“A gem”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Rochdale
“A gem”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Found this by accident, and so glad I did. The first night I was late and wanted to watch the football, I was given room service of ham and cheese toasty and home made chips. Brilliant. Breakfast was fine and served by extremely friendly staff. It was nice to be somewhere so informal yet professional and accommodating. My friends stopped the second night, the food was delicious and again the service very attentive.

The room was large and had everything you needed, and to top it all they found me an umbrella to stop me getting wet during a morning walk. A definite gem.

Room Tip: I had room 5 which had a bath, it overlooked the road, but was well double glazed and you could hear...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Thameside Hotel on Valentines Day with my husband. Our room was beautifully decorated and very clean. We also enjoyed a romantic dinner at the restaurant (AROMA CAFE)
The food was delicious,the staff was very professional and friendly.
We definitely will stay here again on our next trip to Reading!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Would go back for definite next time we visit. Every need was catered for. Breakfast was lovely best cooked eggs we have had ever! The chef and all the staff were so friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was cosy and very clean. The hotel was close to pubs and restaurants and within walking distance of Reading town centre. Fully recommend this hotel. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013
thamesreading, Owner at Thameside Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review the Thameside Hotel on Tripadvisor.Our aim is to provide
the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us and it is always helpful
when our guest pass their comments and experience to us.

We thank you for choosing the Thameside Hotel and look forward to welcoming you both on your
next stay in Reading.

Kind Regards
Julie
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I'm not a fan of fancy corporate hotels, and the Thameside isn't one. It's clean, comfortable, well located and most important family run. Julie and her husband Brian own and run the place and are justifiably proud of their hotel. It's almost like staying at your mothers place. The food's great, coffee is the best I've had in England, rooms are clean and comfortable, there's just nothing to complain about.
Julie goes out of her way to make you feel welcome, and the rest of the staff follow her lead. I'd go back in a minute, if only to see Julie!

Room Tip: We asked for a suite, and the one we got was great. Good bed, big bathroom, flat screen tv and a nic...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the thameside Hotel.We are delighted that you have enjoyed our food,coffee and most of all our services.

It was our pleasure to have you as guests and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards
Julie
Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed here on business for 1 night. Free parking at rear of hotel - had to ask hotel how to get to car park though.
Really friendly owner who seemed to be doing everything, check-in, serving coffee, answering phone. Next morning serving breakfast handling check-in and check out - nothing was too much trouble.
Very warm room with a comfortable bed.
Free WI-FI which worked !
Very handy for shops & restaurants in town.

Good freshly cooked breakfast - nice coffee.
Would recommend if visiting Reading and want centrally located family run hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I only stayed here for one night, but I was completely satisfied with everything.

There is a well lit and convenient car park at the rear of the hotel which is great as it is difficult to park in the local streets, it is free as well - always a positive.

There was a very friendly greeting at reception and it was like there was nothing that was a bother. They have an area to eat, and a bar with a selection of drinks to choose from. It has a very welcoming feel overall.

I was shown to my room on the first floor, and it was ideal for the purpose, an ironing board, hair dryer, flat-screen TV, and plenty of power sockets, which is a big problem I have in hotel rooms these days!

My bed was comfy and the room clean and warm. Just what you need.

I was shown the evening menu, and I ordered a meal that was delivered to my room. It was absolutely delicious and I later found out that it was cooked by the owner - my compliments go to her completely!

The Thameside Hotel is a great place to stay and very well priced - I highly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2013

You can't miss the red-fronted cafe-enticing frontend of this hotel along the busy Caversham road, literally 10-15 mins walk from the station (vastern road exit),(once you navigate the entrance), and 5 min taxi ride to the centre. form Vastern road, dual carriageway, make you way to the left (east) cross over, take caversham road..and....2 mins later. Be Aware..pavements are thin along this dual carriageway
The end of the side road leads to the Thames (3-min walk). Don;t be fooled by name, it won;t offer views of the river

The Radiator should have been set under the window let alone at the ceiling, and this really could make a difference despite the thoughtful touch of large air gap double glazing, thus a warm clothing is advised on at least some rooms seasonal-depending

Nevertheless, complimentary tea/coffee upon stay is typcial of the family-run hotel of the rooms, with wooden flooring at times, large draped windows, with additional warm-coloured curtains.and bedlinen, with period-copy wardrobes. Bathrooms had nice touches seemed to have 4-star decor, budgeted with top-end B&q fixings, not that this is a necessarily a criticism, as wear & tear must be accounted for
Overall this feels like a over-priced (£79GBP standard tarif) yet very warm & friendly B&B

Room Tip: Rooms 14-24 include steps & /or stairs,
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hotel I
thamesreading, General Manager at Thameside Hotel, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.I was obviously disappointed to read your comments on the River views, radiator and over priced room tariff.I am sorry on this occasion
we have not met your expectations.

However,I would like to clarify the raditor on the celing is an air conditioning unit.There is a further radiator on the wall in the bedroom which is a source of central heating.The Hotel had beautiful river views until there are private flats built at the rear. Our aim is to give the best value and service to all our guest you choose to stay at the Thameside Hotel.

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts

Very best wishes