“Wouldn't have been disappointed if this wasn't supposed to be 4* - read on and make your own mind up...”
Review of Diplomat's Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
and 1 more site!
Diplomat's Lodge
Ranked #26 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Was booked in here by work, and had a quick peek at their website before confirming. I requested breakfast at 06:45, which was no problem for them; during the phone conversation, they asked for an approximate arrival time. Pictures on website looked good, and I was surprised that it was 4* for that price.

Booked the afternoon before the first day of my stay, and just after lunch on the day of my stay, received a call asking what time I was due to arrive. He also said I could contact him on that number if I needed anything. Arrived 5 mins late, but they were there to let me in.

I was immediately taken into the office, to pay the outstanding balance on the room. We'd paid the deposit on a company credit card, and I was due to expense the remainder, so I'd looked in advance on the website, it said cash or cheque. Cheques apparently aren't accepted here any more, and I didn't have any cash, so he agreed to let me pay the next day.

Was given a tour of the breakfast room, before being given my keys and shown to (and round) my room - room 8. It was enormous, and had an equally huge bathroom to match! There was a laminated sheet with general information including breakfast times, payment terms (on day of arrival), DVDs to borrow, fire procedure and free wifi login details. The furniture was good and solid; a double bed, 2 bedside tables, a chair (not quite an armchair), a large chest of drawers and a large wardrobe (with a grand total of 2 hangers!). More modern bits were the office desk and chair, and the large flatscreen TV. The fridge is the size you'd expect to find in a fridge-freezer combo - plenty of space! Good tea and coffee making facilities, with the added bonus of biscuits.

After reading previous reviews, I looked for PAT stickers. The fridge and single bedside lamp were due to be tested on 30/6/2010, and the TV, set-top box and kettle hadn't ever been tested. I suppose at least that means those ones are newish...

The bathroom, reached through a door on very squeaky hinges, contains an oval bath and shower, a sink, a toilet and a mirror. There obviously used to be a shower curtain round the bath (the two end fixings and the corner rod from the ceiling were still there), and it needs one; the floor gets very wet without it! The arrangement of bath and wall-mounted shower head means that, to get my head under the shower (I'm only 5'3"!), I had to either bend over backwards, or stand with one leg in the bath and one on the bath's arm rest/seat, or sit on the bath's arm rest/seat. :-o The shower head mount swivelled freely, so it was impossible to change the direction of the water. It was a really good, powerful shower, but there wasn't a large temperature range. Handwash was provided by the sink, and soap had been left with my clean towels on the bed, but it would have been good to have a shelf to put washkit stuff on. When the door is closed, you can't hear the extractor fan from the bedroom.

Both in the bedroom and the bathroom, the windows are covered by vertical blinds, rather than curtains. As well as letting the dawn light in (at 04:54 this morning, according to the BBC!), the blinds are cunningly arranged in conjunction with mirrors to make it impossible not to be seen from outside! I couldn't alter the angle of the blinds in the bedroom.  However, both rooms do have radiators, and both are lit by spotlights. The bedroom is carpeted, whilst the bathroom is tiled.

I originally parked round the back, but when I queried the best place to park, was told at the front. Of the two available spaces alongside the drive, the first appears to be occupied by whichever member of staff was on duty. I was driving a Peugeot Partner van, but had no problems reversing to the front of the house, or turning round in the available space. However, an American couple took a chunk out of one of the sandstone gateposts whilst reversing their hired estate car out this morning! There is an additional parking space part way up the drive, at the side of the house, and a further three or four at the rear. That bit's quite snug for parking.

Breakfast wasn't anything to shout about, but it kept me going 'til lunch. A choice of orange juice, milk or DIY tea and coffee to drink. Food consisted of decent apples, yoghurts (Danone), cereals (Kelloggs, in tiny boxes), bread (and toaster), croissants, brioche, hard boiled eggs, some sort of sliced processed meat, cheese triangles, jam, and possibly some other things that I've forgotten. The staff member asked if everything was okay once I'd started eating.

When I went out to work at 7:15 this morning, the same member of staff checked that I'd remembered my keys, and asked whether my room needed cleaning. I asked for a toilet roll, to be on the safe side, and it was a good job that I did; they'd not even been into the room during the day to top the tea and coffee (and, more importantly, biscuits!), up. The loo roll was left on the floor in front of my door with their business card on. Slightly odd...

My general impression is that, with just a small amount of work and a more normal B&B attitude towards replenishing the rooms during the day, this really could make it to a 4*.

If the owner(s) read(s) this at any stage, I'd suggest a quick update to the website so that it reflects current procedures. A few more hangers in the cavernous wardrobe wouldn't go amiss. The out of date or lack of PAT stickers is a more serious issue, and needs a swift resolution.

For the bedrooms I'd suggest either curtains in combination with the existing blinds or new net curtains, or just thick horizontal blinds that cut out the morning light. Horizontal blinds would go well in the bathrooms, too.

A little squirt of oil would fix the squeaky bathroom door, and a new shower rail and curtain can't be that hard to put in. Moving the shower mount to the right of the controls would fix the issue of not being able to stand under the shower. A small shelf for washkit stuff would be good, or even just a glass to put toothbrushes in!

Breakfast could be spiced up by offering things like fruit salad, a range of meats and cheeses, and museli and toppings.

I hate to tell you this, but it's just not normal not to go into the rooms during the day! Your guests shouldn't have to ask for more toilet roll, or tea and coffee. Fair enough asking about whether the room needs cleaning, but a more acceptible way would be a paper hanger on the doorknob. This is the first B&B that I've been to where the beds aren't made daily, but in my opinion, that's something that's not really necessary.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Arctic_to_Sahara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I would like to share my opinion and stay at the diplomat Lodge B&B Guest House, I would first like to say that as a Regional Sales Manager I have stayed in lots of hotels and guest houses in the UK.

On reading the reviews on this page I was very unsure about what to expect and thought we were going to be disappointed, but that was not the case.

In fact all I can say about the reviews below Is that they are over exaggerating negative comments, and that people should realise that there is a vast difference between a Hotel and a Guest House/B&B/Lodge.

We arrived at 7pm and the owner was here with Key waiting for us, The room was very spacious and cleaned to a high standard. The atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable and is in a quiet location very close to all the amenities of Sheffield. There is secure parking to the front and rear of the property and it's free.

We were visiting my daughter at Sheffield Hallam University and I will be coming here again and using it for business trips to Sheffield .

The breakfast is continental and even though you have to serve yourself unlike a hotel (for those that don't understand the difference) It is in a very nice and clean dining room and all that you need to start the day is on hand.

So all in all a very nice time was had by my partner and I, please remember there is a difference between Hotels as they cost more and can charge for continental breakfast. However the Diplomat Lodge/B&B Guest House, gives all the amenities that you would have at home.

From Gareth

Room Tip: Addams suite is very comfortable
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gb007s
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We booked via bookings.com on a bed and breakfast basis. I read the reviews and they seemed good - the ones I read said nothing negative at all and it was 4*, so I booked. I can only assume the reviews I read were left by friends and family of the management. Since our stay there are now some accounts more in line with our dreadful experience - be guided by those!

Admittedly the booking was only made on the morning of the night we stayed there, but we were not expected and it took about 30 minutes before we were finally shown to our room. Whilst waiting I noticed a sign that said breakfast was served at 8am - no mention of this was made on the hotel website or on bookings.com. I would not have booked there had I known this, as we needed to be away before 8am. However, we were assured on two occasions that breakfast would be left out for us. But they forgot to do this and there was no food left out when we went to the breakfast room - we even had a look around the kitchen but there was nothing. This meant that we had to get our own breakfast en route to our destination. I left a note saying how unhappy I was about this situation and have emailed three times but had no reply - all I wanted was a £5 refund to go towards the breakfast we had to buy, I thought that was a fair solution really.

Having had no response, I took the matter up with bookings.com, but they say it is nothing to do with them, and that it was between me and the hotel to resolve it .... bit difficult to do that though when they don't reply! So currently I have put the transasction into dispute with my Visa card and maybe I will get some satisfaction that way.

The "reception" of Diplomats Lodge was a very scruffy and run down room and we found the staff to be very unfriendly and most unwelcoming - I have never been treat like that anywhere else. To be fair, however, the room itself was nice enough - large, tv, coffee making facilities and a nice bathroom - but no curtains in the bedroom, just vertical blinds. Parking is available for a couple of cars but it is very tight indeed and I would avoid going round the back, you might not get out again unless you have a small car! There is a busy road adjacent to the hotel, which caused some noise, but it wasn't too bad.

All in all, I would not recommend this place at all. It is most definitely not a 4 star hotel, not sure how it secured that rating! It is run by the rudest and most unwelcoming staff I have ever had the misfortune to meet. And because of the response of bookings.com I would not use them in future either.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Ithaca, New York
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights, we had room #3- which is a ground floor en suite. Room was a good size but en suite (shower stall, toilet & sink) was v small. Main problem was there is loads of noise in the hotel- I think all the rooms must have laminate flooring and very little sound proofing as very noisy from upstairs- banging, crashing, creaking sounds etc all night. Had to sleep with ear plugs in. My BF felt that it sounded like the whole place could fall apart at any time!

Room had a radiator and was pretty nice and warm- en suite had no heating and was freezing (and it was actually quite mild weather for the time of year- when it gets colder it would be horrible). Big TV in room but was placed so as you came out of the en suite the door would hit against the side of the TV if you weren't careful. Loads of light switches in room- only the hanging bulb (no shade) worked. Room has laminate flooring- quite uneven & creaky. Room also had vertical slated blinds which wouldn't close- guy at the desk said that they would be fixed (but weren't) and that no one could see through (not true as people going/ coming from the car park could see in). Woodlice in en suite, no hot water to sink. Tons of wardrobes- bit strange really, like more space than I have at home! Bed was comfortable. Has a tiny tiny car park- completely unlit- and very dark- also very muddy. I drive a Mini and really if you have anything bigger I wouldn't know how you'd be able to get in & out. Didn't have the breakfast but the BF did and said it was ok. Wouldn't stay again or recommend.

Room Tip: maybe an upper floor would be quieter?
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmandaClaireBrown
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

My wife and I booked an en-suite room for a 2 night stay in this dreadful place for Friday 19th October to Saturday 20th October. On Friday afternoon we received a telephone call advising that the en-suite room was not available due to a problem with regard to plumbing. We were offered a room with a shared bathroom for a reduced rate(£40 rather than the original £50) which we accepted.

In relation to the bathroom the shower worked but the bracket holding the shower head was broken so the only way to shower was by holding the shower head in your hand. There was no plug in the wash-hand basin. Fortunately it was the weekend so I wasn't too bothered about not being able to shave.

In the bedroom of 4 spotlights in the ceiling only 1 worked, the bedside lights and the television had last been checked in 2009(the label attached to these items stated that the next check should have been carried out in 2010),the furniture was cheap and shoddy,the writing desk was a standard office desk, the bed was not comfortable and could barely be classified as a double,both sets of blinds were damaged and the sound proofing was so poor we could hear the television and some of the conversation from the neighbouring room.

By the time I got to sleep at 3:30 am i had spent some time on this site looking at other reviews(hindsight is a wonderful thing). We got up at 8:30,breakfast being served at 9, got packed went downstairs, refused to pay any more than the £50 deposit already paid and left. A grudging apology was given but no offer of a refund. By that time I had seen the other comments about breakfast and from what we saw being placed on the table they were pretty accurate. We had a thoroughly enjoyable full English breakfast in a nearby Morrisons store.

Don't use the rear carpark if you drive a vehicle larger than a Clio or similar.

This was the worst accomodation we have ever stayed in. I have never in my life felt sufficently disgruntled with any accomodation to write a critical review.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS PLACE

Room Tip: Don't choose a room
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David F
London
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Overall, a good value option - I had booked a standard double, but think it must have been upgraded due to lack of other guests, as the room was huge and the bathroom palatial. One of the best night's sleep I have had in a long time, too. The room had everything you could need, except, if you want to be picky, for any milk (fresh or uht) for the coffee.

Breakfast was one of the less positive elements of the the stay - very meagre offerings of cereals, orange juice and toast/brioche. No butter provided and lip service paid to the "continental" breakfast style by setting out a few slices of ham and some Laughing Cow cheese. No cooked option, and only Nescafe instant coffee available. Enough to keep you going for a few hours, but don't expect the Savoy Grill.

Location was good for Northern General Hospital, and it's only 10 mins into town as well by car. The car park is tight (an estate car needed to be reversed out to avoid a 30-point turn), but at least there is off-street parking. Can't really find too much to grumble about at £55 per night, so will likely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Nice exterior but what a let down inside ! boring decor for a listed building , no discerning features to tell of , what features there was has been covered over , needs a lot of T.L.C. fairly clean, doors needed finishing I.E. painting !! , breakfast was meagre , wouldnt stay here again .

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple