“A gem of a hotel”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A gem of a hotel”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great stay for two nights - family run and made to feel very welcome with excellent service and food - including home made curry !! Breaksfast was delicious and with plenty of choice for all tastes. Room was spotless and nothing was too much trouble. Great location for trains to London (10 minute walk to station then 20 mins into Paddington) and 10 mins walk to Reading town centre. Great value as also includes free Wifi and Air condiitoned rooms. My family and I will definently be staying here again.

Room Tip: After chatting to other guests all rooms seem to be decorated to a high standard with triple glazing...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wantage, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Thameside Hotel, the owners were fantastic catering for everything I asked for. The rooms were spotless and very clean. The food was fabulous and I will certainly be coming back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel is a must! Easy to find has parking spaces at the back with no extra cost which I find very rare now a days. The hotel offer free wifi and lovely Mediterranean feel I especially loved sitting out the front area with a delicious Pimms made by the warm and friendly staff. The room I had was lovely and clean with air con which help me get a great night sleep in this heat. The hotel is also located just a short walk to the centre of reading I will be staying here again in fact I have just booked my next stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Thameside Hotel management and staff feel like being apart of a big family. I am on business travel and finding a place with a welcoming atmosphere where they make every effort to answer my questions about traveling in a place I have never been, which was very refreshing. I would come back here every time I travel to the UK. I stayed here for two weeks and very sad to leave. The location is convenient to all shops, train, and pubs. I walked daily to train which is one of the biggest hubs to all your locations. The breakfast is very delicous and hospitality is like mom and dad making sure you have everything you need. I will always come back to visit to just drop in for a great coffee and conversation. I would highly recommend this location for anyone traveling abroad who loves family atmosphere. I will surely miss this location and family. Thank you so much for everything.

• Stayed July 2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Only tried the Thameside Hotel because the others were fully booked. Will definitely go back. Very friendly - great location. I thought I had left a charger there and they made every effort to find it. Cant ask for more.

Stayed July 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed here as a result of the good reviews this hotel has had on this site.

Frankly they are too generous.. The website gives a totally misleading impression of the quality of the place.

The hotel is made up of 3 terraced houses knocked together. The conversion has been cheaply done and the hotel feels messy and illogical. Some of the new partition walls are very thin.

It is on an extremely busy main road with traffic flowing day and night. I had room 1 which is on the ground floor at the front. Although the room had secondary glazing the traffic noise was still audible.

The room itself was very small; the ensuite shower and loo was tiny. There was a small built-in wardrobe which felt jerry-built.

The air conditioning wasn't working, and as the weather was hot the room got extremely warm. I couldn't open the windows because of the traffic noise.

The room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. The large-screen TV had a good range of satellite channels. However Wi-Fi is an extra - ridiculous in this day and age.

The hotel is, as other people have said, reasonably handy for the railway station but quite a long way from Reading city centre - a tax ride really.

In terms of value for money it is a rip-off - I paid £96 room only. I stayed at the Pentahotel in Reading earlier this year and got a fantastic room in a far more central position for £120.

I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Maybe try to get a room at the back.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Although difficult to find, even with GPS, and parking a little tricky, the staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was small but adequate for my needs and very clean. The location was very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel