“Great for all the family”
Review of Reading Museum

Reading Museum
Ranked #7 of 92 things to do in Reading
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Explore our galleries of amazing objects local and global. There’s something for everyone from biscuit tins to beetles, Romans to Rodin. We are a venue for business functions, weddings and live music
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Came here with my mum and sister. It has loads of activities and a really good trail.
I never thought the Baeux Tapestry would be so big! Also has some very nice mosaics.

All reviews
"roman times"
in 5 reviews
"interesting exhibits"

Reviewed 2 February 2014

My partner and I took our respective grandchildren here but were so disappointed with the exhibits (apart from the Bayeux Tapestry). There weren't many and whilst there were a few things for the children to do they soon became bored. More exhibits please.

Matthew W, Manager at Reading Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

I am sorry to hear that you found your visit to the Museum disappointing. We find that many of younger visitors enjoy the Green Space gallery that is full of animals, also our handling gallery called the Box Room where you can stroke our badger 'Bertie'. We also have eleven galleries full of interesting artefacts which we hope will suit everyone's tastes and interests and a programme of changing exhibitions.

For under 5s we have a free story telling session every Wednesday at 10.30am and there are free trails and handling bags that you can take round the museum that are also very popular. In school holidays we have a programme of events for all the family, so I do hope you and your family will come back and perhaps try one of our events or activities.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Visited the Madjeski gallery with the portrait exhibition today with husband and children (4 and 5 years old). Very helpful and friendly staff, good activities for the children who enjoyed trying to do a self-portrait with the help of a mirror and a very accessible exhibition. Lots of other stuff to see in the museum, I'll be taking the family back.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Tucked away in the town hall, a lot of people pass by without ever realising it's a museum. I've taken a few friends/relatives here when they've come to visit and it's a great place to spend an hour or two (or longer if you've got kids), especially when the weather's nasty!

From natural history to a reproduction of the Bayeaux tapestry, there's something for everyone and there's also changing displays including the Olympics, an ornithological painter's work, and loads more - so you can keep going back.