“Good service, poor pizza”
Review of Pizza Express

Pizza Express
Ranked #264 of 658 Restaurants in Reading
Price range: US$0 - US$43
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Bright and modern, PizzaExpress Reading (St Mary's Butts) offers an exciting reinvention of Italian classics. A vibrant menu includes wholesome Romana-style pizzas with adventurous topping combinations, as well as fresh salads, an impressive range behind the bar and aromatic coffee blends. Family-friendly Pizza Express gives kids the chance to design their own pizzas.
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The service here ( girl with the braces) was really friendly.
I ordered the side salad to start, trying to be healthy while eating out, it looked tired and was just tomato, lettuce and cucumber. The low-cal pizza with caramelised onion and goats cheese was okay, just a bit bland. I thought it was okay until I went to prezzo and for an extra quid or two the food was so much better. I won't be going to pizza express again, they really need to up their game.

Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Food was ok but salad was not what it said on menu. Pizza wAs lovely as always but service was poor males were serving and seating and I don't think either gave any eye contact or smiled no please or thank you and we seemed to be a bit of a inconvenience

Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is not a venue on the top of my restaurant list so having vouchers from BP for free Dough Ball starters and any main course slipped my mind and the vouchers stayed in my draw for months. To discover on the 2nd December that they expired that very day it was use them or lose them so a trip to Pizza Express was called for. With Reading having two Pizza Express restaurants a quick look at Tripadvisor showed that the favoured one was in St Mary’s Butts so a call was made to book a table to make sure they could fit us in. As it transpired they only had one other booking for two people so booking was not essential.

When we arrived there were about 20 diners eating and we were quickly shown to a table. Menus arrived within minutes, drinks orders taken and a bottle of Merlot on the table almost instantly. The waitress knew that the starter with the offer was to be dough balls and placed the order for those with the kitchen whilst we decided on our main courses. A Classic Sloppy Giuseppe Pizza and a Romana Da Morire Pizza were ordered. The dough balls which came with possibly the best garlic butter that I have had for a long time were excellent and the Pizzas were both very good and too big to eat and some taken home for the kids. The meals were free but would willingly have paid the £29.60 as they certainly would have been value for money.

A bottle of Merlot at £17.50 plus tip made this a very economical evening and Pizza Express in St Marys Butts is certainly worth a visit.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Pizza Express have always given good deals on their menus. The place was quiet and the service good. The pizzas came quickly and were hot and tasty although I think both of us thought it could have had a bit more topping. The fudge cake for dessert we shared and that was decadent. A good evening and we made the Jersey Boys at the Hexagon in good time and well fed. Definitely go again

Reviewed 6 October 2013

This branch of PE is pretty good. Service good, food as you would expect from PE. Nice quiet adults corner to avoid screaming kids beside the bar.