“Characteristic”

Holiday Inn Sheffield
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for two days during a conference, the hotel is beautiful and being a listed building it has maintained its character. The hallways and stairs are wide and the bedrooms are cute, traditional with high ceilings and floor to ceiling windows, but with all the modern facilities you'd expect - whilst the bathrooms have been refurbished to a modern standard. The floor boards are creaky but I think that adds to the character of the hotel and shouldn't be a cause for complaint. No air con in my room but there was a fan in the cupboard, assuming it was due to the old building. There is a gym with keycard access 24 hrs a day, and room service was efficient. The conference ran smoothly, staff attentive and we were well looked after with different snacks and refreshments throughout the day. Dinner was a private function, with a delicious locally themed menu. The night porter who checked us in (forgot to make a note of his name, sorry!) was very helpful and went above and beyond in assisting me with printing and wifi. A great stay and I would return for a leisure trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Dear Aspndn

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your conference with us.

As a hotel we have the facilities to hold conferences for up to 400 people.

I have noted your comments about air conditioning and due to the age and heritage of building we are unable to install air conditioning units. However, fans are available in all of our rooms.

I shall of course be passing on your wonderful comments to the staff.

As a hotel we have many leisure packages on offer, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel if you require any information on this.

I do hope we can welcome you back to Sheffield on your leisure trip to Sheffield.

Hermann Beck

Write a ReviewReviews (1,101)

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stopped here over night, This Hotel in its day must have been quite something with its stained glass, and fancy plastered ceilings, Hotel rooms clean and well furnished, comfortable bed. Staff were very helpful.

Not a destination Hotel but great for a short stop over in Sheffield to see family, would use again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear StevenRollings

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always a pleasure to read positive comments from our guests.

I am glad your noticed our period features as we strive to maintain the hotels heritage but still ensure we off all modern conveniences.

I do hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Sheffield.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

My Wife and I were doing a short tour of we called 'Jane Austin' country and thought that we would start by staying somewhere central to the area and decided upon the holiday Inn 'Royal Victoria' in Sheffield. We stayed on a Sunday night, so all the Wedding parties had left and there was a one of the conference rooms being used, so on the whole, nice and quiet. This period built building had many original features, the grand staircase, many Victorian fireplaces, picture rails and many historical photographs (many Victorian railway pictures, being a Hotel that served the Victorian holiday and business people in its day) gives a great sense of history to this delightful hotel. We were greeted by a friendly chap in reception whom explain very clearly the Hotels facilities, where and what direction everything was - Restaurant, Bar, Residents Lounge, Lifts to all the floors and best place to park the car. We had booked an 'Executive Suite' and we were placed on the top floor at the front of the hotel, great views. Our room comprised of a spacious reception entrance with table and chairs, very large bathroom and the master bedroom had two very comfortable double bed's. During our stay we took advantage of their Gym facilities which was very well equipped and had a delightful window seat for breakfast in the rather splendid dining room, which again had may original period features overlooking some of Sheffield's modern designed buildings and lots of walkways around the Canal system which runs through the heart of Sheffield itself. Breakfast was self serve and offered a good selection of hot and cold food.The restaurant staff were helpful and friendly as was the reception staff upon our checkout.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in at the front of the Hotel was large, give a good sense of space and had a good...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Dogman1812

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was delighted to read your comments about our hotel.

It is always a pleasure when guests isolate staff as well as the hotel and I will be passing on your wonderful comments about the staff onto the team.

Thank you again or your review and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for a wedding in Sheffield so weren't looking for more than a bed but got a special view of the grand ballroom as well. Hermann proudly showed us this magnificent Victorian room and chatted with us for ages during a busy (and generous) breakfast service. It was good to see him working hard with his helpful staff during service - no airs and graces for this manager/owner. The welcome and farewell at reception were very cheerful and friendly. Our room was comfortable, and much quieter than I expected from the hotel's position near the ring road and city centre. All very clean and Hermann explained that redecoration etc is an ongoing project. Sky Sports on the TV - a bonus for cricket lovers. We got a two nights for one deal that made it a bargain stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear CathyELondon

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

It was a pleasure to meet you on your visit to Sheffield and it was my pleasure to show you around our hotel and give you a guided tour.

I was delighted to read how you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria on your next visit to Sheffield.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I have just attended a 2 day conference at Holiday Inn Sheffield, a beautiful traditional hotel that boasts a beautiful large ornate banquet suite. The staff were supper efficient & friendly & the food was exceptional, especially the dinner at the casino night... Def the best conference food i've had so far!! There were also some lovely treats at break time as well as fruit for the health conscious! My favourite being locally home made ice cream on the afternoon before we left! :-) the conference ran very smoothly from start to finish without any hitches. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just a stones throw away which was gorgeous!! Very comfy, quiet & modern. I especially loved the huge shower!! & again very efficient friendly staff :-)
I would highly recommend these properties! :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Susan F

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. It was a pleasure to read how you found our conference food the best you have had by far.

I shall pass these comments onto our food and beverage team.

I hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Sheffield, and thank you once again your review.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed here for a weekend to attend a friends wedding.We had a family room for 2 adults and 2 children. Beds were very comfortable and the room was very clean. lovely bathroom with plenty of towels!
The hotel itself is beautiful and it has kept its historic architecture.
Staff were lovely and friendly and are obviously proud to work in this beautiful environment.
Breakfast was amazing!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Ann B

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was delighted to read how you found our staff friendly and I shall be passing on these comments.

As a hotel we are lucky to have a ballroom in which we can hold private dinners , weddings and conferences for up to 400 people.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to on your next visit to Sheffield.

Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

Very nice, comfortable and with very friendly service. Only one drawback - network patch in the room was so short, that I was able to connect my notebook only under the table. Wireless was at a premium price, but connection quality was so poor, that I had constant inerruptions. Fair to say that manager friendly removed it from the bill.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Alexandre O

Dear Alexandre O

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I have noted your comments about the network cable which I shall be passing onto the team to look into. I was glad to read that the management team resolved your issue.

I do hope this doesn't deter you from staying with at the Holiday In Royal Victoria on your next visit to Sheffield.