“Great Central Hotel, lovely staff and parking”
Review of Thameside Hotel

Thameside Hotel
Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Central Hotel, lovely staff and parking”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I am a regular traveler to Reading and stayed at a number of hotels, however, I settled on this one a long time ago.

Location is brilliant, right next to the river for an evening walk, or 5 minutes to the train station and center of Reading. The free parking is also a huge bonus in the center of Reading.

The breakfast options are excellent with a wide choice from menu, or self serv. The staff wouldn't let you leave hungry.

The rooms are decorated as nicely, with some rooms, far larger that you would expect, with free WiFi throughout the hotel

All members of staff are very friendly, attentive, approachable, knowledgeable and genuinely wanted to ensure we had a lovely time, and get the best out of your stay

If you fancy a beer or evening food, the team happily accommodate and will stay up and serve the bar as late as you like!

Overall, I would recommend to all travelers. Stay away from the no face chains and try out the Thameside!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I booked two rooms here after reading all the great reviews, however I think I must have ended up in a different hotel. The hotel location is in a 'dodgy' area which is not so nice and it's not on the side of the Thames rather reasonable close to where the Thames is. The hotel has multiple security cameras and warning signs about not leaving valuables in your car - makes you think the car park may not be so safe - which is down a very narrow alley. The car park is littered with discarded items (a rather dodgy 80's bar for instance) and barred windows and doors etc. The rear entrance was grubby and worn. The welcome at reception was ok but not as super friendly as many make out. We were shown up a worn dark carpeted 1980 looking staircase to two dreary, old, worn bedrooms - both had curtains closed to block out the views of furniture stacked room/alleys. Neither room looked like any of the photo shown on trip advisor. My bathroom was old, dirty and worn - stains in the sink and tiles etc. Shower over the bath was old and barely working. We decided not to both with breakfast and just left in the morning unimpressed. All that for £89 a room.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Newcasrle
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed at the Thameside on a recent trip to Reading and although it was recommended, I was very pleasantly surprised by the FANTASTIC level of Service I received. This is a family run business and the atmoshpere created by this family is very warm, welcoming and friendly. As other guests have stated nothing is too much trouble for these guys. I felt completely looked after without having the feeling of staff "hanging over" you or being too personal. This family seem to have the "Knack" of getting it spot-on. I was only there for two days and I felt I that I'd known them for years. Anyway, it was only after booking I heard that such a good position had been achieved on Trip Advisor - I can quite easily tell why. In summary I would like to thank Julie, Rishi, "Evans" and The Big Fella who does cook an Excellent Breakfast. I thoroughly recommend this Hotel for anyone staying in Reading whatever the reason, as I will not be looking for anywhere else on future trips. I only hope I can still get a place nex time I come to book!

Room Tip: Room 8 was very comfortable indeed - if you don't mind walking up a few flights of stairs.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Thameside Hotel. The staff are extremely welcoming and can't do enough for you. The breakfast was great and the downstairs cafe bar is really useful for meetings clients or working. They serve really good coffee and a good selection of beer. The room was basic but had everything I needed, a nice change from the standard hotel rooms in chains. I will be back there next time I stay in Reading.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2013

stayed here almost by accident - I was looking for a change from the usual corporate hotels and definitely found it.

the service was impeccable, nothing was too much trouble - the food was great and reasonably priced and the room was comfortable, clean and very quiet.

I'd definitely stay again.

Very impressed

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stay here on a weekly basis, it is superb and ticks so many boxes. It is family run business and they are all so very friendly and personable. It is a comfortable stay from start to finish and I shall continue to stay here until visits to Reading are no longer required.

Rochdale
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Found this by accident, and so glad I did. The first night I was late and wanted to watch the football, I was given room service of ham and cheese toasty and home made chips. Brilliant. Breakfast was fine and served by extremely friendly staff. It was nice to be somewhere so informal yet professional and accommodating. My friends stopped the second night, the food was delicious and again the service very attentive.

The room was large and had everything you needed, and to top it all they found me an umbrella to stop me getting wet during a morning walk. A definite gem.

Room Tip: I had room 5 which had a bath, it overlooked the road, but was well double glazed and you could hear...