“Can't fault the hotel, the staff on the other hand...”

Copthorne Hotel Sheffield
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
“Can't fault the hotel, the staff on the other hand...”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed here in November with my other half on a trip back to our university city to visit friends as we are currently spending a year away on placement.

I cannot fault the rooms at all, for what we paid they were superb, huge beds too which is a bonus. The bathroom was lovely, mist-free mirror as standard although I'd have preferred a shower that wasn't above a bathtub. Again, I couldn't complain at all.

The staff (other than the front desk who were excellent) were very rude and assuming and overall it left a bad taste and let down an otherwise perfect stay. On the first night I called the front desk to request a bottle opener which they told me they didn't have, and that I'd have to go to the bar. Not an issue at all, however upon getting to the bar and waiting for 10 minutes to be 'served' I was told that I "wasn't allowed to walk in and bring my own beer to drink at the bar." I honestly thought she was joking but she genuinely thought I had wandered in off the street, bought a beer with me and I was asking her to open it so I could sit in a hotel bar and drink it. After I told her it was for the room she apologised and opened it for me. Ridiculous.

Secondly, upon returning fairly late one night (around 11 PM) I was asked very abruptly and rudely by the security guard at the front entrance to "prove I was staying there by showing him my room key). Now, I'm not one to assume but I'm pretty sure this isn't standard practice for everyone that comes through the front door late at night. Being that my other half and I are fairly young (we're both in our early 20s) I can only assume this is why we were constantly treated like we weren't guests there.

Overall I cannot fault the room or the hotel itself at all except for minor gripes with the location and the shower. But will I be returning again? After being treated like a child, absolutely not.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tristan M
TrevorVels, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Tristan M,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your stay at our hotel in November.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the obvious frustrations caused by our staff's implementation of two of our policies:

As I am sure you will understand, we are not licensed to permit guests to consume alcohol within our bar which is not purchased from us. However, while it appears that our bar staff did not at first understand the circumstance, it is clear to me that they could certainly have communicated in a more guest-friendly manner. Please be assured that corrective training will be applied with the staff concerned to ensure no similar recurrence in the future.

Regarding the request to identify yourself upon accessing the hotel after 11pm, please allow me to assure you that it is very much a standard procedure in the interests of all of our guest's security. I can absolutely confirm that this policy is enforced with all guests irresepective of their age or appearance. I regret that you were made to feel singled out but once again, I would like to assure you that this was not nor will ever be the case at our hotel.

I do hope that my response has sufficiently addressed your concerns and that you will consider returning to stay with us again when you next visit Sheffield.

Trevor Vels | General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Turkish first
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel very comfortable and clean. We were very surprised that the room was so good for the price we paid!! The restaurant is fantastic also and all staff fabulous. Nice and close to meadow hall which made us choose here and we were not disappointed we will be back

• Stayed March 2014
TrevorVels, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear DouglasandDonna,

Thank you for your positive feedback received after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your super compliments and are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back for any future visits.

Edinburgh. Scotland
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We picked this hotel as it had parking (we checked Sheffield United weren't playing at home!) Plenty of parking - not sure what it would be like if footie on - Hotel is really nice. Friendly check in. Room was really nice and spacious - had a corner room - plenty of light - we looked onto United's stadium. Good shower. Comfy bed. Heard no noise from other guests. Nice little bar area - bar staff very nice - and very good breakfast - same chap from the bar was on duty in the morning. Very nice guy. Would I stay here again - yes. We were at a concert at the O2 - less than 20 mins walk.

Room Tip: Might be busy if United are playing at home.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cate019
Dear Fiona019,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a positive response after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your superb feedback and are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your stay.

Thank you also for your positive comment regarding our parking facilities but please allow me to assure you that special arrangements are always in place for our residents when there is a match on at the stadium to ensure that spaces are always available.

We hope you enjoyed the concert at the O2 and look forward to having you stay with us again on your return to Sheffield.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We spent one night in here. On arrival, the football had just finished and the hotel was heaving. It was difficult to move around in the lobby and remained so for a number of hours. Initially, the staff messed up our booking (we booked 2 double rooms and 1 twin and were given 3 double rooms) and seemed uninterested in fixing this for us. After 20 minutes, we eventually got the rooms we asked for.

The rooms themselves were lovely; very clean and modern. Could not fault them.

We ate in the hotel's restaurant and service was very slow. We had tickets for the theatre booked and had left plenty of time to eat. However, we were the only ones who were in the restaurant and the food was so slow to come that the evening ended up being a bit of a rush- we only got the food after we chased it up! Despite this, I have to say that the food was very enjoyable.

I would stay here again; I understand that the staff were very busy during our stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear frostfromfire,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your recent experiences at our hotel.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the less than perfect experience as a result of our football activities. Although the hotel is at its busiest on football days, we do not believe in compromising any of our usual standards; particularly when hosting non-football guests residing with us. Please be assured that necessary corrective training action will be taken to ensure no similar recurrence in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked a night away over Christmas & it was great. I'd paid for a room, evening meal for two & breakfast.

*Food is lovely
*Friendly staff
*Stunning room
*Nice décor
*In a good location

I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank everdreamer
TrevorVels, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Everdreamer,

We look forward to having you stay with us again when you next return to Sheffield.

Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Our room was gorgeous and felt so luxurious!! Staff friendly ! Would def recommend for couples! We came here as was seeing Russell brand at the city hall! We loved the room that much we are planning our bedroom to be designed the same ha !

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brogan22
TrevorVels, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear brogan22,

Thank you most particularly for the super compliment of planning to design your bedroom in the same style of our hotel rooms! High praise indeed!

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your return to Sheffield - it would appear that it may become even more of a "home from home" for you as you house decorating progresses.

Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Had to visit Sheffield for a night and found a good deal on the chain website. Sheffield not my favourite place and did have some difficulty finding Hotel which is next to Bramhall Lane. Parking was good but surrounding area very iffy. Hotel clean, room nice and spacious. Food ok but limited choices. Would stay ahain

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dgh1971
Dear dgh1971,

I have noted your comment on the variety of our food choices. Our hotel group is in the process of revising our corporate bar menu and I will be sure to pass on your feedback to our chef for his additinal vigilance on our a la carte menus.

I am pleased to see that you will be staying with us again on your next visit to Sheffield and we look forward to welcoming you on your return.