“Back to Pub Grub”

Old Red Lion
Ranked #202 of 1,429 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Back to Pub Grub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I have reviewed the Old Red Lion back in June 2013 as i was dissapointed in the quality of the food, however, went back beginning of December to see if any change and i was delighted that they are now serving 'Normal Pub Grub' and not trying to be too 'posh'. The food we ordered was of good quality and the staff were friendly and polite. There seems to be more of an atmosphere too as it seems a bit busier now. Will visit again.

1 Thank AnR1567

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very good value meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked here for Sunday lunch. I haven't been for a bit and had been told that the new owners had sharpened things up.
We had a nice table by a log fire and all had a roast dinner off the set menu. The food was well cooked and the vegetables were fresh and plentiful. The beer was very pleasant also. Service was good and friendly. The place was heaving with people, but the atmosphere was relaxed. Living 'down south' I am not used to having a meal of this quality for £6.95 a head! I hadn't got room for a pudding. I would go back again.

SHEFFIELD
“school canteen quality food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

As a local resident I've always liked the old red lion. Lovely pub, area and atmosphere. However, since its recent change in management the food has gone downhill in my opinion. I've eaten there twice this week. The first experience wasn't great but decided to give it another go. Big mistake. This is school canteen stuff at best. Sausage worse than chip shop sausage. Just below bog standard basic food. Awful. Admittedly it was a little pricey with previous owners but at least the food was better quality. It's a shame the food is terrible as it's a nice place with decent beers. I can deal with cheap and cheerful food but this was just horrendous. May drink there again but will never eat there. EVER. Awful.

2 Thank Bertface
Yorkshire
“Excellent food all round the table”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

A party of 15 of us had our annual pre-Christmas festive meal at the "Top Red" last evening; the first time we've used this pub. Each person praised their food, friendly service and a lovely atmosphere with music playing in the background not too loud for conversation, which is a welcome change from some venues. All the different meals were excellent, for those of us who had steak it was cooked to individual taste and it's nice to see (and taste) brilliant local beers on tap. The bill at the end - very reasonable prices - was itemised by each person's name, so no need for calculators or backs of envelopes. A great evening all round and looking forward to a return visit with family over the holidays.

Sheffield
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I recently approached the new Manager of the Old Red Lion to make a booking for Christmas Eve for 35 people. We have been regulars in this pub for years, eating there at least 3 times per month and have held our get-together with close friends in this pub for as long back as 1995. When I enquired this year, the initial response was quite negative and he would not commit, stating that he would have to check with the owners before confirming. He took my contact number and failed to respond.

I then returned 2 weeks later, to follow-up on my original request. The same Manager then stated that the owners didn't want children in the pub on Xmas Eve after 6pm and were concerned that there would not be enough space to accommodate us all. I assured him that we had managed for years and that we would be leaving by 7pm, to get all the children home. Again, my number was taken and i was assured that after speaking with the owners, he would call.

This was over 1 month ago and we have now been forced to break tradition and host our own party. I find it bizarre in today's economic climate that a pub would turn down over £1,000 in revenue during the Christmas period, especially as they have tried to promote their festive menu.

I also find it very poor that I was not contacted on either occasion, to be informed either way. My guess is the owner of the Old Red Lion were never contacted and the Manager didn't want the headache of dealing with a large party.

I have now stopped going to this pub, as have all the other families involved. A massive shame for a pub that should be looking after regular custom, not driving it away.

Very poor show...