“Nice food, nice staff”

Toby Carvery Caversham Bridge
Ranked #334 of 631 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Toby Carvery Caversham. When it comes to roast dinners, we really know our stuff. Every day our chefs lay on a feast of tender, hand-carved meats with all the trimmings - including towering Yorkshire puds, golden roasties with all those lovely little crunchy bits, and plenty of freshly prepared veg, all crowned with proper gravy. So it's no wonder we're Caversham's favourite carvery restaurant. Drop by and you'll find lots more on offer, including cooked breakfasts and tasty specials.
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was staying in the Premier Inn next door and ate here. The Food was very nice, and staff were efficient and attentive.

Would definately come back without hesitation.

Daniel D, General Manager at Toby Carvery Caversham Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

thank you for your positive comments they are very important to us

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This restaurant can be very hit and miss with food and service. Carvery meat is usually good but vegetables can be just warm rather than hot and can look a bit tired unless you arrive when the place opens. Tables a bit close together if you want a quiet chat with your companions.

thanks for taking the time to review we appreciate your feed back

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I arrived late to the Saturday luncheon with friends, at the Toby. This must have been about the tenth time we have visited over the last 36 months and things still need improving. There is the issue of the disable parking for the restaurant. Once again we arrived to find the two disable spaces in use (no problem) but this meant that the wheelchair users in our group had great difficulties again. Something must be done because it is no fun trying to get into the driving seat from a wheelchair with the car door half open.
The restaurant was nearly empty when I arrived. So we had brilliant service of a kind with the table being served (brought to the table) salads by the waiting staff. As I was late I choose to have a carvery. There was no line and no staff behind the food to serve. I had to wait until someone came out then until they put away the plates etc before I was served. I had beef a very small portion was provided and found that the meet was not very tender in fact it was chewy. The leeks were tasteless and chewy as well.
Drinks I was shock when I went to ask a member of staff for a drink to be told that I had to go to the bar myself, That is go to the bar, order, pay, and bring the drink back even when it is obvious that the group is disable and the staff wee not busy. When I came to eat my meal I found that I was missing a fork so I went up to a member of the staff who had just started cleaning a table and asked for a fork. The member of staff finished cleaning the table and just walked off to another table and cleaned that one as well. In the end I went to another member of staff and asked for the fork he was just placing onto a table in readiness for the next customer.
As we were leaving some of us went to the loo. The disable toilet was occupied so they struggled upstairs to the non disable toilets then got lost returning to the restaurant. Shock the disable toilet was not being used by a customer but by a member of staff. I though that all eating establishments had to provide staff with their own toilets.
I know that a meal at this restaurant is cheap but come on the service and food should have gotten better. Why are the staffs not being trained?

we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit thank you for taking the time to feed back

Reviewed 7 September 2013

This seemed like an attractive offer to begin with - an all you can eat buffet breakfast for £3.99 per adult. But it really is horrid. The queue in which you wait to be seated/order/pay is long and slow, Add to that a serve yourself coffee/tea area that is dirty with the milk warming in a jug on the side. The place was really busy with people taking huge advantage of the 'all you can eat' deal. We were sat next to a large group of teenagers using foul language and drinking beer they had bought from the nearby petrol station. All in all I would much rather pay more for a nicer experience somewhere else.....

1  Thank thelittlecarrot

we are now under new management but would like to thank you for taking the time to review

Reviewed 27 August 2013

For £3.99 you can have a Breakfast & eat as much as you like..Lovely crispy bacon/sausage's/egg's/hash browns'/bean's/tomato's/mushroom's & even toast or just bread..Butter included & jam pkts...Really enjoyed ourself's & walked out full up..

thanks for your review we appreciate