“Very good”
Review of Thameside Hotel

Thameside Hotel
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Overall a nice experience. Food is good so is the service. Room was reasonably comfortable and staff went out of ther way to accommodate my requests. Would defend tally recommend this hotel for a good service and attentive staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank John W

Reviewed 23 October 2013

After leaving probably the worst hotel in reading the Central Travel lodge I arrived at the Thameside as I pulled up my initial thought was oh no , the red bubble style shades on the exterior do absolutely nothing for first impressions as I genuinely only see these now on dated 80,s hotels
However I walked into something entirely different a stylish chic boutique hotel it's like being transported into a different world !
The receptionist was really warm and friendly and personally escorted me to my room explained everything and if I needed anything to ask

See attached photos of room V nice I like there's no carpet a solid oak floor , iron and board in the room descent size tv comfortable bed plenty of tea coffee , trouser press. Quality air con and shower all in all very impressed with the room
Breakfast is buffet style help yourself in a clean dining room all quality products not from catering suppliers cornflakes are Kellogg's etc
So many hotels cut corners on breakfast nowadays which for me aggravates me and sets the day off on a low ebb , but maybe that's just my age !!
I can only commend the Thameside and say thank you v much

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was dropped off outside t5he hotel and was initially a bit concerned , however looks are definately decieving.
Upon entering i was warmly greeted and nothing seemed a problem.
The room was clean and tidy and the bed was very comfortable.
The staff and porter were very friendly and helpfull at all times

I will certainly be back when next in Reading

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

First thing to say I am fortunate in business to have stayed in some really luxurious 5 star hotels and it is sometimes difficult as a consequence when doing comparisons but I will try and be fair.

The positive were the staff, they were very nice and friendly and couldn't do enough and the rooms were clean.

The down side was the hotel had a bit of a DIY feel about all the fixtures, fittings etc. so don't expect the Ritz but then again the bill won't be the same.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SocksD
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Historically we stayed with my father-in-law when we visited Reading, however, this past May we were unable to do so since we had our 11-month daughter in tow for the first time. We chose this hotel based on reviews and location (it was a few blocks away from his house). We could not have been more impressed. We were offered a free upgrade since the room was available and they heard we were bringing a baby and were given the suite. The room was spacious, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was more than big enough. The kitchen was stocked with whatever we needed, and there was even a nice dining table, soft, and tv. For breakfast, they treated us like royalty, and even specially made my daughter some eggs and toast which she loved. The staff always greeted us by name, and smiled at my daughter. Even the cafe attached had wonderful coffee and milkshakes. A wonderful visit - highly recommended! It's also conveniently located next to several restaurants, takeaways, and off-licenses and only a 10 minute walk to the train station and the city centre.
We did not have a car, but I can see how the car park is hard to get in and out of. Unfortunately that's to be expected in the middle of a city.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We have stayed in a few hotels in this area whilst visiting relatives. This one is probably the best value for a short stay. We stayed one night, our room was ok but rather small for a double. It was at the front of the hotel, overlooking the busy street, and so quite noisy. The car park is tricky to find, but staff are very helpful and once you know where it is, it's fine. Good cooked breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I never write reviews, its just not my thing but really wanted to write a positive one for the Thameside hotel, especially after reading ruthielarks one one that ended ' taking advantage of festival-goers because of their convenient location'. I have been going to Reading Festival for years - actually decades to be truthful lol. I have slept in tents, cars and now older I have tried various b and bs /hotels. I know that as with any hotel some rooms are better than others but all considered I feel like I have struck gold with what is by far the best value friendliest place to stay when compared with everything else. Questioning ruthielarks complaints - If a working person (in shock horror a dirty jacket from working) shouted at me to move my car I would assume its because I have parked in a wrong place and would be grateful it might have prevented my car from being clamped - even if their tone may have been not right - but hey I was not there. I was there for breakfast however and It seems strange to complain about the breakfast, I am a vegetarian and felt v happy with a pretty complete help yourself buffet of all the usual stuff - cooked breakfast, (choice of boiled and fried tomatoes,) cereals, fruit, snacks and the usual orange drinks wide varieties of tea coffee etc. what was ruthielarks looking for caviar nut roast ? Breakfast times are displayed in the room and is there that much difference between any loo roll these days ? Sometimes hotels are a bit slack on replacing loo roll and no hotel ever leaves enough milk for my tea needs, but I take 5 minutes to ask for more and do not let it spoil my weekend or cause bad feeling, life is just too short ! Maybe Ruthielarks was just having a bad weekend. and I as usual I had a good weekend here. Every hotel is expensive for Reading Festival weekend but this is the best deal if you can get any room at all. I judge service less by any problem that can happen and more by how people react to it, help or maybe even to clarify a misunderstanding.. At Thameside I rarely need to ask for anything but if I need to they are very helpful.. I have found it a very clean and friendly Hotel with good service in a fantastic location for what I am looking for. It is more a family run establishment than a corporate business. Just to be clear I have stayed at Thameside for the last 5 years for the Reading festival weekend and keep returning because I like it there. I am already looking forward to next year. I only know the people there from these stays and am writing this as i have found it a great place to stay. That has been my experience :-)
Colin

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
thamesreading, Manager at Thameside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear reviewer

Thank you for your kind words and we appreciate you reviewing our hotel.We value all our customer
comments.

We're look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Best Regards