“Comfortable, convenient, a bit loud.”

Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 10 November 2012

A friend and I stayed here while going to a conference at the uni. We had a twin room, which (much like the PI in Cardiff last stay) was really a double room with a sofa bed made up--this is one thing I wish they would not do as it means negotiating for who gets the good bed. There was also only a shower, no bath, but it was a very good shower.

Service was excellent on check-in. It took a little longer than normal because there was a problem with the computer system so everything had to be done manually (including running the credit card on the old carbon copy machine), but these things happen and the lady at reception dealt with it gracefully. They also let us check in at 12.30 when we arrived rather than at 2, which we appreciated. We asked for directions and she was kind enough to print off the directions from Googlemaps for us-very useful!

Didn't try the internet or TV or anything because we were at the conference till late. We got back lateish and went right to sleep--the problem was there was the vent was loose, or in some way rattling, so that any time any movement happened outside the room, it would shake and rattle and wake us up. (Unlike most Premier Inns I've stayed in recently you could also hear more than strictly necessary from the adjacent rooms--every time they flushed the toilet, for instance, which also set the vent to rattling.) We mentioned this on checking out, which I thought would have fallen under the Good Night Guarantee, but the receptionists that morning only said she'd have it checked out. It's not a terribly expensive room, and was being paid for by a bursary, so we didn't push it.

We got the 'grab and go' breakfast as we were due back at our conference, and it was fine (good croissants, mediocre Costa coffee--maybe just get a plain filter machine?) and a good price at £2.95.

All in all, it was a good base of operations and for £52 for two people, hard to beat. Do have a look at the vent (8th floor, end of the corridor).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed 1 night, double room. I found the staff very friendly and the level of customer service very high. I did not have to ask for anything, I was told about, breakfast, the sleep well policy and when I needed more towels they were efficiently delivered to my room. The room was spotless and comfortable. I will certainly stay there again, as I would in any other premier inn hotel.
Well done!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Visiting our daughter at Uni so decided to stay 4 nights. Check in was exemplary, room bright and spacious, staff very friendly and breakfasts perfect. Good location and parking a bonus. Will def stay here again for future visits to this lovely city.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I visited for one night with my wife, two adult sons, and the girlfriend of one of my sons for a family event. We had three double rooms for £29 each and were all very pleasantly surprised at the outstanding value for money. Excellent comfort and facilities. Friendly and helpful staff. Premier Inn's are definitely on my radar for future city breaks.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Nowhere on the web site makes it clear that there are no baths in the hotel. You get only a shower cubicle and the hand basin is in the main room. Lighting in the room is poor quality, very Travelodge. The car park is very limited in space (though that is made clear on the web site) and the entrance is so narrow I had trouble getting our people carrier in. I stay in Premier Inns every week and this one is below par.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Perfect for a city break at the hotel is very centrally located close to the great bars and restaurants on eccleshall road and walking distance to the city centre of buses/ teams etc. however this is a brand new hotel with only showers in the rooms. This was very inconvenient as I was travelling with 2 small children one of whom I bathed in the sink as it was too difficult to was her in the shower! Also the family room has no fridge which I think is important for baby food/ milk etc. don't let this put you off a great hotel though - especially if you have older children as the room is very spacious. Even better if you're travelling independently!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank 3752emmy
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I think that the Lenny Henry adverts have got a lot to answer for because the phrase "everything is premier except the price" leads people to believe that this chain competes with the likes of Travelodge. I was always put off by the "rooms from £29" quotation because I was only ever able to find rooms at about TWICE that, so I thought it was a bit of a con. Anyway, we booked recently at this hotel while my daughter attended the Hallamshire Hospital for a few days. The hotel was excellent. The rooms were well equipped. (No comparison with the Travelodge which does just what "it says on the tin" and does it well, but the Premier Inn is a totally different offering.) The shower was the best ever. The staff were excellent in every respect. We've stayed at a couple of very good hotels in the last few months but the Premier Inn was comparable with those. The location was excellent, the free parking was a bonus. All in all, top marks for what it is - don't let Lenny confuse you or put you off.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be of the same high standard