“Potentially good if ......”
Review of Montgomery Hotel

Montgomery Hotel
Montgomery Hotel
Ranked #25 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
North Shields, United Kingdom
“Potentially good if ......”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night as a single guest for £44 with the use of a double bed and included breakfast.

The location is in a bit of a tangle of roads which my Sat Nav easily located. It is on a bus route and a 6 minute walk from the main Abbeydale road.

The hotel has a bar, lounge and eating area. Overall the décor is rather dull and dark but the room as clean, neat and tidy with a flat screen T.V.

The breakfast, from 8-9.00 a.m., comprised of orange juice, choice of 3 cereals and a freshly cooked meal which came with toast on the plate. I would have preferred the toast on a separate plate and although there was no jam, when asked, I was provided with it. There was a choice of tea or coffee. Overall because of the freshly cooked food breakfast was tasty and good.

The person who served me was first class. She smiled, was friendly, and made sure that you had what you wanted in a none fussy way.

The biggest downside was the fact that I was woken up at 6.45am by the family in the next room. Doors were slammed and I could hear them talk and shouting at each other. I wondered how thin the walls were.

Overall for the cost I would recommend this hotel – I rate it as average because of the noise I could hear early in the morning – would have been good otherwise. I would stay again and hope that the folk in the next room was occupied by a quiet couple.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in a room next door to noisy folk.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We are pensioners and came to Sheffield to visit a relation. We got a warm welcome from staff on arrival. The room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast excellent, freshly cooked. We also had two evening meals which were very nice. Had problem with the toilet cistern which was quickly put right. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
East Midlands
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Booked in for one night as I was attending an event nearby.
It s obvious that there is renovation going on. Rome wasn't built in a day. It was safe, clean, comfortable.
Furniture is dated but the bed was comfy and I had everything I needed.
The public bar was lovely with loads of locals in having a quiet drink.
Breakfast was full English.
Staff very friendly and eager to please.
The location is fab. I found it easy to find and parking is easy.
If you want an anonymous chain hotel where everything looks white then do so. This is an old building, needs some work but they are on the case.
I wOuld go there again in a flash.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed here for one night as it near to a party we were attending. Contact before our stay was excellent as I had a few requests (gluten free food, late check out, taxi booking etc) and recieived prompt and polite replies almost immediately. All of my requests were dealt with.

I have decided to write a review because I had been genuinely worried about what to expect after reading some dire reviews so I thought I would add my experience.

This hotel is in a leafy residential area in Nether Edge. Easy to find using Sat Nav about 10 minutes from the main roundabout by the universities. It is out of town with no shops or cafes right nearby.
It is an OLD and characterful building typical of sheffieds leafier streets and has modern signage for the hotel and for the bar/cafe/lounge (which is a freehouse and open to non-residents for coffees, food and drinks)
The feel of reception is more like a B and B. We had to wait a few minutes for someone to come as they were overseeing the service in the bar area as well but this is an independent and I didn't have a problem with that - I have certainly waited longer in chain hotels!
Check in was easy. Had to pay £5 cash deposit for the room key - totally understand this. Obviously had it returned in departure.

The hotel has been and continues to be (by the looks of it) refurbished and they have started downstairs by doing up the bar which is very modern, spacious and chic. We did not have a drink here as time was tight but it looks really nice.
The route to the room was very dated - refurbs have not extended to communal areas beyond ground floor so it does feel a bit tired and worn out but it is NOT dirty. The smell people have commented on is there but it is like an aged smell (you know some properties just smell a bit 'old' if they are old!) but it also had the smell of polish, cleaning products etc.
Our room was really big with plenty of room to get around. The bathroom was large (no bath but a shower) and it was brand new - very nice.
Other comforts were flatscreen wall mounted tv, tea and coffee making stuff and touch sensitive bedside lamps. The furniture was dated and not that nice but I understand that all refurbishment cannot take place at the same time - they have obviously done what they can and prioritised the bathroom/tv etc.
Bed was REALLY comfy - so much so that we didnt make it down to breakfast as we wanted to have a saturday morning lie in!
My only gripe really was that breakfast should have been served until 10am on weekends - it finishes at 9am at the moment and it is just too early if you have had a night out and want to sleep in a bit.
This is an independent budget hotel. The room cost £50 at the end of the day and for us it did the job. For a night or two when you are going to be busy /out and about then it does the job nicely for the price. I would go elsewhere f I wanted to spend more time in the room or establishement as it does not have any LUXURIES.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 17 if you want space - nice big bay window facing front. Ask for later check out - th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spillthebeanz
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I booked for a friend who came up from London and when we arrived I was quite embarrased as the carpets were very worn and we had to go up to the top of the hotel, when we opened the door to the bedroom it hit the end of the bed, it was so small in the room but it was clean and the bathroom although very small was clean too.

The whole place needs a big overall as its on Welcomesheffield as a premier place to stay.

Shame really as it was booked up so others must have visited welcomesheffield too.

Room Tip: I couldn't help as the place was booked up and only room at the top was available
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank citychick-11

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

London
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed in room 18 and to be honest it will take me a while to recover from sleeping in a bed which belongs in a skip the mattress needs throwing out its springs just dig in .The shower is beyond description it is in a cupboad and to try and have a shower is almost impossible as it took so long for the water to get remotely warm,paper mat on the floor which you use for your car is just silly..the room itself is just a joke the window cannot close
To reach this very disappointing room you have to climb so many stairs go through so many firedoors its totally confusing very dark and shabby
Its clean but only just
The staff are freindly but thats the only reedeming feature of this place I really expected Rigby to appear its the worst hotel I have stayed in to date and wont return ever
The breakfast was so small you could put it all in between a couple of slices of bread although it was well cooked
I could go on about it but no point other than to say if you look at the website it looks pretty impressive in reality its is run down and has nothing going for it at all ,its also noisy and I had a few hours sleep thanks to the traffic and the noise of toilets flushing and the pipes
Overall I just want to forget about this and hope never to fooled by a website again
Its so poor in every way but the staff are first rate .
I would not recommend this place to anyone and it spoiled the visit to be honest

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you want a good room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank David M
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This hotel, located only a few minutes from the centre of Sheffield, has a car park at the back. It is obviously being renovated. We were given a warm welcome and informed about the door lock and how to contact a member of staff through the night if necessary. The room we were given was clean with a comfy bed and crisp white linen. TV and tea making facilities in room and a large en suite with bath and powerful shower with really hot water. Not sure about the paper bath mats but perhaps they were better than a grotty material one - at least they are fresh for each occupant. The thin curtains obviously needed replacing and could have done with a few more hooks to hold them up, likewise the voile at the windows also needed replacing but both did the job they were there for. As we were short of time we had pre-ordered sandwiches at a set time and they were ready for us on time, all very well presented with plenty of filling and came with chips and a side salad. Breakfast, which was served in a lovely large well decorated room, consisted of cereal, orange juice, yogurt, apples and a full English with toast but no jam/marmalade but considering the price charged you couldn't expect the choices available in a larger more expensive establishment. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order and beautifully presented. The lady who served us was the person who greeted us on our arrival, she was very friendly and always had a smile. One small complaint was the lack of a mirror in the room so could not use hair dryer. The mirror in the bathroom was also very low and we had to stoop to see in it, not ideal when putting on make-up!! However, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Traffic noise in rooms at front of hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends