“Bit run down!”

Ranked #26 of 33 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Bit run down!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I booked for a friend who came up from London and when we arrived I was quite embarrased as the carpets were very worn and we had to go up to the top of the hotel, when we opened the door to the bedroom it hit the end of the bed, it was so small in the room but it was clean and the bathroom although very small was clean too.

The whole place needs a big overall as its on Welcomesheffield as a premier place to stay.

Shame really as it was booked up so others must have visited welcomesheffield too.

Room Tip: I couldn't help as the place was booked up and only room at the top was available
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank citychick-11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed in room 18 and to be honest it will take me a while to recover from sleeping in a bed which belongs in a skip the mattress needs throwing out its springs just dig in .The shower is beyond description it is in a cupboad and to try and have a shower is almost impossible as it took so long for the water to get remotely warm,paper mat on the floor which you use for your car is just silly..the room itself is just a joke the window cannot close
To reach this very disappointing room you have to climb so many stairs go through so many firedoors its totally confusing very dark and shabby
Its clean but only just
The staff are freindly but thats the only reedeming feature of this place I really expected Rigby to appear its the worst hotel I have stayed in to date and wont return ever
The breakfast was so small you could put it all in between a couple of slices of bread although it was well cooked
I could go on about it but no point other than to say if you look at the website it looks pretty impressive in reality its is run down and has nothing going for it at all ,its also noisy and I had a few hours sleep thanks to the traffic and the noise of toilets flushing and the pipes
Overall I just want to forget about this and hope never to fooled by a website again
Its so poor in every way but the staff are first rate .
I would not recommend this place to anyone and it spoiled the visit to be honest

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you want a good room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David M

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel, located only a few minutes from the centre of Sheffield, has a car park at the back. It is obviously being renovated. We were given a warm welcome and informed about the door lock and how to contact a member of staff through the night if necessary. The room we were given was clean with a comfy bed and crisp white linen. TV and tea making facilities in room and a large en suite with bath and powerful shower with really hot water. Not sure about the paper bath mats but perhaps they were better than a grotty material one - at least they are fresh for each occupant. The thin curtains obviously needed replacing and could have done with a few more hooks to hold them up, likewise the voile at the windows also needed replacing but both did the job they were there for. As we were short of time we had pre-ordered sandwiches at a set time and they were ready for us on time, all very well presented with plenty of filling and came with chips and a side salad. Breakfast, which was served in a lovely large well decorated room, consisted of cereal, orange juice, yogurt, apples and a full English with toast but no jam/marmalade but considering the price charged you couldn't expect the choices available in a larger more expensive establishment. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and beautifully presented. The lady who served us was the person who greeted us on our arrival, she was very friendly and always had a smile. One small complaint was the lack of a mirror in the room so could not use hair dryer. The mirror in the bathroom was also very low and we had to stoop to see in it, not ideal when putting on make-up!! However, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Traffic noise in rooms at front of hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
preston, uk
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We came for one night to watch a bouldering competition at the climbing works. Location wise it was great. About 5-10 minutes drive to the venue.

Parking at the hotel handy - on the street or privately behind the hotel for free.

We were given room 7.

Great customer service - I booked on laterooms and entered into the comments that I'd like an early check in and late check out if possible. A woman called the next day to advise we could definitely check out late but to call on the day of arrival to see if we could get in early. I thought this was great, that they were acknowledging our request promptly.

MAIN complaint - The really poor electric shower had a power level of 1 on a scale of 1-10. Shocking. And it was basically cold or scalding. So we didn't bother having one in the morning, just had a quick one at night. Didn't even stay in long enough to condition my hair the temperature was that dodgy. Shame really, a nice power shower would have been so nice.

Minor complaints -
1. The bed isn't a full double size but it is very comfy and the bedding is so soft and fluffy.
2. Great little room but it's up a frighteningly steep set of stairs (not all the rooms had the horrendous stairs so most are ok).
3. Curtains are feint yellow in colour and very thin so we were awake with the sun at 6am although we didn't have to get up until 8.30am :-(

Breakfast was good, the full English was cooked well and the woman that had been on the bar all night served it with a smile (I know this is hard as a former hotel manager!)

Best bit - The staff really were great (although the check in was a bit long and drawn out and being shown to my room made me a bit uncomfortable but that's just me).

Room Tip: Ask for one with good shower pressure and the darkest thickest curtains they have!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Very friendly staff that ensured our stay was as nice as possible. Our room was a little drab and cold despite a member of staff turning the radiator on, but was good for the price we paid for. The breakfast was fine but lacked the "large range" that we were told about on the menu. This is a perfect place to stay if you simply need to spend the night with a quick drive to the city centre. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I found this hotel as i needed somewere cheap to stay one night whilst working in this area of sheffield. The website looked nice, as did the pictures and the price which included breakfast made me more than happy to pay. I booked this hotel on the understanding that as a young woman it would be better for me to stay in a hotel in a residential area as i was on my own and pay at little more than usual or be faced with a horrible builders hotel which my brother recommended.WELL.....I SHOULD OF GONE WERE MY BROTHER SAID...
As i arrived the 'hotel' didnt stand out i drove past it twice up and down the street, i rang the bell and waited, i called the number and waited, pulled the door which was open but as i walked in i still waited. a man appeared hardly the home from home welcome i expected, told me to pay, gave me a key told me when the door locked and how to unlock it..... then we went to my room....well i could hardly see the corridor as the whole place was sooo dark and a musty smell wafted in front of my the whole time, it must of gone through about 3 fire doors (non matching all old) before we came to my room which again i needed to open a fire door and there was half a step jutting out at the bottom, which i thought was hardly safe. he opened the door to my room and it stunk of bleach he told me this would go as its only just been cleaned ( well i went to leeds that night to visit a friend, cam back at 9 and it still smelt). then he left me to it, now the room was clean i must admit there was no dust anywere and the bathroom was spotless although i wasnt impressed with the paper bath mat and the horrible soap and show gel it looked like it been there for about 25 years. however it was clean but the whole place was just so tired and grubby... for instance the paint on the raditor was peeling off as it was on the skirting board. the mirror had black marks on that i didnt know how they got there but it could so eaisly of been replaced by a cheap new mirror. the bedding was clean and the bed was ok and there was a t.v....there was an attempt at brightin the room with 2 canvas pictures on the wall tea and coffee faciltites, but on the whole it kind of was a hole!!!!
anway i went out and returtned at about 9, i put my car in the car park at the back and ran to the front of the building as i didnt feel safe it looked dirty with old scrap cars around i got in the door there was a lady on the desk who to the customer before me who well didnt look the most kindest of people, she was reading the riot act to, but to me she was pleasent and i requsted more milk for the making a cup of tea in my room and she brouight them up to my room and told me breakfast was not at 8:30 as the man when i checked in had told me but was at 8 (actually this was better for me). I slept well after that.
BUT IN THE MORNING well the man was back on shift so i came down for breakfast at 7.59 one minute before 8 and he told me breakfast is at 8.30, i said i was told 8 and the chef came out and said thats right its 8 give us a few minutes to SWITCH THE LIGHTS ON AND SET UP.. (I was quite annoyed its one minute to 8 i have always been told you should be prepared 10minutes before expected) so i sat in the dark for 5 minutes when the light came on the bar and eating area is actually lovely possibily the best part of the establishment....they then told me i could help myself to cerial (a choice of three) and juice (only orange) and then asked for my order which was a vegetarian breakfast with white toast. i read the paper made a cup of tea and breakfast came out
ONE VEGETARIAN SAUSAGE
ONE HAS BROWN
A TABLE SPOON OF BEANS
A TEASPOON OF MUSHROOMS
ONE PLUM TOMATOE
ONE FRIEND EGG.

now i may only bit little but ive got an appetite,,,,i mean one sasauge who gives somebody one sasauge and one hash brown....?!?!?!?!?!?! I ate it got ready for work and checked out....

OVERALL im unimpressed this place should not be a hotel it needs cleaning up with paint new decor, it needs to work on its customer service heavily and not be so stingy with breakfast...

Room Tip: i wouldnt stay here, go to a travel lodge or preimer inn....the home away from home ethos they menti...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank tillyturtle
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Friendly staff, comfortable room, good food. The decor is in need of updating but the new owners are sorting this out. The only real minus for us was the shower, which had a very low water pressure and alternated between hot & cold. Otherwise it was all absolutely fine, and very good value for money. We would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple