“Surprisingly impressed”

Ranked #7 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Peak District
“Surprisingly impressed”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I've never been terribly excited about Copthorne hotels given previous experiences but this is a very nice and well run hotel. The room was large with a king size bed. Free wifi always helps. I got a good room only rate and paid £8.95 for a very nice buffet breakfast. The majority of staff in the hotel are quite young but they were very polite and professional - a credit to the supervisory staff for ensuring great standards from their teams. I would give 5 stars but a few of things let the room down. You couldn't open the window which was a bit annoying and the staff hadn't cleaned off the greasy marks that people's noses had left when they admired the "wonder" that is Sheffield utds ground. Also there were 2 chairs in the room, one had the stuffing coming out and the other was uncomfortable to fit in for more than 5 mins. Comfier chairs would certainly be welcome.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
TrevorVels, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Sheffield, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Mr Morley,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback as it assists us in maintaining our standards of superior service and hospitality and allows us to identify any lapses that may occur.

Please accept my apology for the window cleanliness and state of repair of one of the chairs in your room. Please be assured that corrective action will be taken with our housekeepers regarding their cleaning vigilance. I am also able to assure you that the occasional chairs in the rooms are due for replacement within the summer which will alleviate this shortfall.

I do hope that we will have opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Trevor Vels | General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
S Yorkshire
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed at the Copthorne on bank holiday Sunday.
Upon arriving at the hotel we found the car park to be full, so we parked in the Sheffield United car park which is directly next door. We inquired at reception who said this was fine. But i can image on match days parking would be quite difficult.
Check in was quick and we were soon given the card to our room.
The room was lovely and big. Had a big TV on the wall and the bed was very comfy. Plenty of extra pillows and covered in the cupboard.
There was a mini fridge and tea & coffee facilities.
The view was overlooking the car park, as my other half is a massive Sheffield United fan, he probably would have preferred one looking onto the pitch but it was fine for me! lol
We had lunch in the hotel which was very nice but a little overpriced for two sandwiches. But after all this is a 4 star hotel. Lounge and bar area is nice and there is plenty of seating.
We had buffet breakfast the next morning which was a range of cereals, fruit, pastries and hot breakfast. Eggs are cooked separate to your liking which was a nice touch.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay in the copthorne and would definitely come again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the standard room which was just as good as the club. Go for a room high up for views o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear mubsie,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a positive response after your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate your superb feedback and are delighted that you clearly enjoyed your stay.

I have taken note of your comment regaring parking on Sheffield United match days and can happily assure you that while the area is naturally very busy, we lease a number of bays in the car park for our resident's exclusive use. As a result, our guests are never inconvenienced and have an allocated parking bay.

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your return to Sheffield.

Wood Green, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I'm very pleased about this Copthorne is very comfortable and warming a room! Bedroom was very luxury of posh room, hide tea, coffee filler and mini fridge everything really fantastic. But I have a little problem found something, when I final day departure to checkout, I’m going checks all the way round the bedroom... What the hell?!... I was found something case under bed left... I can smell stink really, really strong. I think something in trouble for this hotel bedroom caught is being affect! I put my gloves on it I pick-up something black case, what inside it?... Oh my god! I write the note to them caution of this cannabis of drugs, I write down to note to the police and I tell the reception about trouble bedroom was found. I was shocking, I’m really surprised about that. I’ll never know what that left them, what the hell something doing this coming from?! I don’t like any behaviour like a nasty person, who came here this Copthorne Hotel effect man/woman being effect body language problem like “Mental Health of Drugs Condition.” Shouldn’t be accept go in, that breaking law to hide them! I believe that who has something continue do this people body language not clean. Should be person effect, must be shown identify passport before accept with responsibility. Now this... totally unaccepted to make first place bit dirty under bed! What a surprise on sense! Hope fully, the manager while sort-it for updated full checking and to make sure everything clear it for health safety is a best. (Oh dear, I make me a bit sick of that!)

Room Tip: Really awesome comfort! But is bit problem.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Delroy J,

Thank you for your review of our hotel after your recent stay.

Please accept my apology for the item found in your room which appears to have been hidden by a previous guest. Please rest assured that it is now in the hands of the South Yorkshire Police and they are pursuing an investigation.

I am naturally very embarrassed that such an item was missed by my housekeeping staff but I am equally able to assure you that this is not reflective of our usual standard and will not happen again as a result of our learnings and actions taken.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kingston, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here for 15 days.
There is not one thing we could find any faults. The girls at reception where always as helpful as they could, we had breakfast every day and the staff there were just the best!, Many thanks to Lynn, Katarina,Taz,Paige Alison, Chef's, Alberto.
Our room was comfort plus! Loved the bath every night. many thanks to Keow he kept it clean for us andmade sure we didn't lack anything we needed.
I came in search of my Family who orignally came from Yorkshire to Australia in the 1920's.
It was a once in a lifetime journey for me. I met family of my Dad's for the first time ever. So it was a very special journey, and I thank all of you there that made it so!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ms Chapman,

Thank you for your exceedingly positive comments about our staff members who made your stay so pleasant - I will be sure to pass on your comments to them personally.

We look forward to having you stay with us again on your return to Sheffield.

Nottingham
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've stayed here many times and always get a friendly welcome. The car park is free and it is just a 20 minute walk to the city centre (as long as you don't mind pedestrian underpasses). Breakfast is always good - although can get crowded if the hotel is full. Free unlimited Wifi has just been added so now even better value.

On my last visit I was out very late and left a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door all day. Was really impressed when I did surface to find a bag outside the door with fresh towels, tea/coffee and toilet roll inside. What a nice touch.

Check if Sheffield Utd are playing before you book. The hotel is co-located with the ground so access is an issue if there is a match on.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Archie118,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we will be sure to pass on your positive comments to all of our team members.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

This Hotel is really nice but glad I never paid full price. The room is nice, housekeeping is great but not worth £300 club room 3 nights. Although hotel is 4 star I am not sure I would say more 3. Light switch to bathroom broken, air com on auto buzzes when it comes on, window does not open. The free stuff included is great although advantage not taken.
Best thing is sky sports in room, but no euro sports witch had snooker.
Sorry review not great but would stay again on deal but would not pay full price!

Room Tip: No pool or spa but got gym. Hold be NA
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ajmd2512,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your recent experiences at our hotel.

Please accept my sincerest apology for the lapses in maintenance standards that you experienced in your room. Please be assured that these experiences do not represent our usual standards and that I have taken the necessary corrective action with the staff and management concerned to ensure no similar recurrence in the future.

I do hope that my response has sufficiently addressed your concerns and that you will consider returning to stay with us again when you next visit Sheffield.

Par, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Thank you for another lovely break with yourselves.
Very near to the Crucible Theatre to watch the snooker, just a short taxi drive, cost approximately £4 for the taxi. Very friendly and helpful staff at the Hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear 04288,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel after your recent stay. We sincerely appreciate all feedback as it assists us in maintaining our standards of superior service and hospitality. We will be sure to pass on your positive review to all of our team members.

I am particularly delighted to receive such a super review from one of our regular guests and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for next year's snooker.