“Great Location - Very Dark Rooms and Poor Internet Service”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Portland, Oregon
“Great Location - Very Dark Rooms and Poor Internet Service”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

The location is perfect - close to the train station and buses. The major downside is the poor lighting in the rooms. The hotel room walls are dark, the furniture is dark, and the lamps are very low light. The second major downside is the poor internet connection. It is nearly impossible to get online, until after 10:30 pm.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kelly478
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Kelly478

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our location, especially if you are traveling in or out of Reading by train is fantastic!

I’m sorry however to read that you found the room too dark. We are a dark and warm brand and this is not to everyone’s taste, we are also looking at plans to increase the amount of lighting in some key areas of the hotel.

Regarding the internet, the speed of this service has had some recent work to improve the Wi-Fi speed in the hotel we are also having a new fibre optic line installed very soon, this will make significant improvements to our Wi-Fi speed. In the meantime if you are using a laptop and have any issues please do let us know and we can provide a hard line for the bedroom.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chelmsford ssex
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Over priced, rushed out of the restaurant even though it wasn't busy, rooms far to dark unless u bring white clothes. No room service and rude staff when I rung down to reception. Beds uncomfortable. Orderd flowers and Champaign to bed left in room on arrival and neither of them was there when we arrived, rooms to dry when using air con but far to hot when not. Extra charges applied to breakfast because we wanted a full English. Rooms to dark as everything is black on black. From the wallpaper to wardrobes.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank alexperkins1234
Dear alexperkins 1234

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m very sorry to read that your experience at the hotel did not meet your expectation. I was also surprised that you believed the staff to be rude as this was not something you mentioned during your discussion with my Reception Manager on check-out. I believe that he also explained that the reason the flowers where not in the room on your arrival was because you checked-in early and hence our florists were working to a 3pm regular check-in time that was later that the early check-in time we honoured you.

I’m sorry that you didn’t find the decor and finishes in the suite to your taste and as I’m sure you experienced Mal is a dark and warm brand and this is not to everyone’s taste.

One correction I do have to make is that we do provide room service, this is not however complimentary as we do charge a tray charge fee.

Once again, I do apologise that you did not enjoy your experience at Malmaison.

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I needed a comfy place near Reading railway station and this was ideal - great location, friendly and helpful staff, quick check-in, and comfortable and well-equipped rooms. My room could have been better illuminated, that was the only thing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear OmanTom

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased to read that you found our team to be friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison, Reading again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Opposite the main train station so ideally located for train users. Not ideal for drivers. It's in the heart of Reading so lots of shops and food available nearby.

I have had 3 seperate stays at this hotel paid for by my company and the room I was given in my 2nd visit was by far the more spacious one on the first floor. It is generally very clean and comfortable with adequate recources.

The internet speed is appalling and the choice of channels on tv not too high.

Good modern design with very well mannered and polite staff.

4/5 from me and would go again. To get 5/5 I'd need better car parking facilities.

Room Tip: The room I had on the first floor was much bigger and more spacious than the rooms I had on 3rd and...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear IndianaB0nes

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stays with us. Please do let us know if there is a specific room you prefer and where possible we will allocate this room for your next stay!

Regarding the Wi-Fi our IT team have recently improved the speed and capacity of the Wi-Fi and we are having a new incoming fibre optic line installed this month to provide us with a further increase in capacity and speed.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Have stayed many times in Malmaison on business and have enjoyed my stays every time. Luxury bathrooms and beds and have stayed in some of the suites and they are truly amazing. Great breakfast and only a minute from Reading Railway Station and the bus link to Heathrow.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear scotland007

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was especially pleased to read that you have found our suites to be amazing!

Having the RailAir Heathrow express coach leaving from literally just outside the hotel is definitely a real bonus if you are coming in or leaving to Heathrow airport!

Once again thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison, Reading again soon.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Had our wedding at Mal Maison Reading on 31st January 2014. Really helpful staff from our first meeting through to the wedding day. Their flexibility and attention to detail ensured we could enjoy the day without hassle. The food portion sizes were very generous and waiting staff first class. Breakfast at the Brasserie the following morning was a great way to end the weekend.

Would highly recommend this venue for a wedding or party.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Paul

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am very pleased to read that you and Katie enjoyed such a special day here with us and congratulations from myself and my team once again.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel a few times and the rooms are beautiful, I recommend staying in 'The Rocket'. The food is always delicious, the Mal Sunday Brunch is a must!!! The staff are really friendly and welcoming. My favourite part of the hotel is definitely the bar. I live in Reading and didn't really know the bar was there until a few years ago but now my friends and I always stop in for a drink or two on nights out, sometimes we end up staying in there until it closes as we love it so much! The cocktails are gorgeous, there are so many to choose from and the bar staff always make brilliant recommendations if you're stuck, they are really friendly and really know their stuff. The bar is nice and cosy and has a great atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Charlottechh

Thank you for taking the time to write your complimentary review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoy frequenting Malmaison Reading, from the bar to Sunday Brunch and the Rocket is indeed a great studio suite we are glad you enjoyed it. A big thank you also for noticing the friendliness and welcoming attitude of the team who really do go out of their way to give our guests the best possible experience.

We all very much look forward to seeing you back at Malmaison Reading again soon.