“One better than none?”
Review of Beale Park

Beale Park
Ranked #2 of 86 things to do in Reading
More attraction details
Owner description: Beale Park Wildlife Park & Gardens was founded in 1956 by Gilbert Beale who created the Child Beale Trust, a charitable organisation, dedicated to the care and conservation of rare and endangered animals and birds. Not only is Beale Park a charity, the Park is a great place to be with fun, adventure, gardens, amazing animals and birds and play parks - there's even a splash pool and miniature train!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is more of a children's Zoo - If I had kids the rating might be higher?
What I liked the big/giant rabbits (not seen too many of them) The had guinea pigs (too common) The reindeer the piglets where quite cute. Three Large children's play area (climbing frame are, Pirate and Zip wire area) - kids there looked like they where having fun.

On the down side it takes about 35-40 Mins walk from Pangbourne St there is a bus but it's every 2 hours and no service on Sunday. Some of the large ponds looked empty with a few ducks. There where a few area's that looked like it needed TLC (money). Didn't go into the restaurant but surprise to see no shop selling post cards etc... most zoo and attractions have a gift shop. I saw one snake (in the dark) - begs the question if you going to have one is it better to have none at least you won't need the knowledge of looking after one snake.

The model boat and toy museum didn't quite fit in - are you a zoo or a museum? Quite a large part dedicated to birds - although we are not too far from Bird World (near Farnahm) which is bigger but cost more to get in.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We decided to go to Beale Park after searching the internet for local (within an hours drive) attractions we'd not been to before. We have a 4 year old and a 1.5yr old. After checking out the website we were looking forward to a great day out. The prices seemed quite high but not for what we were expecting from the website.
Luckily for us we had a break in the rain and the sun shone through. Anywhere is great with sunshine. Luckily.
On arrival, which was virtually when the gates opened, I visited the loo with my daughter. They were disgusting. The smell was horrendous, even my 4 year old commented and was afraid to use the toilet. The same with the other toilet block near the play area, I even laughed out loud when I saw the sign on one of the doors that read "these toilets are cleaned professionally". Cobwebs, dirt, leaky toilets and bad smells. Public toilet standard not paid for attraction toilets!
We took the train ride, which was fine. Short and just a loop of the park with no secondary station to hop off and back on. You get a ride included with your ticket but extra rides are £1 each.
We had a wander through to the main play area via the meerkats and prairie dog enclosures. They looked full of weeds. There was a sign displaying feeding times excluding weekends and bank holidays - we went on a bank holiday weekend. Do the animals not get fed then?
The main play area is quite tidy and spaced out. I didn't venture into the restaurant but had a latte bought for me, it was fine.
Lots of bins in this area, and it appeared clean and tidy. The Little Tikes Village outdoor play area is quite grotty and dirty. It's more like dirty muddy sand on everything, my girls were filthy in just ten minutes in this part of there park.
Then we had a wander around the other enclosures - the birds looked depressed, in small dirty cages overgrown with weeds. Some of the goats had issues and were ramming the fences when people stopped to say hello - the fences were thin wire with holes large enough to fit little hands through, if the animals are that angry then access should be prevented to avoid accidents. There was not a staff member in sight in the whole of the park. I don't think the animals are high on their agenda.
So for the price we paid to get in for a bit of outdoor play, it was extortionate. Plenty of places within walking distance of home we could have done that at. I would not recommend this venue.

2  Thank nuggiebok
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This day was a horrible day to us as I lost all the family cash that was handed to me from all my family members. We lost the train tickets as well. My wallet slipped out from my bag while I was handing the photo camera to my son..
Did honesty disappear from earth? How can poeple take money that doesnt belong to them???
We supposed that this park was mainly welcoming families with children and no thieves!
How can this person who stole our wallet sleep at night? Will this money bring him health and happiness ??! I suspect as it caused us lots of horrible feelings..no more pennies in our pockets.. We were very disappointed from this act that we simply describe as theft.

3  Thank Nadia_lkl
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Took my great niece to Beale park. Aug 2014
We had an enjoyable day, but very cold! Some areas obviously under refurbishment. The beautiful Chinese gardens were a delight, however some of the animal enclosures seemed a bit neglected. Considering the admission price, that was a bit disappointing.
Fantastic play area for little ones, and a very good, well serviced cafe.
Nice train around the grounds.
Plenty of seating dotted around.
Also a lovely clean paddling pool.....too cold to try.
Staff friendly and helpful.
Free parking.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Parts of the park are very well done however other areas need work. The play areas, pool and restaurant are really good. They are modern, well thought out and in very good condition. The menu in the restaurant although not vast was more than adequate and reasonably priced. Plus the food looked great.

Many of the animal enclosures however were tired in the extreme. The animals did not have much space and were surrounded by stinging nettles and weeds. The guinea pigs and rabbits seemed happy in their enclosure however visiting the birds and monkey exhibits was a very depressing experience which left us questioning the merits of keeping some of these breeds in captivity.

Overall we left thinking that the park would do better to build on its collection of domestic animals and to extend its play facilities. We did not enjoy seeing many of the animals in such uninspiring, small quarters and would not visit again on this basis.

1  Thank LBEN25