“Bank holiday getaway”
Review of Strines Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
Strines Inn
Ranked #37 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We happened across the Strines one day after a long walk and, over a bowl of chips, decided to stay over if the opportunity ever arose. Fast forward a couple of months and we were lucky enough to have the Tuesday after the Bank Holiday off work. We arrived and had a good dinner- hearty country fare- followed by a walk around the nearby reservoirs. Caution: make sure you leave enough time for your walk...we got overambitious and tried to cover too much distance before dark! It's worth knowing that the staff seem to lock up by a certain time. We got back at 10.45 and had to knock to get in.

The room itself was quaint and charming. Some unusual features included a four-poster bed and a bath in the room, separated off with a screen. The bed was comfortable, although the peacocks outside made a noise very much like a human scream, which was a bit disconcerting!

Breakfast was nice and flexible, available between 8.30 and 9.30. There was a veggie cooked breakfast on the menu and the coffee was good quality. Choice of cereals was a bit limited though and there was no fresh fruit, although we appreciate that most people probably wouldn't mind.

They were lighting an open fire just as we left. It was quite tempting to stay for another cup of tea! Tom & Sarah

Room Tip: The Duchess of Sugworth Suite was at the end of the building and had an amazing view of Bradfield Da...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iwalkinthelight

Reviewed 28 April 2013

A stormy night at the Strines Inn in the beautiful Peak District on the way back from Leeds. Perched on the side of a hill high above the Dale Dike Reservoir, this is a lovely, traditional old fashioned hostelry. It delivered exactly what we were looking for which was a cosy, quirky getaway that welcomed the dog and wasn’t a sterile chain.
Our room was generously proportioned and clean with a great 4 poster (very comfy mattress unlike some other 4 posters I’ve been in). We had dinner too which was excellent quality and took care of our always healthy appetites. A neighbouring diner had the mixed grill – looked like something out of Man vs. Food. Service was just fine, the kids did just fine!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LeagueOfFatties
Reviewed 20 April 2013

We stayed at the strines in their bnb it was great, we took our dog jake with us as we were on a walking weekend and at was great, they were really dog friendly. Food great, rooms lovely would recommend to anyone and will return soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angie1959
Reviewed 14 April 2013

My wife, daughter and I had booked a table at a different restaurant to celebrate my birthday. However, on arrival we were put in a porch so we duly left! On our way home, we came across The Strines Inn, and so we thought we would give this a try.

As per all the other reviews, this "restaurant"/pub/bed and breakfast is literally in the middle of nowhere. There is a sign off the main road telling you the direction and the fact you have 2 miles to go...and that's it. In terms of location, this is an absolute gem of a place. No doubt in the summer months when it is warmer, it would be great sat outside with a pint. As it was raining and cold, we sat inside.

First impressions were ok. Décor not the greatest but full of what I can only describe as quaint essentially English artefacts, lots of dead animals about the place! Stuffed of course. When I sat down, my arm stuck to the table...and then that's when I thought about the cleanliness. I do have a tad OCD but never the less, this is not the most cleanest pub/restaurant I have been to. The toilets most definitely need a scrub and clean.

However, the food was good. We all had the roast dinner. There was plenty to go at; vegetables were fresh; meat was lovely and tender; albeit the Yorkshire Puddings were frozen ones! I have to say at £9.95 I did find this a tad expensive. Just over £25 for two adults and a child. We all three had deserts and the cheesecake was divine. Total cost just under £40. The staff were most pleasant and welcoming and service was quick.

Overall, this was not a bad experience, but I have had better. My wife would disagree but I thought the cleanliness could have been better, and this is where I think the pub let itself down. As we were walking out, the table next door had ordered some sort of pie - and it looked fab. So, having said all that...we may be going back to try the pies!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AlexKrycek
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Me and my wife stopped for 1 night here and although the pub was very busy, the service was amazing....

Food was brought to the table hot and flavoursome. My wife had the giant Yorkshire pudding and I had the lamb steak and chips... The steak was cooked medium rare to my specification and the chips were amazing. A must try!!

The rooms were a little outdated but finished in a chique way with little personalised touches.

"Lizzie" who was our barmaid for the night couldn't do enough for us and made us feel very welcome....

Great relaxing stop...

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Was looking forward to nice cosy pre Mother's Day get together but within less than ten minutes of placing food order it arrived! - fresh from the microwave! The meat pie looked fabulous but was quite obviously a leftover from the weekend once tasted!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Thompsonglossop
Reviewed 3 February 2013

this was the start and end of our walk on the peaks - thoughts of the lovely menu awaiting us kept our spirits up for the last 2 miles of our walk. The dinner exceeded expectations especially the game stew in a 'giant Yorkshire'. I highly recommend the homemade puddings as the perfect finish. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family