“Just wow!”

Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Stag Restaurant is a bright and spacious dining area located within the Devonshire Arms. The Bar brings together the comfort of a country pub with barista-class coffee, premium beers & ales, a fine selection of wines & champagnes, a premium spirit and gin menu and bespoke cocktails – a characteristic pub with a warm and cosy environment. The whole venue showcases exclusive furniture from PugiiPug a local reclaimed furniture company. With a newly built children's play ground and ample seating for up to 80 people, this area is delightful to eat and drink in, whether you are relaxing after a long walk in the countryside, or just here to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere. Newly refurbished terraced areas to the front and side of the building providing an area to relax and unwind on summer days. With ample seating for up to 80 people, this area is delightful to eat and drink in, whether you are relaxing after a long walk in the countryside, or just here to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere.
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Absolutely perfect!
Fantastic food, friendly service and beautiful decor.
Homemade pie of the day, chicken & chorizo was so tasty
Highly recommend and will certainly be returning...

topowl54, Owner at The Devonshire Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your experience. Hope to see you again soon. Please check out our facebook page for updates

Reviewed 10 April 2018

What a fantastic find this was, we moved to the area and found this little gem, the staff create a wonderful ambiance and atmosphere, as soon as you walk through the door you are greeted with a smile, the whole place is clean and bright. All the staff are friendly and attentive, and we can only say one thing about the food - brilliant. The chefs have nothing to hide cooking in their open kitchen, and no need to, every dish we have ever had (and we have had a few) has been presented with pride, cooked with passion and tastes just as the menu says.
You guys should be proud of what you have created, keep up the good work and now with you adding overnight accommodation I can only see you going from strength to strength.

1  Thank RickDawnLyne

Reviewed 9 April 2018

We are fairly easy going people who have been trying to get to the Devonshire Arms for quite some time, either failing to book because they were too busy (a good thing!) or personal plans cancelled. Finally I was able to make a booking to take my wife out for a nice Sunday afternoon meal prior to her birthday.

Upon arrival, the place is clearly going through renovation, it looked fantastic, really welcoming - we were taken to our table, drinks provided via the waitress.

Now the fun starts - we were given a menu with a handful of options and having gone at 5pm on a Sunday, can understand that a couple of those options had ran out. The problem we had was that my wife is a veggie - there was one main on the menu that was vegetarian out of 6 or 7. Luckily my wife is really a pescatarian and so was able to settle on fish and chips (the Sunday meals didn't have a veg option??). The meals were great quality and very nicely presented as expected, even if they did take a while to turn up - it was well worth the wait.

The service however after the initial sit down left a lot to be desired. Whilst I appreciate that they were busy, our second drinks order was forgotten about, ordered at the start of the main and brought to another waitress attention at the end of that meal. She did try make the best of the situation by saying the bar was busy - even if that was the case, 20 minutes for a bottle of water and a lager shandy? The people next to us were making comments about the amount of time it was taking for people to serve. All of this whilst our waitress was swanning about in the kitchen, definitely not ran off her feet. Maybe it was a bad day or because it was the end of her shift... I don't know. We definitely didn't hang around for dessert, we would have been another 40 minutes at least. Probably the worst service I have experienced for quite some time which made this a disappointing visit (I did leave a tip as I believe its the right thing to do - but it was more aimed at the waitress who kind of rescued us and allowed us to pay for our meal to then get out of there) - maybe our expectations were too high, we certainly were disappointed and I hate the fact that I am having to give such a review for what is clearly a successful business.

13  Thank 1Animal1_1
topowl54, Owner at The Devonshire Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Good evening 1Animal

I am sorry we didn't have the vegetarian option for your wife my apologies, yes you are right it was towards the end of a very busy day and we had run out of the Nut roast but I am not happy whenever we let our customers down and will make every effort that it wont happen again

You say you enjoyed the food "even though it took a while to turn up !!!!

"Our waitress was swanning about in the kitchen definitely not run off her feet" couldn't be more further from the truth I find your comments insulting of any member of my staff My wife and I dined at 5.30 and did not see or hear of any problems during service

So that it can be seen by everyone I now list from clear CCTV coverage of what you said was "Probably the worst service I have experienced for quite some time"

Here goes

I’ve watched Table 4’s visit in detail:
> 4:55 Sat down by Charlotte - given menus, no water, shown wine list.
> 4:46 Drinks check put on the til.
> 5:00 Denise takes drinks
> 5:03 Rose takes order, discussion for a minute
> 5:04 Food check on
> 5:31 Food arrives
> (In the time of food being served to T4, we had a table of 8 mains and table of 5 mains plus 5 checks on - it was probably the busiest time of the day)
> 5:32 Rose takes drinks order
> 6:01 Rose takes the bill
> 6:09 Denise takes card machine over
> 6:12 They left.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

We have been to the Devonshire Arms on many occasions and the food is always good! Worth a visit on a Sunday for the monster sized Yorkshire puddings. A warm and welcoming atmosphere!

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We were looking for a place just a little bit special for an Easter meal but wanted to stay clear of the ‘chain restaurants’.
What a wonderful find was the Devonshire Arms.
Staff were clearly local and took pride in explaining the menu and making us feel very welcome. We noticed a lot of locals or at least regulars using the restaurant, always a good sign.
Food was of a very good quality and freshly cooked. We enjoyed what you may call ‘British Tapas’. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this restaurant.
Friendly staff, varied menu, good cooking and at a price that reflected the quality.
When next in Sheffield it will be near the top of the list of eating venue for us.

1  Thank NFJ999