“Quality Throughout”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheffield
The Cross Scythes Totley
Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Quality Throughout”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay in this charming little hotel and genuinely could not fault any aspect of it!.
Staff were great, food was top notch and the room I stopped in was finished to a very high standard and provided everything I needed during my stay. The rooms balcony was a lovely surprise especially when the sun come out this morning
I would not hesitate to recommend the Cross Scythes to anyone and look forward to stopping there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Derbyshire
Reviewed 18 July 2012

What a find ! A lovely old pub very friendly staff nothing too much trouble. The restaurant was clean and welcoming, the food was wonderful I had the salmon, I do not remember ever having better, this would not be out of place in a London restaurant, the chef should be proud of the food coming out of his kitchen.

Just one point the mattress, was a little hard.

Would I go back ! Yes.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms but very good value.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sally444Derbyshire
preston
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Tempted not to give a good review as it was such good value and i would hate it to be full next time i want to stay.
Absolutely no complaints or issues. Just pleasant memories.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
North East England
Reviewed 28 June 2012

2nd night of a 2 night business trip, Keen to be home but could not drive the remaining 150 miles without falling asleep so booked into this Sheffield hotel on the basis of its TA reviews.
Arrived about 7pm hungry and having been shown to room went down to eat in restaurant. Was able to pick my table so I picked quite a large one for a single person but that was no problem. Its very pubby but that was nice, and made it feel quite homely really. But a tad grubby - tables could have been polished and I hate tatty paper menus when fresh ones could be easily printed and dont go on at me about the environment for that its just not clean.
Whige over everything else was pretty perfect. Had a MASSIVE bowl of mixed olives instead of a starter - best value ever. Then - lovely pub food - corned beef hash with a poached egg and streaky bacon (yummmm). After that I wanted just a light pudding - some ice cream. A couple of scoops of ice cream was not on offer, but made available with no fuss. Pistachio and vanilla , yummm again.
I was able to stretch out at the table for four just to myself, read the paper, play on my iphone and enjoy the food. It was easy to feel comfortable here. The waiter was delightful, he was new, and friendly.
Breakfast - generally from 8.30 (on a workday?) was scheduled a little late but they were happy to accommodate me at 7.30 at my request and full breakfast was available if I wanted it. Scrambled egg and beans on wholemeal toast - perfect, and cooked rather than lying in a bain marie for hours.
The room was clean, nice, good shower, simple but I slept well. Quality tea and coffee.
Would I return? For sure, this place was so welcoming, unassuming and high quality.

Room Tip: talk to the staff
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Great value hotel run by enthusiastic staff team who seem to aim to please whenever they can.

Rooms are clean and comfortable, fine for a one nigh stay. This pub is nicely furnished, with tasteful furniture and decor. The location is also good. Centre of Sheffield is a half hour bus ride away and you are just on the edge of the Peak District National Park.

Breakfast is very good with a good choice of dishes. It is an additional £7 but good value at the price, and up to the standard of breakfasts in much more pretentious or expensive places.

The pub has a nice atmosphere with a good range of real ales including Timmy Taylor's and other local guest beers.

Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Rooms 1&2 are furthest from the road but passing traffic is not really a problem.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LondonDavidS
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is a review of the food and not of the accommodation at The Cross Scythes. We had lunch here earlier in the year and decided with 4 friends to have dinner. I have to say we all thoroughly enjoyed our food and the menu had something for everyone - it was good to be able to have the smaller portions or light bites. The place has a nice ambiance and we all commented on how well trained and friendly the staff are. Will return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We enjoyed our two night stay at The Cross Scythes, Totley immensely and we will definately be back. My husband was exhibiting his art at a local art gallery, Smart Art Galleries of Totley and they recommended and booked the hotel for us. They could not have chosen better!
The hotel from the outside is charming, quaint and oldie worldie. Inside the hotel there is a very warm welcome awaiting you, a really nice atmosphere and a recently refurbished stylish interior.
Check in was swift and we were shown to our room. The room was lovely, excellently laid out and very clean.
The staff were all very friendly and professional. The food was first class.
It was way more than good value for money! Highly recommended and that's something coming from me, I'm quite fussy about hotels as I usually only stay in hotels with at least 4 stars and am an ex hotelier myself.
Well done to all at the Cross Scythes, a marvellous team!
Looking forward to our return visit!
Thank you!

Room Tip: The hotel has 4 rooms and they are all located on the same floor and next door to each other, we fou...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business