again next time you are enjoying London.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

We visited last weekend for just one night. Upgraded room after getting email to do it for £10. Glad we did as room was lovely. Did find the view and noise a bit disturbing though overlooking the railway station and although mattress was very comfortable both agreed pillows far to soft and bathroom could have been a little brighter.
Would have liked to be able to have reserved a table for cocktails as found bar very busy when we went down before dinner as very popular with the public and not very enjoyable spending £10 a drink approx standing up. Meal was lovely, although my partner did think for his £30 plus steak should have included sides as although tasted great looked quite measly with the extra chips he ordered.
Generally nice experience if you want to be in the centre of things for a night and we would go back

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Shirleyannbartlett

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and you enjoyed the upgraded room.

Thank you for your constructive comments. My housekeeping management are looking into your comment regarding the pillows, and your thoughts on the steak mains including a side has been passed onto the relevant leadership.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Ok so this may sound a little strange but I stopped going to the Mal because it is too dark. I now prefer the Novotel which is just round the corner. So the Mal has good rooms and the service in the bar is very good but it's just too dark. The lighting is turned down so low that it's impossible to read a newspaper after the sun has gone down. Easily fixed and I know others have the same feedback.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Wilmo66

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and provide us your feedback regarding the hotel. The Malmaison brand is a dark and warm brand and whilst lighting in certain areas of the hotel is limited we believe that it is part of the atmosphere of the property. That said we also believe that the hotel is a little too dark in some places and we are working to bring additional lighting in where possible.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We booked two superior rooms but the constant boom boom noise from the nightclubs was annoying - we thought we would persevere but at 1am in the morning it was getting louder so we gave up and asked reception to move us. The other 2 rooms (not superior) were just as bad and when we asked, the night desk staff said ''that there were several nightclubs surrounding the hotel and all the rooms were like that'' ie: noisy...... the first rooms were on the first floor and the next rooms were higher up on the 3rd floor but not much better either.
The rooms on the 3rd floor were right on the roundabout for the train station. So we had trains, nightwork on the tracks, buses, and taxis revving all night and all the next morning. I gave up in the end and did fall asleep but I slept uncomfortably on the crappiest thinnest pillows imaginable with a mattress that was hard and with springs poking through, the bed seriously needed a mattress topper .... unfortunately my husband was awake until the very very wee hours of the morning listening to the revellers leaving the nightclubs puking up in the street and yelling at their mates....
so that's the rooms explained....and the rest of the experience ......
On arrival you can barely get inside reception as for some bizarre reason the management hold the team briefings RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOORS standing up so you have to squeeze past them gossiping (they don't move out of the way for you) with all your bags and family in tow. The reception becomes the overspill area from the bar and in the internal Starbucks I felt like I was in a shopping mall rather than a supposedly upmarket hotel.
Oh and there was also a wedding going on as well.... so maybe it was more like a central train station with a flash mob wedding scenario.....
Add insult to injury when we were checking out they still tried to charge for the superior rooms even though we had to move! so that took another very painful slowwwww 15 minutes to sort.
We did pay for the 'brunch' lunch and that was very nice quality food in very large portions (if you are really hungry) but hardly seems worth staying in the hotel to be able to pay another 60 quid (food only) on top of the rack rates for the two rooms because you don't want to come down for the breakfast. The upside being that you get to have the room until 3pm (I had a nap at 2pm as it was the quietest it had been since we got there)
The best bit about the hotel? leaving........

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sunandsleep

Dear sunandsleep

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Firstly I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the mal Sunday brunch.

I am however very sorry to read that the hotel overall did not meet your expectation. We can only apologise that you experienced noise in both rooms, disturbed your sleep. In reference to the mattress protector all our mattresses do have protector cushions and are in good condition so I would be very keen to investigate your room in-particular and understand the problem there.

I would also like to clarify that our management team do not ever hold meetings in the reception area, on the night you stayed we had an external theatre group completely their registration in the lobby and this will have been the people that you saw, they were not hotel staff. However I am sorry that they affected your arrival experience.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.