“Too dark and smelling like an old carpet”
Review of Malmaison Reading

Malmaison Reading
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
“Too dark and smelling like an old carpet”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel could be relatively decent, if you only could see your face while shaving, or not smell an unpleasant odor of old carpets in all the (very dark) corridors. My room had 2 windows facing both some huge air conditioning units (see photos). So it was like facing a wall!
Find another hotel when in Reading

• Stayed June 2014
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear frequentraveler65

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am surprised to read the comment regarding the ‘unpleasant odor’ in the corridors as this is not feedback that I have received from other guests or indeed my own observations. I will however ensure this is not a recurring issue.

If you do find yourself wishing to return to the hotel please let me know and I shall ensure that you have a room allocated on the top floor of the hotel or indeed a basement room that has a small patio area outside.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed in the GWR suite for our wedding night on 31 March 2014. Prior to our stay we had turned up twice without an appointment and asked to see the various suites at the hotel. Both times we were met with a warm, friendly and professional service and shown round the non-occupied suites by the duty manager.

On the day of our wedding we dropped off a bag early in the morning which the hotel held for us until our room was ready. We checked in about 10pm on the day, and were met with wishes of congratulations by reception. The suite was better than we remembered: spacious, stylish, loads of character, spotlessly clean, all mod cons, nothing worn or in need of replacement, loads of complimentary goodies and great toiletries etc.

We had a complimentary tray of chocolate dipped strawberries with a personalized and hand written congratulations card from the hotel. We rang reception for a ice bucket and within 5 minutes it was delivered.

The ONLY room for improvement was the service at breakfast. The staff, although friendly and apologetic when issues were raised, didn't seem to know what they were doing, and the service was slow. When my breakfast finally arrived it was wrong (and we then watched them re-serve to the correct guest even though I had disturbed it before I realised it wasn't mine), and then I had to wait ages for my order. And our toast never turned up.

BUT we would definitely go back, and, in our opinion, it's better value, and has much more character, than the Forbury.

Room Tip: GWR suite is very romantic and worth the rate. Heavy drapes kept the morning light out. Great bathro...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear hotelinspect77

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and very glad that you enjoyed the GWR, one of our individualised studio suites. I am also very pleased to read your feedback on both the friendliness and professionalism of the staff.

Your feedback on breakfast has been taken on-board and past to the Brasserie Manager for improvement.

Tampere
Reviewed 2 June 2014

First morning I went to shower and turned on the water. It was lukewarm. I put shampoo in my hair to wait for it to warm up. It became boiling hot and the temperature control wouldn't work, so I couldn't turn down the heat. I tried to turn it some more, let it sit for 10 minutes, and it was still boiling.

So, in towel and with shampoo in hair I called reception. They sent someone up who just turned the faucets around. They didn't know what to do so left. Reception called back 10 minutes later and asked me if I had tried to turn down the temperature. I informed that yes, of course that was the first thing I thought of when the temperature was too hot. They asked if I had let it sit. I said for 10 mins. Then they started to believe me and finally offered me another shower on my floor. I asked them to hurry as 30 minutes had passed, and I had a breakfast meeting.

15 mins later I finally got a shower to go to. I was escorted to the room and the person left. I got in the shower, turned on the water, tried to turn the temperature nozzle and the handle fell off in my hand. So this one was broken too. Now, I couldn't adjust the temperature in the new shower either. So much time had passed, so I just had to take a freezing cold shower. At least I could rinse though!

So, not a great first morning experience. I had to miss both breakfast and my breakfast meeting to get to the office. I was only offered sorries. No money back for missed breakfast, not even a free coffee, nothing. I didn't expect anything nor discount on room, but it would have been nice to say "Sorry you missed your breakfast you paid for and your meetings, so have a free drink or coffee on us."

I returned in the afternoon and maintenance had fixed the shower. So this was ok, but still only just "sorry that happened". So this is my main complaint. If anything should work, it is the shower in the morning when you are on a business trip in a hotel. I was 0 for 2!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear embj

Thank you for taking the time to write your review

I’m sorry to read the events that took place with your shower and that poor quality resolution that then followed. This is by no means the service level that we wish to deliver. Whilst maintenance issues do and will occasionally happen with bedrooms and indeed showers. It is not acceptable for your second shower to also have an issue.

Please do let me know when you wish to return to the hotel and I will ensure that you are allocated a suitable room to make up and apologise for your issues on this stay.

Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Malmaison is an Oasis of civility and peace, the staff are welcoming and the rooms stunning in their design and cleverly appointed - i have an ironing board hidden away in the wardrobe, everything is both stylish and pratical. The bed comfortable and sumptuous. Breakfast was delicious

Room Tip: If you do need to stay in Reading as for a room with no view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Christopher B
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Christopherjbarclay

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we are very glad to hear that you have found your ‘Oasis’ with us and we are very pleased that you enjoy our breakfast.

Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is ideally situated in Reading TC however that has its drawbacks. We had a room at the front overlooking the road which was noisy all night. The food in the restaurant was average and most of the staff in the restaurant were abrupt and direct. The reception staff were helpful and friendly. Watch out for the car park as we had difficulty getting out even though we had paid through the hotel. I doubt I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear DeniseElliott

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I’m very sorry to read that your experience with the Brasserie was not a positive one. We would very much appreciate more feedback regarding the specifics of the food and indeed service issues to help us to improve this vital aspect of our guests experience. If you have an opportunity to provide this feedback please do e-mail: Reading@malmaison.com.

I’m also sorry to read that your stay was negatively affected by external noise and the car park. I am unsure how you ‘paid with us’ as the only facility that we have at the hotel is a Barcode printer that provides a discount to the NCP payment machine, it is not however possible to pay for the parking directly with the hotel.

Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Me and my wife arrived on the 10th May and from the moment one to the moment we checked out it was an amazing experience. The staff were friendly and helpful and the suite we stayed in was probably one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in. Luxurious and stylish, we will be back soon! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go for a suite! *****
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ajit G

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I was very pleased to read your feedback on both the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the suite.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Initial impression of the hotel was not good ... and it went downhill from there! The reception area is black, matt black and very poorly lit. The hallways and elevators are the same. I've never visited a brothel but I imagine this is what one would look like on the inside - dark and seedy. I don't know what ambience they are trying to achieve but it certainly wasn't a romantic retreat for a married couple - maybe a place to visit if you're with someone you shouldn't be with.
The bedroom was just as bad - black walls, black decor and dimly lit. Makes you wonder what they are trying to hide. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with a huge and well equipped bathroom which again was black with low lighting. Everything that you would expect from a good hotel was there, it just didn't feel comfortable or clean (although it probably was).
Also, the night club next door closes at 3 am. The noise is fairly constant before then but really picks up at 3 when the club empties onto the street directly outside and this doesn't really die down until around 4am when the last of the stragglers and brawlers are moved on by staff or the police. We would have closed the window but the room was so stuffy - with useless air-conditioning and the oppressive black walls we felt like we were in a crypt.
We were looking forward to our time away together but we had a terrible experience here and will never, even remotely, consider staying in this hotel again. For £130 per night we could get so much better than this elsewhere

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert Y
Dear Robert Y

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I sincerely apologise that your experience at Malmaison Reading did not meet your expectations and that the style and décor of the hotel is not to your liking. We are indeed a dark and warmly decorated brand and we do understand that this is not to everyone’s personal choice. I was pleased that the facilities of the bedroom and bathroom were up to your expectation.

I am surprised to read the comment regarding the air conditioning as this is not a problem we are aware of or had had any similar feedback regarding.