“Really Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #102 of 610 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located right opposite the Broad Street Mall in Reading's city centre, ASK Italian offers affordable Italian cuisine in smart, modern surroundings. Well known throughout the UK for their contemporary style and excellent value Italian food, ASK Italian restaurants are a popular dining destination, particularly amongst the after work crowd. The menu is wide and varied, offering mouth watering dishes such as cod and pancetta fishcakes served with a lemon and parsley dip or beef meatballs in a spicy sauce served on top of rigatoni pasta. Desserts shouldn't be missed either with tiramisu and lemon tart on offer. ASK Italian in Reading is a favourite for Italian food and it's easy to see why.
Reading, United Kingdom
“Really Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Excellent service and really good food. Top selection. Highly Recommended. Good drinks choice too. Will return.

Visited September 2013

Reading, UK
“Best of the Italian Chains”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I am not a fan of chains usually but ASK do seem to get the basics right on a consistent basis. Friendly & efficient staff, clean tables, contemporary feel and decent food. Prices are ok to start with several mains under a tenner but add a BOGOF or Tesco Clubcard Voucher and it becomes excellent value for money.

You can’t go wrong with the Oven Baked Butterfly King Prawn starter. It’s the priciest starter (seafood always is) but it is cooked very well i.e. not overdone and chewy and I am yet to have a bad one. The main pasta dishes may not be authentic dishes (e.g. the Carbonara is made with cream) but they have a clean taste to them and pasta cooked fresh (unlike Pizza Express where they just stick a premade bowl into the pizza oven). The calzone pizza is also nice.

I think 5 stars is a bit much but I am more than happy to give 4 based on my expectation level at this budget and the fact it’s a chain restaurant. I would be happy to eat here again and look ASK out above the others tired and 0 effort chains.

• Visited August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent pizza”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

We had a really nice lunch here and the service was friendly and efficient. Both our pizzas were excellent and I particularly enjoyed the Prosciutto and buffalo mozzarella pizza. We had one of the antipasti plates each and enjoyed sharing those. Prices are reasonable and there is a nice choice of wine.

• Visited August 2013
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Excellent, Excellent, Excellent!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

I was really happy with the food at Ask, Reading. I only popped in for a salad after a long Sunday walk but I ended up staying for 3 courses! It was excellent.

The menu was large and varied and the quality of the food was surprisingly fantastic. I started with a taster dish - olives, salami, cheese and 'WARM' brushetta. Very nice to receive warm brushetta and the olives were large and seasoned.

I ordered calamari with my salad - it was AMAZING! The squid pieces were circular (rather than strings), squid pieces were large and very well cooked so the squid was not rubbery, the batter was light and there was plenty of pieces on the plate. It really was the best calamari I have had anywhere!

My chicken salad was fantastic. It came with bacon pieces, avacado and a mustard sauce that was so light and full of flavour I ate the whole lot and I usually don't finish the sauce. The chicken was hot and the chicken pieces were large. There was plenty of lettuce and tomato - it really was a great salad.

I only popped in for a quick salad but because I was enjoying the food so much I ordered a dessert and a liquor coffee too - THIS NEVER HAPPENS!!!! :)

I had a peacon pie that came with ice cream and the flavours in both were fantastic. Every course was a pleasant surprise. My liquor coffee was made correctly with cream (many restaurants don't do this) and I left a tip because the service and the atmosphere deserved it.

I usually walk past Ask but I will look forward to visiting again. They had seats outside too.

• Visited April 2013
Bagshot, United Kingdom
“Sunday lunchtime”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Me and my wife popped in whilst shopping for the day in Reading, the service was friendly, relaxed and the waiter was helpful with good advice on the wine and food, the food was tasty, with good size portions, we were happy with the cost of the meal and would visit again.

• Visited April 2013