“If you are in the Ranmoor/Fulwood area W10 is well worth a visit.”
Review of West 10 wine bar

West 10 wine bar
Ranked #535 of 1,483 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I found W10 one summers afternoon a few years ago when I had business in the area that finished early and had a bit of an 'after meeting' need for a nice glass of white wine before I headed home. It's set back off the main road a tad, with outside seating and parasols for cover.
Inside it is definitely gently upmarket - this part of Sheffield is known as 'Surgeon and Barrister country' and W10 reflects that.
It's not often you find a bar where the clientele are sat reading in mid afternoon with an uberlarge glass of white, or sat in groups of friends, chatting and laughing. The wine list is extremely well thought through, with good class offers right across the board. Beers are eclectic to say the least (W10 is definitely not a John Smiths Smooth type of place).
Staff? Superb. Attentive without being pushy, and with a definite air of style. Very well off people call this their local bar, and the staff treat everyone equally well.
The one downside is that I can't review the food for you, as I only call in for a glass of wine when I'm in the area.
I can't leave without mentioning the bars' owner, Jonnie. If he is in the place he quite lights it up with his presence. Without doubt, he was made to own and run a bar, and he is definitely a throwback to a different England. He's welcoming, funny, caring and absolutely extrovert in the nicest possible way.
An example? He came over to where I was sat and said 'I haven't seen you here before, I'm Jonnie, what's that wine you've bought from me?' I told him, and he returned and topped up my glass saying 'welcome to West ten, it's nice to see you here.'
That everyone, is personality marketing personified.
W10 is the epitome of an upmarket bar, full of nice people, and one that doesn't take itself too seriously. As I said in the reviews title, it's well worth a visit.
Hope you found this helpful.

1  Thank Jeffandlin

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Not sure how to categorise this establishment... good quality wine bar, restaurant, cafe or pub, but it really doesn't matter as it's definitely worth a visit!

We nipped in for a just a coffee and stayed for lunch with a lovely couple of glasses of wine and a delicious lunch. The steak sandwich was perfectly cooked medium rare with a lovely salad and french fries and as for the seafood tagliatelle with its spicy sauce, wow… both off the light options menu and great value. The atmosphere made you want to stay and relax the afternoon away… very friendly staff and we definitely will be going back.

Thanks

2  Thank TheOddCoupleUK
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Dropped by West 10 for lunch with our son when visiting him at Uni in Sheffield. It is always great to escape his flat and enter the welcoming friendly atmosphere at West 10. The staff are friendly, gave great advice on wine and I had an excellent home made burger. My son had a perfect steak which was probably more than he had eaten all week. We will be back again this Saturday when we come to collect him for Christmas.

1  Thank Ian G
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We have been 4 times for a meal. The service & food have always been excellent. I found it a bit cliquey at first but the staff are really friendly. I have been to nearly all the best restaurants in Sheffield over the past 2 years & West 10 is right up there.

2  Thank Laurencef
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Please note, this review only refers to the restaurant component of the bar.

We went for a meal with friends. What we entered was Sheffield's version of Marbella with mutton dancing (and blocking the way) to pounding (and terrible) music. I have no problem with the party atmosphere as people were having a nice time but the place needs to figure out is it about that or is it about charging premium prices for food which you eat in an atmosphere reminiscent to a 1980s red coat party at Butlins.

The staff were friendly enough. The food was pretty good although the mains are overpriced for what you get. If I was the chef I would leave this place behind and open up on my own somewhere. Somewhere were I can stamp my signature on a place rather than Shaggy or Shaka Demus and Pliers stamping it for me.

Also, and this is a minor gripe - for somewhere that charges 26 quid for a main course the toilets are an absolute disgrace. Again, its more fitting for the drinking area than the restaurant.

The table was booked for 9 and we were served at 22:15. Awesome.

2  Thank Stuart B