“Not Recommended!”
Review of Globeline Hotel

Globeline Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sheffield
Globeline Hotel
Ranked #29 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 October 2008

Me and my partner booked a one night stay at the Globeline Hotel as one of my close friends was getting married at the local church which was one street away so we booked for the convenience of the walking distance. I really wished I have booked somewhere else as we experienced a catalogue of disappointments.

We booked the room via telephone two weeks prior to our stay and so we were shocked on arrival when the owners informed us that they had no record of our booking. Bearing in mind that we had a wedding to attend this was very stressful. The hotel owner told us not to worry as they still had availability and that we could have a double ensuite room for £55. They asked us if we wanted to view the room but foolishly we declined as we were in a rush to get ready for the wedding and assumed from the hotel website photos that the room would be decent. Big mistake!

We stayed in room 2 which was very basic and could have done with a lick of paint and modernising. The furniture was old and tatty and the curtains were dirty and in need of a wash. The plasterboard walls were painted and awful terracotta orange colour and there were holes in some parts of the plasterboard. The room had a kettle for making a drink but there were no cups or tea or coffee making supplies so we were unable to make a drink for ourselves. The TV only had two channels which worked and there was no telephone in the room as stated on the hotel website.

The ensuite facilities consisted of a manky outdated shower and a toilet in one room (where the window wouldn’t close so this let in a cold draft from outside), plus a random sink in the main part of the bedroom.

To make matters worse – the hotel manager knocked on our door to inform us that the heating wasn’t working and so there would be no heating or hot water throughout our stay (on a cold October night!). To be fair, he supplied us with a portable fan heater but this just didn’t have any effect at all and we were freezing!

The bed was actually quite comfortable with clean, fresh bedding but there was a summer tog quilt on which wasn’t warm enough and we froze during the night (together with the heating not working). The bedside lights were fixed wonky on the wall and they didn’t work when we tried them.

We didn’t get much sleep due to being freezing but somehow managed to drop off. However at approximately 9am we were woken up by the hotel manager testing the fire alarm which I’m sure was done for no other purpose than to wake everyone up for breakfast. Me and my partner had a freezing cold water strip wash in the random sink as we couldn't face getting in the manky shower and we decided then and there that we had had enough of the place and wanted to get home. We were asked if we wanted to stay for breakfast as we left our keys at reception to which we made our excuses and left as we didn’t want to stay there a minute longer!

We booked the hotel for the convenience factor of the walking distance to my friends wedding but I really wish I’d have stayed in a Travel Lodge in Sheffield City Centre (which would have cost the same at £55). At least we would have been staying in a modern comfortable room with the option of a hot shower not to mention a “warm room”!

I really feel conned out of my hard earned £55 as the hotel really was not up to standard. I will never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend others to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)