“Believe the hype”

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Believe the hype”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Sites like this can make it difficult to make a decision about a hotel as the solitary bad one can ruin hundreds of positive ones. This, I am pleased to say, is a glowing endorsement of a great hotel. I'd heard good things about the chain but the reality was even better than I hoped. Stunning decor, polite & helpful staff, great amenities, hilarious touches here and there and all at a very reasonable price. The bed was enormous, the room spotless, the shower expansive and the minibar well stocked. I had one or two minor concerns about the food which were dealt with quickly and efficiently.

In summary, I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at back of hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear GI0bal_Nick

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your positive comments about the hotel and your stay, in particular the comments about the staff and how helpful you found our team.

I’m also very glad that we were able to resolve your ‘minor concerns’ quickly and efficiently.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014

After staying at the Manchester Malmaison a couple of years ago, we were very excited (we thought) to be returning to another one of the very chic and cool hotels owned by this group.
On initial arrival the hotel reception and staff were both an excellent representation of the hotel's image. However we were disappointed from then on. The rest of the interior was starting to look quite shabby, and the dark interior style seemed to highlight this even more! Our room 001 was a very good size, with a large bathroom. But whilst we love dramatic, atmospheric, interior design, this was positively gloomy......Trying to apply make up was almost impossible, there was no well lit area within the room to do this? But I suppose as the hotel is so dark nobody would notice how badly applied my make up was anyway!! Once at dinner in the brasserie (we were on a special deal, £144 for the room with continental breakfast, and dinner up to £20 per person included) We ate of the set menu, I am a vegetarian, and I couldn't believe that both vegetarian options for the starter and main course were mushroom dishes? I mentioned this to our very sweet waitress, who said she would see if I could change my main dish to one off the a la carte menu? This was agreed and I chose the "pan pasta", well, disappointed is an understatement.....Reading is student land, and my pasta in tomato sauce with three lumps of mozzarella on the top would have been the sort of dish I would expect my teenagers to make as fast food on a budget!! After the main which quite frankly I got bored of after a few mouthfuls, I hoped the desert would redeem the meal? But no! My chocolate brownie with raspberry sorbet arrived, and as the waitress placed it in front of me I could smell the burnt cake. It was still warm, so obviously had just been baked, served without thought, the smell was bad enough, but the taste was completely inedible! We were offered as compensation, a breakfast upgrade, but as two worn out workers, a lie in with breakfast in bed was what we were looking forward to. When we stayed in the excellent Manchester Malmaison, the beautiful breakfast served in the room was memorable! Two baskets with a wonderful selection of cereals, pastries, fruits and fresh juices. This time we didn't even hear the knock at the door....we were awake. It was just left outside our room on the floor, just one basket tray, which consisted of "cornflakes??" for cereal, and a few dried up pastries. The fruit was fresh, but the juice was not! Again so disappointing. We left feeling saddened that the amazing experience we had had a few years previously in Manchester, had by no means been repeated in Reading!
If Malmaison want to keep up its stylish upmarket reputation, then I suggest it seriously needs to look at the standard at Reading? We are from Cheltenham, and have a very good Hotel du Vin,that we visit frequently.....This is supposed to be the more reasonable end of the Malmaison chain, however it far surpasses our poor experience of this weekend!

Room Tip: Take a torch!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank helenjay2014
Dear helenjay2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I’m sorry to read that your experience at the hotel did not meet your expectation. We have investigated your issues and delt with all the points that you kindly raised regarding the Brasserie dinner and Breakfast tray.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Hampshire
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped for a weekend break with my wife the hotel is in a great location just off the city centre high street. Parking over the road NCP but you get it half price was very convenient. We've stayed in a number of the Malmaison group hotels and as ever good quality stylish accommodation. Large room for a standard double was great vfm can't recommend enough having had a dreadful experience at the Crazy Bear Beaconsfield this was a breath of fresh air ... Well done!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ry44

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stays with us, and thank you for your positive comments about your bedroom and the hotels location.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here as a couple on a special occasion in the mallard room on 29/03/14. Room was expensive, but very nice, lighting could be improved though. The extractor fan in the bathroom did not work which resulted in the bathroom being constantly steamed up. Considering this was the most expensive room available, we were annoyed to hear constant pounding on the ceiling of our room day and night as we situated below a busy area of the hotel. We did report this to be told that the soundproofing carpet must have slipped, which was disappointing as it continued throughout the stay and ruined the ambience. The bar and restaurant atmosphere was very good but the food was not great and overpriced. The cocktails were lovely.The team were a little disorganised as on 5 occasions a team member approached us with someone else's food or drink in the restaurant. In saying this the team were very polite & courteous. The location of the hotel is good and overall we did have a good break.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Mallard room if you intend to sleep
1 Thank Kim B
Dear Kim B

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us despite a number of issues with your stay. Thank you for your positive comments about the location, the staff and the Mallard suite and thank you for the feedback on the areas of your experience that we can improve moving forward.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon and please let me know if you return so that I can ensure that your next stay makes up for the shortfalls during your last.

Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was a great hotel, such a quick walk from Reading Station and the coach to Heathrow. Despite being in the middle of the city it was very quiet and the room was well appointed with a really comfy bed and nice bathroom. Best of all, when I left my iPhone charger behind they kept it and when I returned from holiday two weeks later and called on the off-chance they posted it to me and it arrived two days later! Thank you Malmaison

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Stella T

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stays with us and very glad that you were able to get your i-phone charger back! Thank you for your positive comments about the comfort of the room and the hotels location.

Kettering, England
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Friends generously treated us to a one-night stay at The Malmaison following the hotel's Berkshire Local Wine and Food event. We were greeted most courteously at Reception and shown to the GWR Suite on the fourth floor. The name is a reminder that the historic building housing it was the world's first railway hotel when Brunel built it in 1840 for the Great Western Railway. The suite was the last word in luxury: huge bed, two massive Smart TVs, large corner sofas, twin washbasins, spacious glass-box shower as well as a full-length bath, sophisticated toiletries, etc, etc.
After canapes and the local fizz, StanLake Brut, in the classy, atmospheric bar, about 20 of us moved to the beautifully- laid long table in an adjacent conference room where the first of 6 courses of locally-sourced food was served. The middle courses were accompanied by very generous servings of suitable wines chosen from the Stanlake Wine Estate range, bookended by Russet Ale from Loddon Brewery with the soup starter and a distinguished Australian red- Best's Great Western Shiraz Bin 0- with the Local Cheese Platter.(Climate change has some way to go before the UK can support the raising of full-bodied red wine grape varieties.) Each drinks serving was prefaced by a short introduction from the hotel manager, who also took his turn with the replenishing of his guests' glasses.Worthy of particular mention were the Fillet of Perch accompanied by the outstandingly good StanLake Bacchus white, and the Poached Fillet of Pork with which the Reserve, a light and fresh red, was served.
This was a hugely enjoyable, varied and convivial meal, with excellent service, and great value at £55 a head. I understand that similar themed dining events are a regular feature at the hotel and are, not surprisingly, fully subscribed.
The first-rate cooked breakfast the following morning was all the better for being prepared to individual order. Boxed Dorset cereals, home-made granola, a wide range of fresh fruits and larger than normal, well-insulated individual coffee carafes all played their part in elevating this breakfast above the usual hotel offering.
For historic reasons, the hotel has no parking though it could hardly be more convenient for the adjacent railway station. If you come by car and don't know Reading, make sure you plot your route to the nearby Garrard St. NCP multi-storey in advance using online maps or you could find yourself in difficulty.The high charges are mitigated by a hotel residents' concession: once parked, your ticket is given an additional barcode by Malmaison's reception staff and you park for only £10. The system worked just fine for us.
The dark, richly upholstered interior house decorating style of the Malmaison Group of hotels wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but we really enjoyed our time here and would return without hesitation.

Room Tip: High up at the back or side.
Dear Barnabee797

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your comprehensive review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and very glad that you enjoyed the Berkshire wine and food evening. We hold these wine dinners monthly and all of our up and coming wine dinners can be found on the Malmaison website. The GWR is one of our individualised studio suites and I am very pleased that you were able to enjoy its comforts.

welwyn garden city
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had an executive room at the front of the hotel , very noisy when the clubs turn out at the weekends, room fantastic tho, the hotel is lovely, staff friendly, bar pricy . I would at a malmaison again , prob not reading tho, 1 word of warning if your eyesight is poor , the lighting throughout the hotel is very moody and dark , you nearly have to feel your way round ,

Room Tip: Choose the rear of the hotel
1 Thank kazvid2427
Dear David A

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and the interaction you had with our team.

I do apologise that your experience was negatively affected by the noise in the room. Due to our city centre location, noise from local businesses can sometimes affect our guest’s peace. All our rooms are fitted with secondary glazing and sound proofing to minimise the noise entering the room. Also we are a dark and warm style of hotel and this is not to everyone’s taste, we are also looking at plans to increase the amount of lighting in some key areas of the hotel.