“Malmaison”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Reading
London, United Kingdom
“Malmaison”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This is a lovely boutique hotel close to Reading station and not far from the shops bars and restaurants the city has to offer.

The staff were friendly and attentive. My room was very cosy with all modern facilities to hand including a massive telly and the bathroom was enormous. I didn't use the bath although it was very enticing, but the shower was fabulous.

This was a lovely hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alex A
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Alex A

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review and we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoy the Malmaison experience!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have just got home after a 2 night stay at this brilliant Hotel. It is my Husband's 30th birthday so decided to stay in Reading as only a 30 minute train ride to London and got a great deal online with the hotel directly. We are familiar with Malmaison hotels (have stayed in the Liverpool one a few times) and love the decor, although it maybe a bit dark for some people. I like that as it used to be a railway building that the hotel has carried on with this theme.
Before we arrived I emailed the hotel to explain that it was a special occasion and that I am 8 months pregnant...they very kindly upgraded our room and put us on the opposite side of the building from the Starbucks they have in the Hotel. They also brought a complimentary cocktail to our room and made sure mine was non-alcoholic, this was very thoughtful and I was very impressed at how they had gone that extra mile for us.
The hotel is a 2 minute walk to the train station and there are plenty of shops and restaurants around. We ate in the hotel restaurant on the 1st night, very tasty and huge portions and the creme brûlée was amazing!
The room itself was huge! It was a superior room and I was surprised at just how big it was, the bathroom was practically the same size as the main room. The bed was very comfy and a massive king size. Again, the decor was dark but we like this, at there was lots of velvet and everything is of very good quality.
I would happily stay at this hotel again instead of central London hotel, especially with the quick transport links. I would also chose a Malmaison over other chains as and when I can. Thank you Malmaison Reading for starting off my husbands birthday celebrations in style! :-)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor away from Starbucks.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear helgarbabe1

Thank you for taking the time to write your fantastic review and we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am so pleased that our team helped to provide the special touches that started your husbands birthday off in style!

As you pointed out we are so close to London, only 25-30minutues by train from Reading to Paddington. So next time you need to be in London we look forward to looking after you.

Thank you once again for your review and choosing Malmaison Reading.

Yateley, UK
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Well. If looks and atmosphere counted, then Malmaison delivers. Nice décor. Great staff. Decent sized rooms (but you pay for that). Good shower. However ....
I booked this expecting it to be different to the Edinburgh Malmaison I had stayed in before. But no .. still one of the hardest beds I have ever slept on. I know its a very difficult thing for a hotel to choose the correct amount of stiffness for a bed .. but surely slightly too soft is better than trying to sleep on something which felt like a futon! I have one more night to go .. and am already dreading it.

Room Tip: I was on the first floor and near the road .. but the double glazing is very good! (Just make sure...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Pete2306

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am very pleased to read your feedback on the staff and hotel décor.

Regarding the bed firmness, I’m sorry to read that you found the bed very hard. As you also alluded to; mattress firmness can be a personal preference and we do receive lots of positive feedback regarding our beds as well as some feedback saying the beds are too soft. It’s very difficult to find the right balance. Please let us know when you return to Malmaison Reading and I will ensure that your room is allocated with an extra Mattress protector to help soften the bed.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Birmingham, UK
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed for one night at this hotel whilst in Reading for business. It's right opposite the train station so perfectly located for those travelling on public transport.
The hotel is nice, very chic looking once you get inside. The bar and restaurant areas are also very attractive. I stayed in a deluxe room on the 1st floor (overlooking the train station). The room was really nice, albeit very dark (even with all the lights on). TV signal was poor and un-watchable (spoke to a couple of other guests who highlighted the same problem so it wasn't just my room).
We didn't eat at the hotel on the evening so I cannot comment on that, however it was a short 10 minute walk to the Oracle where you'll be inundated with riverside restaurants.
I echo comments from another reviewer about the noise from Starbucks. My room must have been directly above the coffee outlet and so I found myself awake and unable to get back to sleep at around 5.30am.
Breakfast was delicious, the 'full' english is just the right size and the ingredients are incredibly tasty!
Overall it was a pleasant stay. Knocked a star off for the Starbucks noise and the dark room.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that isn't directly above the Starbucks outlet (unless you're an early ri...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear mikey_westmids

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that breakfast was so well received.

Regarding the TV signal. At the time of your stay and for a day and half around this period we had an issue with a number of Freeview channels, where the signal was very unclear, we had an engineer out who realigned our areal, but we are unsure why this suddenly became an issue, I’m sorry that this effected your experience.

The noise from Starbucks doesn’t typically effect rooms above the store so I will discuss this with the Starbucks Manager and operational team.

Thank you once again for the review and we do hope that we get to welcome you back to Malmaison Reading again soon. Hopefully next time you will try dining in the Brasserie.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Me and my partner have been to Malmasion in Reading a few times now. Its is a lovely building inside and has beautiful rooms. This time we stayed in Orient Express 111. This is a suite room and set us back £134.00.
Check in was slow as was a big queue but lady at desk was super helpful.
Entered room and was blown away. Only thing i was not impressed with was that the tissue box only had 2 tissues in it. So clearly had not been re stocked.
What does seem to annoy me a ltitle is that there are loads to candle holders but they don't supply you with any candles. Which seems pretty tight to me.
The wooden bath that is the room was FILTHY!! It had white powdery stuff in all the corners and stains on the wooden plank.
The sofa in the room was not exactly clean......I think you may all gather what kind of stains.
We opened the window a little and all i could smell was smoke from were people smoke downstairs outside the building. YUCK!!!!!
Apart from that the room was stunning and floor was clean! Bed was rather comfy and the moonsoon shower / wet room was brilliant.

A response would be nice please.

Room Tip: The higher the room is the less noise from outside that you get from people walking past and so on.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lizzie G

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I’m sorry for the issues that you found with the bedroom. I have brought these to the attention of the housekeeping team, the bath is a more challenging issue as whilst it is cleaned everyday, as a teak bath some marks can only be removed by sanding down the hole bath and refurbishing it. This is a task that is planned for later on in the year.

Regarding the noise and smoke from outside I’m sorry this negatively effected your stay, as I’m sure you can imagine it is difficult for us to control this type of behaviour outside of the hotel.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon and on your next stay please do let us know so we can assign another room for you to enjoy and hopefully be equally wow’d.

Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Service was friendly at reception and in the bar, rooms were nice. Good central location in Reading; great for the train station ad the Oracle shopping centre and restaurants. The car park in an NCP one and just looks awful and dirty though - not a nice environment to have to walk thru.

I didn't eat at the hotel, but the drinks were served well in the bar; and the bar tender was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Richard L, General Manager at Malmaison Reading, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Gee_Monkey

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I’m sorry that you found the neighbouring environment a little unpleasant. I am however really glad that you found all the staff to be friendly and helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon and next time your have to experience the Brasserie dining.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Had a amazing time here was made special from the moment we arrive to when we left we stayed in the mallard suite it was amazing like I hoped it would be the teak bath was run for us rose petals all over the lovely bed and lovely card with a bottle of champagne chilled and waiting and we just chillied out until the evening meal which was divine as well and the swans and more champagne and lovely cocktail as well and had a lovely nice sleep in the four poster bed and breakfast this morning was lovely to the homemade granola :-) the only downside is that the room is a bit dark especially when u close the bedroom doors and working the lighting was a bit confusing we will be back to visit again simon and carole wiltshire_reddevil@hotmail.com :-)

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Simon M

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we are very glad that you enjoyed the Mallard suite and your Malmaison Brasserie experience for your celebratory evening! I’m really pleased that the team were able to look after you both so well and help make the stay very special.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Malmaison Reading again soon.