“excellent hotel”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“excellent hotel”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

my wife and i stayed there in Jan 2014 for a single night .

pros
The people were friendly at reception and the hotel was a great location for shopping , The hotel did not have a carpark but NCP was 2 minutes walk away and the hotel offered a discount on parking at this carpark, It was easy to find being right next to the train station so plenty of cabs available . The room was excellent , we had a standard double , it was very large with every facility you would need for any length of stay , this would put many premium rooms to shame compared against other hotels we have stayed in . The rooms was clean fresh and bathroom was excellent , power shower and separate bath. It had a good bar , we did not eat in the hotel though so cannot comment on the food .

cons

nothing to moan about as the hotel was excellent , just a question of taste but the decor is quite dark inside the hotel and lighting in the room i was informed is not good for applying makeup , The only disappointment to an excellent stay was the parking discount that was meant to be applied at reception upon checkout did not work . It should of enabled us to park for 24hrs for £10 but upon exit we had to pay £18,

we would stay again and would recommend

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear pargolfalan

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read your ‘pros’ list from your stay, especially the friendliness of the staff. Thank you for these comments.

Your feedback regarding the amount of lighting in certain areas of the hotel is acknowledged. The Mal brand does have a warm and dark feel and we are intentionally not aiming for a bright or sterile environment within the rooms, as you say this can be personal taste.

Regarding the parking I am extremely sorry to hear that the NCP machine didn’t read the discount barcode. When this happens it is due to the NCP barcode reader not recognising the barcode that we print onto the ticket (at reception) to apply the discount. I know it doesn’t help you know but you have to press the red ‘call’ button on the pay machine and tell the remote operator the number that is on the barcode so they can manually apply the discount and print you a new ticket. As I’m sure you are aware the bar code printer we have in the hotel is owned by NCP, as we are simply recognising our guests and providing them the discounted rate of £10 for a 24hour period, (normally £17).

Once again thank you for your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Oxford
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Back in August 2013, a group of 4 of us stayed in the Mallard suite and we thought it was simply superb! As a group we stayed at the hotel 4 times in 2013, which gives you an indication of how highly we rate it.

The room is fantastic; it is more like a flat then a hotel room to be honest. As you walk in, the model train set (which is a great touch) greets you. To the right is the bedroom, which is huge. It has a 4-poster bed and a great size TV (they had just upgraded the TV’s when we stayed). Because the room is on the basement of the building the bedroom has no windows, it is therefore pitch black at night, which is brilliant. I think that the hotel should invest in an alarm clock like a Bose wave music system in the bedroom, as this was a missing feature.

The master bathroom is an ensuite and is fitted to a high standard. It has a massive wooden bath, wooden sink and changeable colour lighting. The TV in the bath sadly didn’t work but is a great feature (hopefully they have fixed it now).

The lounge is a great size and accommodated all of us with ease. The new TV is massive (50 inch) and is a real masterpiece. The room has a Bose surround sound system, which is iPod and iPhone compatible. It sounds amazing. There is a 2nd toilet just off the lounge, which is a great touch, and there is a private courtyard so you can get some fresh air. One thing that we think would improve the room is some outside seating so you can have a few drinks outside in the summer.

When booked in advance, the room is exceptional value for the size and quality. The service is fantastic and the location is spot on. We will be back in 2014 and would only book this room in future.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade over the one bedroom suite
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank teh6981
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear teh6981

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your detailed and complimentary review. I am very pleased to read that you and your party enjoyed the Mallard on your past stay. Just to let you know that we have recently removed the train set and replaced it with additional seating.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding the outside seating on the ‘patio’ area and this is definitely something we will consider for the summer.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and indeed the Mallard suite again soon.

Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here on New Year's Eve as a little treat. The price of our room was £150 per night (this did not include breakfast) this is normally more than we would pay for one night but given it was new year and the central location to the town centre we thought this seemed reasonable.
Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and admired the unusual decor. The reception area looked like I could do with a good Hoover especially the lifts. But as the hotel was fully booked and very busy this wasn't an issue. The room itself was nice and clean, with again interesting decor. The bed was massive with a good size television. Negatives, the wifi was very very difficult to access and I even called reception who stated that it was probably due to everyone else accessing it at the same time. Not good as we had brought our iPad to watch breaking bad in bed together after a nice meal and cocktails in town. The bar at Malmaison was very good with a excellent selection of cocktails which we enjoyed, dangerous that you can charge your bill to your room but very convenient.
We would stay again but probably look for a better deal than we paid. I think £150 without breakfast for one night is rather expensive.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank WeLoveHistory82
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear WeLoveHistory82

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your New Years Eve with us. I was very happy to read that you enjoyed the Bar and indulged in some of our fantastic MalChemy cocktails!

Regarding the Wi-Fi our IT team have recently improved the speed and capacity of the Wi-Fi and we are having a new incoming fibre optic line installed this month to provide us with a further increase in capacity and speed.

Our rates were higher than a normal leisure night as New Years Eve is a very popular night for us. Please look out for special offers on the Malmaison website for your return, many of these rates will also include breakfast.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I've recently booked for this coming February for which is one of my favourite hotels. I have been using the Malmaison hotels since 1999 when I was fortunate enough for my firm at the time to put me up in the Manchester hotel. I have been using the hotel 'chain' ever since. My last visit was in September in which we booked the superior room with dinner and breakfast. From the moment we got there, the receptionists are friendly and welcoming. The bar staff will do anything to help you and the rooms are what you expect from the Mal, clean, welcoming and a touch of luxury. The food is in the brassiere is very good, and again, good value. The parking is expensive, but very close to the hotel and they validate the ticket to take the sting out of the cost, which they don't have to do. I had a birthday party here in a suite a couple of years ago, and again, they bent over backwards to accommodate my large party. I look forward to my next visit in February.

Room Tip: Look for the numerous offers they have throughout the year, the shopping weekender and the bed and b...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank petef1uk
Dear petef1uk

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in February, if you are interesting in shopping don’t forget we are only 5 minutes walk from Reading's 'Oracle' shopping centre.

Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My man and I stayed at the Mal Reading for NYE. From the moment we arrived we were treated so very well. The receptionist was efficient, friendly and thorough. Our room was the usual Mal standard of amazing. We booked the NYE package and our meal was simply the best food I have ever tasted. The breakfast was also fantastic. The hotel is immaculate, comfy and management should be proud of their staff as all were lovely and clearly work hard. I will definitely book this pancake again next year. We are booked at the London Mal in feb and I cannot wait.
The only negative I can find is the toiletries have changed they still are very nice but I simply loved the originals.

Room Tip: Even the Mal standard rooms are amazing
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara R
Dear Barbara R

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you and your partner enjoyed your New Years Eve with us.

You are indeed right we have recently changed our bathroom toiletries; this was based on some great feedback following a trial in our London Malmaison. Overall the new ‘fig + olive’ range has been well received by our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The staff are welcoming, friendly and attentive so instantly made us forget about the long drive to get to Reading between Christmas and New Year! I was relieved that the staff gave us the post code for the Car Park very near by rather than the hotel as it would have meant a drive around the ring road to park!!! Despite the funky, extremely dark decor the hotel has a calm and relaxed feel to it. The bar - lounge area is lovely with its large comfy sofa's, soft lighting and candles in lanterns. The log burner gave warmth and added to festive feel good spirit. Our room was great ,the only criticism the air conditioning system took an age to warm the cold room. We ate in the Brasserie where the relaxed atmosphere continues and the menu is varied and the portions are generous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SarahJ164xoxo
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear SarahJ164xoxo

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us after your long drive! You are right it is much easier to find the NCP car park with the postcode (RG1 1NR) as although it’s only a minute walk away from the hotel entrance, because of the ring road it’s a little way from the hotel road by car. I’m also very glad that you enjoyed the warmth and style of the Bar and Brasserie.

Your feedback regarding heating in your room has been investigated and resolved the AC maximum set-point for that room was at 25 degrees C and we have increased this to 28 degrees C for the winter months.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The fabric of the building is incredibly stylish, combining cutting edge design with the local history to give a unique surrounding. Service is the perfect union of attentive, yet informal and the food is simply divine with sumptuous menus to accommodate all tastes and preferences. Whilst I accept most hotel rooms are designed to be functional, in the knowledge they are usually intended purely as a base for other activities, I would happily have remained shacked-up in there as the contemporary luxury was something I now wish to replicate in my own home.
If you're looking for something that's a bit more than your bog-standard hotel, you'll struggle to find a place that achieves it in every department as well as this.
My only disappointment was that my stay was just for one night!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Dean H

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the service ‘attentive, yet informal’ as this is exactly what we are intending to deliver.

Looking forward to seeing you back again soon and for more than one night next time!

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.