“Dreadful customer service, nice food”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Dreadful customer service, nice food”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had our Christmas works do here last night, and the food was nice, but the bar staff and waitresses were so rude.

The waitress was pouring the wine for us, from bottles they kept at the bar, and I asked for my wine glass to be filled as the waitress walked past (my glass was completely empty) and she said "I have done wine for this table and walked off. So Rude

As i walked to the loos, I accidentally spilt some wine. A passing waiter sad very sarcastically, "thanks for that sir, now I will have to clean that in the morning!" staggering rudeness.

And to top is all, we as a company had booked the room for the whole night, having spent a huge amount of money, at 2pm they turned of the music, turned on the lights and a waiter shouted, right time for everyone to go to your rooms. We were dumbfounded. All hotel parties have been to they stay open all night, or at least until 4am.

Take my advice, and walk past this hotel, and never go in. I certainly wont be ever again, and neither will anyone from our company

Room Tip: to choose a good room, go to a different hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jammey_dodger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Visited Reading today for some some Xmas shopping with my Wife. Visited Malmaison Reading for a beer and a cocktail - nice relaxing surroundings etc, a nice treat to ourselves, pleasant surroundings etc. Was spoilt by the fact that for us, irritating rap music was been imposed upon us and could see that it was also causing an affect upon other clientel. I had a polite word with the guy behind the bar. His response was that all music is centrally controlled and he can do nothing about it. Once I had returned to my seat the "music" had been ramped up, at which point my wife and I finished our drinks and left. Such a shame as being local we had earmarked this as a suitable hotel for passing friends to stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tim W
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Well located next to Reading station, has a great boutique atmostphere, rooms are different to anything you will get from another hotel chain, good service all around, and pricing was reasonable as well. My only gripe as a business traveller is that my room didn't have a trouser press. I cannot understand why all middle to up market hotels in today's age do not have them in every room. I've had one at home for over 20 years now.

Having said that, many, many other hotels are in the same situation.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

My wife & I travelled to Reading for my office Xmas do. The Malmaison hotel is wonderfully convenient as it is right opposite the railway station. It is also close to the shops (just a couple of minutes stroll from John Lewis - my wife's favourite store)! I had asked for a quiet room and we were given one at the back of the hotel. It was clean and spacious with an excellent en suite bathroom. We arrived earlier than planned but were allowed to check in and go straight to our room (over an hour earlier than the advertised check in time) which we really appreciated. The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The bed was large & comfortable. The food (we did B&B) was excellent both in quality and choice. My only gripe, hence 4 stars not 5, is the lighting in the bedroom & bathroom. The number of lights is economical to say the least. I like mood lighting but I want to be able to see properly to have a shave and for my wife to do her makeup. Overall a great place to stay in Reading.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Mikerob730

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you and your partner had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope you enjoyed the office Christmas party! I am also very glad to read that you found all the staff to be helpful and friendly.

Your feedback regarding the amount of lighting in certain areas of the hotel is acknowledged and this is an area that we are planning on developing. Our brand does have a warm and dark feel and we are intentionally not aiming for a bright or sterile feel within the rooms, however in some places we may be a little too dark.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed with Malmaison on the 7th Dec and had a really lovely hotel experience.
Check in was quick and easy and the receptionist was very helpful. Room was of high standard, very spacious and clean. We chose to dine in the hotel brasserie. Food was excellent, service was quick and atmosphere was good. Breakfast the following morning was equally as good.
Hotel is right in the centre so walking distance from everything that you need. Oracle is only a 5 min walk away with the train station across the road.

Will defo be staying here again and I would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear tg71989

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are very glad you enjoyed your Reading shopping escape at the Oracle. I am very pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I wanted to give special thanks to Hannah and the events team for making our party with you last Saturday evening such a memorable one.

I would especially like you to pass on our thanks to the very attentive and lovely waiting staff - from the head waitress Helen, who welcomed us, to Piers the wine waiter, they all looked after us wonderfully through out the evening.

It was very much enjoyed by all. Georgeous rib-eye steak!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John W
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear John W

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you and your party enjoy the birthday celebrations on Saturday night.

I will gladly pass your feedback to Hannah, Helen, Piers and the rest of the team, and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Booked this hotel at the request of my partner, she has always wanted to stay there.

Hotel did not let us down, it was awesome, staff were helpful and put me in a really nice room!!

Breakfast was decidedly below average, I've had better in less "quality" hotels, shame but the only black spot on an otherwise perfect stay!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear E1w00dB1ue5

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found the staff helpful.

I am surprised to read your comments on Breakfast and I would be very grateful for a little more detail on why you found that the Breakfast let down your experience. If you do have time to send me any further feedback on breakfast please could you send it to: reading@malmaison.com for my attention so I can investigate further.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.