“Experience of a Bygone age”

Holiday Inn Sheffield
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Experience of a Bygone age”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Absolutley stunning hotel. We spent our wedding anniversary in an executive room no.206 The Chatsworth. The decor was stunning and regal with modern touches. We picked the hottest night of the year to stay so did miss air con. Breakfast in the ornate restaurant was a pleasurable experience. The staff were very polite and professional. The bar area has real charecter but was very quiet for a friday night. take the stairs instead of the lift and you will marvel at victorian decor at its best. The doors on the landing need a coat of paint but other than that its a very good hotel. We stayed at the Ritz in january, and for me this was just as good. All for £99 via late rooms. We were eating in Sheffield , by all means walk there but get a taxi back, the castlemarket area has loads of dodgy chavs when the sun goes down.

Room Tip: chatsworth room 206
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear dave n

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria and to read your comments that you found our hotel stunning.

As a hotel we have the benefit of begin a Grade II listed property and still maintain all the period features but offer all modern conveniences.

Thank you once again for your review.

I hope we can welcome you back to Sheffield in the near future.

Hermann Beck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Thanks for a really great response when my company booked me in for the wrong night. The front desk didn't bat an eyelash and just rearranged the booking for the correct night and then gave me a great room. No fuss despite being very busy. It really made my stay in Sheffield that bit better - which always helps when you're away on business. I made sure I completed the survey to acknowledge such good service and even received a thank you email from the manager.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear 481SoJ

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that our reception team corrected any errors with your booking; we appreciate the circumstances that can occur with making reservations.

I shall be passing your comments onto the reception team, which I am sure they will be excited to hear.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Sheffield on your next visit.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

All of the staff were really helpful and friendly, its a grand building from a bygone age with a lot of history, its a shame that some of the wonderful photos of its connections with the old station are hidden behind plants and a TV screen. We stayed on a really hot weekend and the lack of air conditioning was very obvious, but we did have a fan in the bedroom. Dinner and breakfast were excellent, served by very attentive staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Dear IainD

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff very friendly and helpful. I shall be passing your comments onto the staff.

We do realize the current temperatures can be uncomfortable at times but we do provide fans in all bedrooms and our housekeeping team ensure curtains are drawn to keep the rooms as cool as possible.

I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future on your next visit to Sheffield.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We checked in quite late on a Saturday and the receptionist told us we had been upgraded as there was a wedding on, this was great news to us! We went up to our room (301) and it was a lovely room with a HUGE bed, there was no view but this didn't bother us. The room was lovely but it was a hot sunny day but there was a floor fan which turned out to be a godsend.
We had booked to eat in the restaurant and we arrived and were greeted by a lovely waitress called Nicole. We ordered some wine which was very nice and the service of the staff was exceptional. We ordered our food and I had asparagus starter and salmon for my main, unfortunately as we eat out a lot I was expecting the food to be of a higher standard. My salmon was very bland as was the asparagus, I did mention this to Nicole who then passed my comments onto the manager Tom who came straight over to chat to me. I told him that I had not really enjoyed the food and he stood chatting it over with me and was clearly concerned and was very keen to rectify the problem. He said he would pass all my comments onto the chef and they would look into this further. We ordered a dessert and Tom sent us 3 mini puddings so we could try a few out as we couldn't decide on which to have, they were gorgeous! The overall presentation of all the meals were lovely and when we came to pay Tom had waiver-ed the cost of my meal and the desserts which we thought was very good of him to do! The staff in the restaurant were great and very attentive, I really couldn't fault them. As an extra we received a letter from the manager of the hotel this morning saying all my comments had been taken on board and they have addressed this with the chef, they said they will strive to continue to serve exceptional food at the hotel! It was a lovely letter and nice to see how serious they take customers comments!
We had a lovely nights sleep, the hotel was lovely and quiet even though a wedding was on. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: 301, no view but lovely big big and lovely bathroom. Nice and quiet too.
2 Thank KarenDowns
Dear KarenDowns

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments were excellent and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria.

It is always an extras pleasure when guests single of employees and I shall pass your comments onto Nicole and Tom.

I am pleased that our staff were efficient and solved any issues that you had with your evening meal.

Thank you once again for your review, I do hope we can welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to Sheffield.

UK
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The whole experience from start to finish was very enjoyable. The reception staff we met were very friendly and the check-in process was very quick and efficient. The room was lovely, spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was very large and spacious, with only one small niggle that there was not enough hanging rails for towels.
We had a wonderful meal on our first night in the restaurant, it took us ages to choose as there was so much we wanted to try. We were not disappointed as everything was excellent. The staff in the dining room both for evening meal and breakfasts were very polite, friendly and knowledgably. We had afternoon tea on the second day which was very scrumptious. On the second night after having afternoon tea we only had a bar snack in the cocktail lounge, this was very tasty and in pleasant surroundings.
We left feeling that we would want to come back to stay. Only small grumble, nothing on website says about parking charges, this should be pointed out so not a shock.

1 Thank patsylandin
Hermann B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sheffield, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Dear patsytlandin

Thank for your review of our hotel.

I was delighted to read that you found your stay enjoyable. I have noted your excellent comments about dinner and shall be passing this onto the chefs and restaurant staff.

I took extra pleasure in seeing the pictures of the afternoon tea and that you felt it was scrumptious.

Thank you once again, and I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Hexham
Reviewed 8 July 2013

A good hotel for a short stay and good value for money. Staff were excellent, friendly, helpful, thoroughly professional. The hotel looked a bit careworn in places. Our room had chips out of the plaster board by one of the beds and the windo was difficult to open on a baking hot day and night. Had it not been for the fan we would have had a very unpleasant night's sleep. Otherwise the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear carolsoriginalprints

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am glad to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria.

I have noted your comments, and we have plans of refurbishment in the public areas and bedrooms beginning with new furniture in the grand lounge bar.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review our hotel.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed in this hotel a couple of weeks ago and couldnt believe how wonderful the staff were. I was upgraded to a better room on arrival and the receptionist Paige went out of her way to help with my enquiries. The room was lovely and the shower was fab! I stay in hotels all the time as part of my job, but this has been the best ever, very impressed indeed, The breakfast was second to none, absolutely outstanding service, just hope I get to vcisit Sheffield again, so I can book this hotel once more. Well Done Holiday Inn Sheffield Keep up the amazing service!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Al174

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I was so pleased to read that you found our hotel the best ever.

Your comments are exceptional and I shall be passing all you have said onto the team, I am sure they will be delighted to hear your thoughts especially Paige.

I do hope we can welcome you back on your next visit to Sheffield.