“Lunchtime treat”

Ranked #385 of 1,428 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$13 - US$36
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Locally sourced food and ales . Award winning Gastropub. Michelin listed pub and restaurant featured in Sawdays guide
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“Lunchtime treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The Devonshire Arms is tucked discreetly away in this pretty Derbyshire village. We called in on a quiet sunny afternoon and what a delight it turned out to be. Walking in there's a certain wow factor. The all-day menu tells you all you need to know about the Devonshire's culinary ambitions. We had an enjoyable lunch and the friendly barmaid (the owners daughter) made it extra special. We shall return.

• Visited July 2014

Wimbledon, London
“Special place for special celebration!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Took my daughter here after her graduation from Sheffield University, with my husband and his aunt who actually lives in Dore and recommended it to us. Lovely old pub and restaurant. Decided to eat in as it was so hot!!!
Extremely well looked after by the owner. Combo starter as were starving. Had 3 different types of salad: Prawn and Salmon and Crab. Both excellent and very generous portions. Unfortunately no goat cheese in on that day but happily replaced with Blue Danish. And one huge portion of spare ribs.
Would certainly recommend on every level and would definitely come back if not so far from London!

• Visited July 2014
“Gorgeous Food. The best olives I have ever tasted!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I have visited the Devonshire arms 3 times now and have yet to be disappointed.

It has a pretty country pub decor and has quite a laid back atmosphere. The staff seem friendly enough too.

My only small concern about the decor is that the seating isn't the most comfortable and one occasion, myself and my partner were sat beside each other rather than facing which I though odd.. but as I say, it's only a small thing.

It's easily overlooked with the quality of food you receive which is just wonderful. The menu seems to have been different on each visit but every meal I have had has been lovely. The olives for starters are the most amazing olives I have ever tasted!

The presentation of food is really beautiful and makes a complete difference to your dining experience.

I would probably say on the food alone, this is in my top 3 places in the whole of Sheffield & derbyshire to eat.

The only other small thing for me was that they do not have lemonade on tap which makes drinking a wine spritzer very expensive but hey, I could hardly complain with a mouth I'll if delicious food!

I'll certainly be returning.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Terrible management and customer focus”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Father's Day June 16th 2014 my family had booked for the 14:30 sitting. On arrival we were told that we had to wait for the table to be set which took a couple of minutes only. What happened next beggared belief. After taking our orders we waited an hour and 10 minutes for the starters to arrive
Plates were cleared away and we sat and waited a further hour and 15 minutes for the main courses to arrive

Were we offered an explanation or even an apology? An even longer wait was likely for that to happen. We had to forego dessert as 2 of our party needed to return to Leeds

The food was good without being outstanding, cold mashed potato is inexcusable and was universally rejected by all at the table.

The kitchen staff were working hard and were being supported by both waitresses who were pressed into plating up as well as serving

The bill was called for and I was amazed that no mention of the service problems was made. My complaint was met with muted apologies. I'd heard another diner at a table who'd waited almost as long as our party be told that only one chef was available for service. When I asked about this the barman said they didn't want to say anything when we arrived hoping that things would be OK!

Clearly the kitchen couldn't cope, the decision to try ruined the experience not just for my party but for others. The restaurant's management seemed more interested in their profit than dealing with the issue
Having decided to dine there on a recommendation I'll never return and I will urge others to go elsewhere

• Visited June 2014
9 Thank Stevie-Jim
Devonshire-Arms, Owner at The Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Stevie-Jim,

Thank you for your review. We welcome all customer feedback.

We're terribly sorry that we didn't meet your expectations on this occasion. Unfortunately, one of our chefs was taken very ill that morning and, as such, was unable to be on the premises.

We would love for you come to back to our pub and enjoy the true Devonshire Arms experience. Please get in touch to discuss further. We have already voice message for you.

Once again, we apologise that you didn't enjoy your visit as much as you had hoped.

The Devonshire Arms
Dartford, United Kingdom
“great pitstop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

While on a lovely walk we came across this pub, had a very warm welcome from a polite young lady who said our little dog was able to come in on the tiled area. Menus arrived quickly food and drink was ordered and arrived in good time. We mainly had sandwiches which came with chips and side salad all the food was of high quality recommend the cheese toasties and fish finger sandwhich. Definitely return if in area again.

• Visited June 2014