“Bargain Chic”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Berkshire
“Bargain Chic”
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Booked 1 night for a weekend stay. No noise at all, in fact it was very quiet. The room was lovely, dark colours and cool. The bed the best in any hotel I can recall. For 89 pounds including a full breakfast for 2 people, it was amazing value compared to all the large chains we've stayed in. Dinner in the brasserie was excellent, the only slight gripe being the London sized mark ups on the wine, made up for by the very helpful and friendly Sommelier. Overall, I can't see what's not to like about this hotel. The staff are very obliging and attentive.

• Liked — Cool and chic room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wiltshire
Reviewed 8 September 2008

I had the pleasure of staying in the Mallard suite at Malmaison in Reading. Excellent room - best bath I have ever seen - my boyfriend is 6'5'' and he was able to stretch out full length for the first time in his life! Fun train set too. But what sets the hotel apart - the staff. Nothing is too much trouble but not too over attentive either. Lovely bar staff and breakfast team - and they even managed to track down a lighter for us to light all the candles in the already mentioned oh so glorious bathroom. Superb. Have paid far more for much less - very good value in my book.

Stayed September 2008
London
Reviewed 30 August 2008

We stayed at Malmaison on a Friday night whilst attending a wedding in Reading. We arrived at 12 midday and we needed to get changed for the wedding. The staff on the front desk were very friendly and managed to find us an available room so we could check in and get changed.

The room itself was 001, in the basement. It was very large and think must have been an upgrade from the basic room we ordered. It was fitted for wheelchair access. The lighting throughtout the whole hotel is dim in line with their other hotels and I like that though I imagine it is not to everyones taste.

We came back to the hotel following the wedding about 12am and had a drink in the bar, it was presented beautifully and the bar itself had great decor and was very comfortable. Oddly it was very quiet for a Friday night.

In summary the pros:
Friendly professional staff
The bed was comfortable
Powerful shower
Free tea and coffee facilities in room
Great internet special price of £79
Lovely bar and nice drinks
Full size complimentary toliteries
DVD player in room

And the cons:
Hard to think of any really but if I am being picky I'd say I would prefer 2 sinks in the bathroom.

I'd stay here again and I would recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Friendly professional service from staff and great decor
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hippotours
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2008

After reading the previous reviews I was concerned about the nightclub next door but was placed far away from it.

I got into Reading at 12.40 and went to the hotel to see if I could leave my case as I had to walk to the other side of town for a meeting. No problem they said and whilst they logged it another girl checked and found that a room was actually already ready.

The room (no. 218) is at the station end of the hotel and I was very impressed with the quality and the facilities in the room.

Superb comfortable bed and large room.

I got this in their summer deal (£99 per night) but have to say that it is worth more.

Would definitely use again

• Liked — Superb service
  • Disliked — Very dark corridors and lounge bar
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Kerrdo
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed here for one night over the bank holiday weekend for the reading festival. The location is brilliant, right outside the train station and a minutes walk up the the shops, 5 to the Oracle for the best shopping and lots of places to eat.

If you've staying in a Malmaison before (this is the 6th in the chain that we've stayed at) you know what to expect, dark contemporary furniture, polite and friendly staff. We had the most basic room (think it was 209), not a view to speak of, but it is a city centre, room much bigger than expected, we've certainly had smaller elsewhere in the chain. If I had to make a criticism it would be the temperature, the aircon barely pumped out any air, so it did get a bit uncomfortable in the room. Parking was at an NCP 1 minutes walk from the hotel, so very handy.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank matt_robertson
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We have just reurned from a one night stay at MalMaison, Reading. We booked the hotel from Laterooms.com and chose it because of its location. We were spending the weekend at Henley Regatta and wanted to be close to the station. The double bedroom was small, it was a tight squeeze for us both to be getting ready at the same time, the bed was extemeley comfortable and we would have had a great nights sleep apart from the noise from the nightclub in the early hours!!! THe bathroom was lovely and all the staff in the hotel were excellent, from reception to bar staff to the restaurant. The decor and lighting is dark and atmospheric which intially is really nice but after a while for me it it felt abit oppressive.

• Liked — Location - close to reading station
  • Disliked — Size of the bedroom
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DicknDan
Hampshire
Reviewed 26 June 2008

Just had our 2nd visit to Malmaison, and now convinced how much we like it! Location is city centre, right opposite train station - not good views from your bedroom window, but easy to get to, and a 2 minute walk to the centre of town. Reading seems to be a bit more stylish than when I used to live nearby about 6 years ago, and it has shaken off its down-at-heel reputation and has a lot of smart (chain) shops and restaurants.
Although it is in a busy area, with a vodka bar right next door, there is absolutely no outside noise within the hotel - as soon as the glass doors slide closed behind you, you are in a different world and the ambience is cool, clubby and sensual. We went for a romantic getaway, and it seemed there were a lot of couples staying overnight, but the bar and Brasserie had a mixture of businessmen, big tables of 30-somethings, and older family groups (though not children.) It seems the pricing is geared up towards business, so Sundays and midweeks are pricier, but we got a good rate for Saturday night - £89.
The staff throughout the hotel were charming, friendly and courteous, and actually seemed interested in whether you had enjoyed your stay/meal etc!
We have been lucky enough on both stays to be upgraded to one of the suites (always worth asking!), so this time we asked to see the other rooms, all of which have luxurious soft furnishings, wonderful bathrooms with large bottles of great toiletries to take home and lovely wallpaper! Strangely, but of particular note, the water pressure is really good, so not only are the showers fantastic, but the baths fill so quickly there are notices on the taps warning you not to walk off while running a bath! They all have free wireless internet access, and I-Pod speaker docks. Apparently just a couple of rooms are particularly poky – I’d advise checking with reception on booking that you haven’t got room 310! – but they are mostly a decent size, especially the garden rooms, and all have good sized bathrooms. My choice (if not a suite!) would be a garden room, but don’t expect too much – it just means there is a wall and a bit of laurel hedging between you and the road! The best room is Mallard which has a lobby, a screened bedroom area, a fantastic bathroom with an enormous beautiful wooden bath with twin shower heads over, a lounge area with patio, a second toilet…and it even has it’s own train set! On our first visit we stayed in "Ghan" –which has a lobby (with cupboards and coat stand!), huge tiled bathroom, dark-ish lounge area (although there are candles for added atmosphere - bring your own matches), and bedroom area. This latest visit we stayed in "GWR", which has a good-sized bathroom, nice leather sofas in the lounge area, and steps up to the bedroom area, which is behind a partition screen which has a tv facing the bed, and another facing the sofa. It also has lovely wallpaper that you can’t help but touch! It has a door which opens out onto a very small balcony, but there is no view, so only used it for ventilation! GWR has two (empty) fridges – we always take our own drinks and nibbles but you can buy lots of things off a menu from reception to fill it, rather than it being stuffed full of things you probably don’t want at exorbitant prices! The beds are supremely comfortable (the only place I won’t ever have to take my own pillow!) There is good lighting – both bright task- and ceiling spot- lights, and softer lamps, and good mirrors. My only criticism was that our room was uncomfortably hot on arrival, although they do all have individual air con, and some have a door to a terrace or patio.
The bar has a train theme, with cleverly designed carriage-type seats (and tables with integral wine coolers!) but it is not overly themed. Slightly weirdly, they have huge TV screens which whenever I have been there seem to play an endless channel of bikini-clad girls…I wouldn’t have felt comfortable taking my parents, but then the place isn’t aimed at that demographic! Similarly, in the toilets, they play borderline comedy shows – personally I prefer musak, but I guess if you happen to be in there on your own for a while, it might help pass the time.
We have eaten at the Brasserie both times, and I am surprised it isn’t busier, because the service, food, wines are all excellent – and we are very picky customers! The modern-British styled menu has some Malmaison-group dictated dishes, but also a good proportion of the menu is apparently designed by their own chef, and it all sounded good! Notably, I really enjoyed the bread – warm, freshly-cut French bread with a fantastic tapenade – and for starter I had a perfectly cooked duck’s egg with asparagus soldiers beautifully served on a wooden board. For main I went with the waitress’s recommendation of the trout dish on the menu - not what I would have chosen, but she made it sound so good - and I was very pleased with it. The staff really seemed to know their stuff – more so than you’d expect from a Brasserie, and they were all very pleasant and attentive without being intrusive. The restaurant manageress was particularly friendly and charming. The French sommelier was very knowledgeable, especially at matching the wine with the food order, but trying to remember his verbal recommendations after he left the table was a bit tricky – I would have preferred it if he had pointed them out to us on the list – and although they have a good range of prices, I felt the ones he recommended were all the expensive ones! Even so, we had a Pouilly Fuisse (£48) which was perfect with all our dishes. Next time I will try a couple of their wines by the glass as they had an interesting selection, and also apparently (I read later) you can have the wines written out for you in case you want to buy them elsewhere – nice touch.
Breakfast is very nice (better at the weekend – but maybe that’s because midweek the businessmen have all snaffled the nicest pastries before we get up!) and their Eggs Benedict is excellent. Sunday morning had Radio 2 playing Steve Wright’s programme, but that was ok. The chairs are very comfortable for a relaxing meal, but try for a big table if you want to actually read your Sunday paper!
All in all, one of the best hotels I've stayed in, with great ambience and excellent food.

• Liked — ambience
  • Disliked — room temperature
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple