“Nice hotel, but room 611 was not good!”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Having read the reviews on here and having managed to get a cheap rate for our 3 nights, we could not wait to stay at St Mary's Premier Inn!! Especially having recently suffered a below par stay at Travelodge!

When we arrived we were greeted by a happy and polite receptionist who booked us in and gave us room 611.
All seemed well until night time!

Just turned off the lights to go to sleep and then the weirdest noise ever... Like someone kicking a metal bucket. It was very random and had no particular timing pattern. I thought it may have been the air con unit so turned it off as room was warm enough without the climate control on anyway! But the noise kept happening. Just as we would drop off, it would wake us up!
Then a 'bubbling' noise kept appearing! Less frequent but still annoying!
Was it when upstairs used their bathroom? I don't know. No body else seemed to have these problems going by the reviews so I was reluctant to complain immediately.

But the noises continued throughout the following nights in room 611.
It really did affect our quality of sleep! We were constantly disturbed throughout all three nights.

What's annoying is we were originally due to be on floor 12 (top floor) but due to the absence of cleaning staff we had to be relocated to room 611. I wonder if we would have had a nicer stay if we were on the top floor?

It really was very disappointing as everything with this hotel was perfect- apart from being unable to get a decent night sleep due to a very mysterious noise!

Our "Great night sleep - guaranteed" certainly went begging on this occasion!

I feel bad for having to complain and having to write this review. I honestly cannot understand how no one else before would have mentioned it to staff or how other people in the proximity would not have been disturbed by this noise either? It was really loud!

Another niggle while I'm here was the fact that the reading light could not be turned on unless the main bedside light was turned on!! Maybe I'm going mad, but what is the point of that?! Is it a wiring issue?

Don't get me wrong, this hotel seemed the bees knees and I hope we were just unlucky with the noise and lack of sleep on this occasion and I hope that following contact with Premier Inn, they will be able to shed light on what the noise was!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simonhaz
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review and for the feedback you have given.

Let me start by apologising for the noise issues you experianced during your stay with us and for the disturbed nights sleep it caused.

Let me assure you that we do have our maintenance team looking into to the problem you experianced to prevent this from happening again.

You did not mention if our 'good night guarantee' was offered to you on this occasion. If this has not been processed, I would love for you to contact us at site so we can process this refund for you.

I do hope this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future, we would love for the opportunity to welcome you back here soon.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Excellent centrally located hotel. Bargain at £26 a night! Excellent breakfast or pop out across the road to Waitrose cafe. Staff can't do enough for you. The sun came out too! Wifi is free for 30 mins and them just £3 for a day and it's fast and reliable.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank paulrock
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you so much for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the team to be so helpful during your stay.

We do hope to welcome you back here again in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Met up with my sister for her 60th. Impressed with the hotel decor and the room was clean and nicely decorated. the bathroom was lovely and modern and the room was warm. The tv was large and easy to use and the beverage facilities good. The room was quiet and would have slept soundly except for the AWFUL pillows. What a shame I removed a rating for these as they spoilt my nights sleep!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda B
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the room to be clean & modern.

I am so sorry you found our pillows to be uncomfortable, Premier Inn do try to provide the best possible comfort for all our guests, we recently rolled out brand new mattresses and we provide a choice of firm or soft pillows. If it was the fibre they were made from then this is possibly somthing Premier Inn could look into in the future.

I do hope this will not deter you from staying with us again.
We hope we can welcome you back here in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Had a lovely stay at this Hotel Have stayed here many times and always made welcome Will stay here again in the future Would recommend to my friends .Good food and a hearty Premier Inn Breakfast as always

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would recommend us to others.

We all look forward to welcoming you back here in the near future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Fantastic weekend at St Mary's Gate Premier Inn, the room, as expected was clean, fresh, and a generous size. The bed was comfortable and the air con fully adjustable. We paid for breakfast which was fantastic... There aren't many places that can do a good hard boiled egg, but they were perfect. The gentleman waiter was great, really attentive, friendly and funny.

Located close to The Moor, Waitrose and a Weatherspoons. It's perfect for the theatre or in our case The Leadmill!! Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mouikey

Thank you so much for you kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at St Mary's Gate.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room to be clean & comfortable and the breakfast (especially the bolied egg) to be perfect.

We all look forward to welcoming you back here in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The hotel has secure parking underneath the hotel. The lift does not go all the way down to the car park, so had to walk up to the lift and then up to reception on level 3. Warm welcome and helpful staff. Comfy bed as we have come to expect with Premier Inn and everything nice and clean. The hotel is next to a busy road, if you want to open the window it can be noisy, but the rooms are air conditioned so no need.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Let me start by first apologising for the lift issue you experianced, the lift should go all the way to the ground and basement level and I am sorry on this occasion it did not and you had to walk.

I am very pleased you found our rooms to be so comfy and that the staff were warm and welcoming on your arrival.

I do hope we get to welcome you back here in the future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

My first stay in Sheffield which was for 2 nights on business travelling on my own. Perfect location, free car park, added hotel entry security, good restaurant & great service. All staff were extremely helpful & friendly & far exceeded my expectations. Great value for money & because of the staff a very pleasant place to stay. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Kelly B, Manager at Premier Inn Sheffield City Centre (St Mary's Gate) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review and for your kind comments about your stay.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and that because of our wonderful team, your expectations were exceeded and that you would recommend us to others.

We Hope to welcome you back here in the future.