Holiday Inn Sheffield
Ibis Sheffield City(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$88
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$113
Hotels.com
US$106
US$103
Hampton By Hilton Sheffield(Sheffield)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$72
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
1,128 results
All reviewsroyal victoriaexecutive roomold railwayrailway hotelsat navtwo double bedscity centremain barlovely old buildingseparate showeroriginal featuresmodern bathroomafternoon tealovely hotelchatsworth housechristmas partypublic areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2012

We stayed for nine days, checked out today, breakfast excellent and food in general of good quality, couple of downsides, very hard to find even if you have the postcde for navman, also we wanted to extend our stay(asked on sunday) and were told no availability and to check back on the Tuesday's, went and checked on the net and there was heaps of availability but in light of comments booked somewhere else, did ask on the Tuesday and were told there wouldn't have been a problem, also over zealous housekeeping, hubby was in bed a bit sick, had dnd on the door a knock and didn't even get to the door and a woman barged in, sick hubby in the bed and she insisted on checking the tray for water and a kit Kat, she was a supervisor or something, also settled account to date the day before only to be told had to pay cash for room service and breakfast by staff even thought we had been there 9 days and they had our cc details. The hotel is good value for money, reasonably quiet and I would recommend it again. Max three star tho

Room Tip: Ask for. Room on second or third floor at the front on the building, more modern and roomy. We had room 242 and there was a worrying watermark on the ceiling above the window.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank JaneyBabe1981
Reviewed 11 December 2012

A very sad hotel with a great need of updating and modernising. It's a hotel we would never return to because there is a lot of choice in the area and a lot better value for money elsewhere from what we've been told by locals. It was a mistake using the 'brand' as a guide in this instance. Being a platinum member cut no mustard here - it has even made me consider changing my loyalty to a different brand next year.

Room Tip: Depends what you want - if you like mismatched furniture, old fashioned and drab, you'll find it here in quantity.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank RainbowThanet
Reviewed 9 December 2012

Stayed for 2 nights. The hotel itself is a bit of a relic but overall clean and tidy inside and the decor suits the building.

The room was spacious with a big LCD TV and sitting area. The bathroom was modern and well fitted. We had a 2 double bed room which was the the rear of the building so it was quiet.

The downside from our trip was on the first night when I got in bed they had mattress protectors which had a plastic feel as every time you moved it made a rustling noise and made the bed hot and sweaty. I had to remove it from the bed and after that it was way nicer sleep and more comfortable. I can sort of understand why they use them but it's not attractive and doesn't lead to quality sleep.

Overall the hotel is good for a Sheffield shopping trip at the right price.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank copleycop
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This hotel commands a prominent position in Sheffield city centre being a former station hotel. The main public rooms are lovely, decorated in a traditional style which really shows off the heritage of the building.

Sadly the same cannot be said of the bedrooms! We had a family room in the more modern wing and whilst the room was large it was totally characterless with very out-dated furniture. The paintwork was in poor condition and the curtains did not draw properly. Heating in the room was via a single radiator which was difficult to control and noisy. It wasn't possible to open the window at all so I'd hate to stay here in the summer!

The bathroom had obviously recently been refurbished and was nice and modern but there was a poor selection of toiletries and the toilet was squashed between the bath and sink - not good if you are of 'a larger size'. Both the bathroom and bedroom were clean.

On the first night we were here there was a student function on in the hotel so the main bar was not available and the small bar which we were able to use had insufficient seating so we ended up having to stand for much of the evening.

The biggest disappointment was the breakfast! The continental selection was poor, including tinned pineapple, no fruit salad and only natural yoghurt available. The pastries were of poor quality and the orange juice was made from concentrate. As if it couldn't get any worse the hot buffet was possible the most awful quality I have ever experienced in a 3/4 star hotel. The bacon was so hard you may as well have been eating cardboard, the tomatoes were tinned, scrambled egg was rubbery and the mushroom were greasy. If the price of breakfast hasn't been included in my room rate I would have complained and refused to pay!!!

Parking at the hotel is charged at £5 which is quite reasonable for a city centre hotel but Wi-Fi is charged at £7 which is totally unreasonable - it should be free, especially when it's so slow!!

I only stayed here as the hotel I usually use in Sheffield was full when I came to book - I certainly won't be returning here anytime soon, the next door, newer, Holiday Inn Express would be a much better bet!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Simon S
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I stayed here earlier in the year on 2 occasiosn for 1 and 2 nights respectively. On both occasions as a Gold member I was offered an upgraded room without asking. A real benefit for my loyalty to HI.
Recently however I stayed for 5 nights and had the smallest room outside of a London hotel I have ever had. I do feel that loyalty should be rewarded in these difficult times for hotels and such a long stay. There was no way this hotel was busy looking at the bar and breakfast turnout so it was possible.
All I want is a consistent approach
All that said the 'small' room was clean and warm (it was freezing outside) and did the job. Breakfast was, as always here, a well run event and staff very friendly without gushing!
Bar is too expensive and we only had a drink here once. On my first night the main bar was holding a function so the small bar was it, but as there were no tables free so I couldn't eat in. Not to worry I was surprised to find that Sheffield has some really good restuarants so we ate at a different one each night for the rest of the week.
Just to point out this hotel has charm and despite its age is holding well. Superb history.
I will stay here again as I am loyal to the brand. Would like to have given 4 stars but on this occasion it didn't quite crack it.

Room Tip: Haggle for a better room like I didn't
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business