“Weekend Away/Birthday Celebration” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Reading

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Malmaison Reading
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Reading
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
“Weekend Away/Birthday Celebration”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We spent one night at the Malmaison, chosen mainly for its geographic location. We enjoyed our stay very much.

Three cherries:
1. The service was excellent, and throughout the visit the staff impressed us with their cheerful professionalism, helpfulness and self confidence;
2. Dinner was excellent;
3. Our room was very good, and it was delightful to have air conditioning which did what we wanted rather than what 'it' felt we should have (a common failing in far too many hotels).

Two lemons:
1. We found the decor throughout the hotel too dark for our personal taste;
2. The cooked food at breakfast was disappointing.

Room Tip: One night - one room - can't help!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear 346Peter

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was pleased to read your ‘three cherries’ especially the first point regarding the service. However I was sorry to read the ‘lemons’ especially the breakfast point as this is disappointing since we normally receive very positive reviews on our breakfast experience. I’m very sorry that on this occasion we were unable to impress you with our breakfast experience and I have fed this feedback to our chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We had a glass of champagne here, followed by lunch in the restaurant. All very good. Helpful, friendly staff. Food very good, had the two course set menu. No faults there, in fact full up could not manage dessert! Good value as well. Even returned later for another glass of bubbles, lovely lounge, open fire comfy sofas and an excellent choice of cocktails and champagne....shame I had a train to catch! Will certainly revisit as only a short walk from station.

Room Tip: As I did not stay I cannot say!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear eggybreadUk

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed our Bar and Brasserie during a ‘BubbleTime’ which is our Friday Champagne evening from 5pm-8pm!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon.

midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

just not great. i am a frequent hotel user, particularly in Reading/London.last 2 visits i have had to wait an hour for a bar snack... rooms are dingy rather than trendy, parking and driving an expensive nightmare, wireless is unusable.on arrival was a printed trip advisor review in the sink, moaning about room 314... my room... that review is right beds are so lumpy.might as well go for the hilton, holiday inn or the moat house... they cant live off their brand so they have to make an effort.

Dear nick4

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I sincerely apologise that your experience at Malmaison Reading did not meet your expectations and that we failed to give you all the quality of stay that you deserved. I have looked into the comments that you have made and put processes in place to ensure that this does not happen again. The bed has been repaired and we are having a new wireless fibre optic line installed very soon.

I hope this goes some way in building your confidence that we are not a hotel chain who wish to live off its brand. We do care and we are making an on-going effort to improve the areas of our product that fall short of our guests expectations.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife and I turned back the clock of romance and went for the Valentines package which was good value and reasonably priced.

The good news; very helpful staff, very visible and professional Management. Good location, Starbucks an added bonus.

The bad news; we were given a room fit and built eclusively for disabled or for those with walking disabilities / wheelchair access. (The peep-hole at stomach level gave it away)...This entailed a restructured bath / shower for disabled purpose which meant an awkward and impractical fit-out for those abled. Shower taps were also dirty which was not the end of the world, but nevertheless off-putting.

This was nothing compared to the constant glare of a bright green 'assistance' button which was placed by the bathroom door (and in perfect eye-line when lying down on the bed)... Irrelevant during the day but a nightmare at night which resulted in a not-so comfortable nights sleep. The room was also facing the High Street with unrivalled views of the local novelty chip-shop.
We discussed this with Management upon check-out. Ttuth be told, the Manager was understanding, apologetic and disappointed, whereby a nice gesture of goodwill was duly deployed. Helped softened the blow but still left a slightly bitter taste.....

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Greco72

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m pleased to read that you found the staff and management helpful and professional.

I’m sorry to read that the room was not suitable for your stay and I know that we were able to apologise and compensate accordingly before you departed the hotel.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and I hope that this has not put you off returning to Malmaison Reading.

Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We spent 2 nights. Location is very good, near the high street. It is just opposite the train station. There was a Starbucks that was connected to the hotel. Also, it seemed that the restaurant and bar were quite hip and trendy.

However, the room was very dark. Additional lights would be great so it would be easier to spot our belongings especially when we were packing.

Bathroom was nice though. We got both shower and bathtub and they both were separated. Bathroom amenities; body cleanser and shampoo, were nice and they were in nice tubes/bottles. Unfortunately, there was no body lotion so I needed to ask one. There was a big clock on the wall in the bathroom but it was not working. They should've changed the battery of the clock. It was room 119.

Overall, the hotel is OK, not bad for a weekend gateway.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Astri R

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m glad that you enjoyed the hotel and found the bar and Brasserie hip and trendy!

As you mentioned our room amenities do not include body lotion, however I’m very glad that my team were able to provide you with lotion on your request. I can also confirm that the batteries in the clock have now been changed – thank you for letting us know. I’m also sorry to read that you found the room too dark, we are a dark and warm brand and this is not to everyone’s taste, we are also looking at plans to increase the amount of lighting in some key areas of the hotel.

Once again thank you for your review, and do let us know when you are next planning to stay and we will allocated you one of our lighter rooms.

bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Lovely hotel, food & service, but the downside is much too dark, poor lighting in rooms, beds very hard, and constant humming noise coming from the (I think the air con) all through the night. would stay there again, but not for more than a night because of the very nice but too dark décor. Very handy for the station which we needed to get into London for my hubby's birthday treat. Beautifully clean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear lyn62

Thank you for taking the time to write your complimentary review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoy your stay at Malmaison Reading. If you are able to let us know your room number or the name that the reservation was made under (via reading@malmaison.com) we will investigate the humming issue ASAP. We will also have a careful look at the mattress in the room you stayed, our challenge is that bed firmness can be a subjective issue.

Your feedback regarding the amount of lighting in certain areas of the hotel is acknowledged. The Mal brand does have a warm and dark feel and we are intentionally not aiming for a bright or sterile environment within the rooms, however in some places we may be a little too dark, this is something that is being addressed.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your Mal experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

cheshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Spent one night here with my daughter recently.

I'll start with the good first:-
Staff friendly and helpful
Room spacious
Hotel well located

Mixed:- I prepaid for breakfast, you only get continental. Juice was of a good quality but only orange and grapefruit and they make their own granola.

Bad:- booked a twin room, they don't offer twins above the standard rate so I can only comment on the standard rooms.
Our beds were pushed together,not a problem for us but could be for others.
The beds in our room,314, had very uncomfortable,lumpy mattresses.
Room too dark,in fact the hotel was dark throughout.
Our shower suddenly started in the middle of the night, which contributed even more to a poor nights sleep.

Wouldn't rush to return, if I need to return to Reading I would look at trying other hotels first. Wouldn't recommend either unless you're not fussed about a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank merlin1965
Dear merlin 1965

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read your ‘good points’ especially the first one being that the staff were friendly and helpful.

Regarding the ‘bad’ feedback, I’m sorry to read that you found the mattress uncomfortable and I will have a look at this specific room. What’s extremely strange is the feedback on the shower.. I simply don’t understand what caused the shower to start in the middle of the night, I have asked my maintenance manager to have a thorough look at this and see if he can identify and resolve the issue.

Please let us know if and when you return to Malmaison Reading and I will ensure that your room allocation best suits your needs. Once again thank you for the time to write your review.