“If you like drab this place will do”

Holiday Inn Sheffield
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 11 December 2012

A very sad hotel with a great need of updating and modernising. It's a hotel we would never return to because there is a lot of choice in the area and a lot better value for money elsewhere from what we've been told by locals. It was a mistake using the 'brand' as a guide in this instance. Being a platinum member cut no mustard here - it has even made me consider changing my loyalty to a different brand next year.

Room Tip: Depends what you want - if you like mismatched furniture, old fashioned and drab, you'll find it...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RainbowThanet

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. The hotel itself is a bit of a relic but overall clean and tidy inside and the decor suits the building.

The room was spacious with a big LCD TV and sitting area. The bathroom was modern and well fitted. We had a 2 double bed room which was the the rear of the building so it was quiet.

The downside from our trip was on the first night when I got in bed they had mattress protectors which had a plastic feel as every time you moved it made a rustling noise and made the bed hot and sweaty. I had to remove it from the bed and after that it was way nicer sleep and more comfortable. I can sort of understand why they use them but it's not attractive and doesn't lead to quality sleep.

Overall the hotel is good for a Sheffield shopping trip at the right price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank copleycop
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This hotel commands a prominent position in Sheffield city centre being a former station hotel. The main public rooms are lovely, decorated in a traditional style which really shows off the heritage of the building.

Sadly the same cannot be said of the bedrooms! We had a family room in the more modern wing and whilst the room was large it was totally characterless with very out-dated furniture. The paintwork was in poor condition and the curtains did not draw properly. Heating in the room was via a single radiator which was difficult to control and noisy. It wasn't possible to open the window at all so I'd hate to stay here in the summer!

The bathroom had obviously recently been refurbished and was nice and modern but there was a poor selection of toiletries and the toilet was squashed between the bath and sink - not good if you are of 'a larger size'. Both the bathroom and bedroom were clean.

On the first night we were here there was a student function on in the hotel so the main bar was not available and the small bar which we were able to use had insufficient seating so we ended up having to stand for much of the evening.

The biggest disappointment was the breakfast! The continental selection was poor, including tinned pineapple, no fruit salad and only natural yoghurt available. The pastries were of poor quality and the orange juice was made from concentrate. As if it couldn't get any worse the hot buffet was possible the most awful quality I have ever experienced in a 3/4 star hotel. The bacon was so hard you may as well have been eating cardboard, the tomatoes were tinned, scrambled egg was rubbery and the mushroom were greasy. If the price of breakfast hasn't been included in my room rate I would have complained and refused to pay!!!

Parking at the hotel is charged at £5 which is quite reasonable for a city centre hotel but Wi-Fi is charged at £7 which is totally unreasonable - it should be free, especially when it's so slow!!

I only stayed here as the hotel I usually use in Sheffield was full when I came to book - I certainly won't be returning here anytime soon, the next door, newer, Holiday Inn Express would be a much better bet!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed here earlier in the year on 2 occasiosn for 1 and 2 nights respectively. On both occasions as a Gold member I was offered an upgraded room without asking. A real benefit for my loyalty to HI.
Recently however I stayed for 5 nights and had the smallest room outside of a London hotel I have ever had. I do feel that loyalty should be rewarded in these difficult times for hotels and such a long stay. There was no way this hotel was busy looking at the bar and breakfast turnout so it was possible.
All I want is a consistent approach
All that said the 'small' room was clean and warm (it was freezing outside) and did the job. Breakfast was, as always here, a well run event and staff very friendly without gushing!
Bar is too expensive and we only had a drink here once. On my first night the main bar was holding a function so the small bar was it, but as there were no tables free so I couldn't eat in. Not to worry I was surprised to find that Sheffield has some really good restuarants so we ate at a different one each night for the rest of the week.
Just to point out this hotel has charm and despite its age is holding well. Superb history.
I will stay here again as I am loyal to the brand. Would like to have given 4 stars but on this occasion it didn't quite crack it.

Room Tip: Haggle for a better room like I didn't
1  Thank Newquaygreen1
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Well all I want to write is this hotel is fab. OK quaint but cannot fault the service, the breakfast, the rooms or the bathrooms. Much better than the £300 a night more expensive Boston Habor Hotel, USA taht I had to stay in the next week.

Room Tip: Had an executive room. Very spacious
1  Thank KarenLHue
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Not too impressed, have stayed at Holiday Inn's before but this was the smallest room I have ever had. We had 3 rooms booked well in advance of our stay, yet, 2 were next to each other, and our room might as well been out in the Hilton next door it would have been closer!!!!. It is very hard to get to this hotel, so try to look at google streetview etc ahead of time. The room was so small that you couldn't really get down one side of the bed, and the bathroom was very poorly designed, if you are any bigger that say a female size 16 you will have a bit of a job to sit on the loo that is wedged between the bath and the sink.

The room was so unbearably hot overnight, yet we could not turn the heating down, so even with the fan going and the window open it was too hot, to sleep, we also had a problem with the lights!!! they kept flickering on and off all night, but did mention this to the receptionist when we checked out.

Just one other point, the TV is impossible to work, I think you need a PHD to even get it to come on, and no instructions in the room

Room Tip: Room 358 shouldn't be classed as a double, can't comment on others
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lorraine R
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Lorraine R,

Thank you for leaving a detailed review of your stay. We give the utmost importance to your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret the condition of the room and amenities you received was less than satisfactory. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention, as we pride ourselves on excellent customer service. Hope to see you soon.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 November 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business, and as the previous reviewer said, finding it in the dark rush hour due to Sheffield's bizzare road system was the only downside as my sat nav kept trying to take me up bus lanes and the wrong way round the one way system. I would suggest printing out a birds eye view from google maps to help you get your bearings. However, the location is great if you plan to walk into the city. I arrived frazzled but soon wound down once in my very nice comfortable room. I had booked an executive room which, judging by other reviews was the best thing to do. It had everything I needed to make this home for two days, a comfortable bed, armchairs, desk, fridge, large TV, and a new and gleamingly clean bathroom with bath and shower, I can't comment on the bars or restaurant as I made use of room service which was good quality and served very quickly. The hotel itself is full of olde worlde charm, very Victorian in decor and so much nicer than the bland magnolia corridors of many a hotel. Staff were without exception very friendly and helpful, especially the poor man on reception who was patiently trying to explain how to navigate the road system to get where I needed to be! All in all a great stay and I'd definitely return but by train next time

Room Tip: Book an executive room