The Cross Scythes Totley
Ibis Sheffield City(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$88
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$90
  • Restaurant
US$102
Hotels.com
US$129
  • Pool
Hampton By Hilton Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$105
Priceline
US$106
US$100
Priceline
All reviewsbirthday mealpub restaurantsunday lunchsharing starterordered the chickenvisited recentlypiesyorkshire puddingtea and coffee facilitiesfull englishvisiting familybreakfast was deliciousafternoon tealovely roomcar parkalesensuite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I think the first time I visited The Cross Scythes was around 20 years ago. At that time it was a slightly rundown pub with a juke box, a pool table and it's most appealing pull factor; underage friendly! The food (not that it was ever an issue) was Berni Inn style.

I've since moved away from the area and this is the second time I've stayed here since it being under 'new' management. One of the major pulls for me is that it's a stone's throw to where I grew up.

The rooms are reasonably spacious, the bed's comfortable, there's ample tea and coffee in the room...The only minor gripe is that room 2 (where I'm staying on this occasion) can get a tiny bit noisy as it's above the kitchen and the food is very popular.

The jewels in the crown or the x factor, if you will, are the location (right on the edge of the Peak District and within the attractive village of Totley) and the staff whom are extremely helpful and friendly.

Food wise, the breakfast ranges from fruit and yoghurt to a generous Full English. This costs a further £7 on top of the room price, but seems well worth it. The lunch and dinner menu has several delightful dishes to tickle the taste buds and daily specials. I had the soup and roast belly pork which was sumptuous and just the right size to fill a hungry belly without being too heavy.

The pub has evolved into a stylish country establishment with a relaxed atmosphere and a good selection of wine and other beverages. This is complemented by an attentive staff.

Next time I find myself in Sheffield, I shall find myself at The Cross Scythes.

Room Tip: I stayed in room one on my first visit and this was a little quieter, with a larger bathroom, but no balcony. Room two is above the kitchen and an occasional bang of pots and pans penetrates the otherwise peaceful room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JJK960
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Following a very busy day we decided to go out for a meal on spec, we were made extremely welcome by all the staff . They were all attentive, polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Our meals were excellent and although we asked for changes to be made to one of the meals from the menu, this was accommodated without a problem. The staff were more than happy to facilitate this change. The evening was a great success and one we would repeat.
This is not our first visit to the Cross Scythes but the friendly, helpful staff never fail to make the experience a positive one.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 5oldwell
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We have visited the Cross Scythes for a post Christmas meal with family that are local,enjoyed it so decided to give it another try on a visit to the Peak. The pub was quiet so we were looked after but the food was the star. Corn beef hash, the 'special' burger, sausage and mash and fish cakes were ordered and very fresh and tasty they were. Not over facing portions but enough for you to want a pud!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Phod10
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We called here on spec whilst taking our daughter back to university. We saw the Gastro Pub sign on the wall and gave it a try. It was a good call, the food was innovative and well presented and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Would definitely go again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2013

It had been a very busy week and we decided to go out for a Saturday evening meal. The place was busy but we had a table in the bar. My wife and I agreed that we had the best meal we have experienced for a very long time. My wife had the Lamb, I had the Pork. Both dishes were well prepared and presented. The flavours were superb. I have paid much more and not enjoyed the food nearly as much. The service was polite, efficient and friendly. We were made to feel very welcome and got the impression they valued our custom. All in all a very satisfactory evening. There is no doubt that we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family