“central location, poor room facilities”

Novotel Sheffield Centre
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dublin, Ireland
“central location, poor room facilities”
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Found getting to the hotel was difficult as the hotel carpark was closed due to the Great Northern Run that weekend. We had to use a multistorey carpark which was a good walk away and refused to accept the discount token that the hotel gave us. We got a superior room but the only thing superior was that we had robes and slippers. Very basis room, tea and coffee making facilities very poor however the room was clean and so was the ensuite. A extra charge for breakfast so we skipped it and found and cafe nearby that serviced excellent food.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Thank you for your response regarding yuor recent stay here at the Novotel. I would also like to thank you regarding your feedback with regards to the room facilities. Should you wish to discuss this furher, I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in for a while. The room was very spacious and on the 5th floor we had a lovely view of the winter gardens. The pool is small, but ok and the steam room is nice.

Breakfast was fab! Buffet style with lincolnshire sausages, fried or scrambled egg, hash browns, tomatoes, beans and mushrooms. As well as variety of croissants (warmed), cereals and fruit. Couldn't fault it.

The parking is a bit steep at £10 a night, but we parked in the NCP cark park round the corner on Matlida Street which was only £7 for 24 hours.

Locationwise, the hotel is bang on. Right in the center near the Crucible, Lyceum, Winter Gardens, the City Hall and SHU.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay here at Novotel Sheffield. I have today shared your comments with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The staff was very nice and friendly. Great customer service.
The lamb at the restaurant was exquisite. I also enjoyed the booths with individual TV sets.
The steam room was really nice but the swimming pool needed a gentle vacuuming.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay here at the Novotel. Your comments regarding the team here have been shared and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I had emailed this to the Hotel but as I received no answer I though t I would post it as I see the manager often responds to this site

Good Afternoon

I had a surreal moment this afternoon, and thought I had been transported back to my young days in the early 70s where Hotels, and particularly Hotel restaurants seemed more in the exclusion than inclusion business ; keeping it special!

After much prompting from my younger Business colleagues I took up a company offer on a Taste Card; my original opposition being solely on the fact that I would receive second class offers and service, this indeed is the same criteria which keeps me away from vouchers for Hotel packages, as I expect to receive the room overlooking the bins at the back, with a Head waiter sending in the busboy to practice on me.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised with taste card and indeed Lunch has become a regular feature particularly on the days when I am starting later at work, and indeed I have had some fine lunches and it has enabled me to widen my choices and try restaurants not previously on my radar.

Whilst meandering around Sheffield this afternoon, we passed the Novotel and I suggested to my wife that we try there for lunch. Wandered in, spoke to the waiter and mentioned taste card, and was taken to a table. Off, the waiter goes for menus. I note he is engaged in a conversation with what I took to be his supervisor. He returned and apologised and said they could only accept taste card, if telephone booked the previous day. No criticism of the waiter as he was as embarrassed as my wife

That leaves me with two choices. Stay and not use card or leave. I chose to leave as my lunch would have been ruined with my constant deliberations upon the actions. I had a very nice lunch elsewhere, thank you, Antibo if your interested.

Indeed I am impressed with your business model; that although the restaurant looked empty to me, business is still booming. I would appreciate any advice in how you have managed to have such a successful business model during these economic times, which enables you to produce barriers for new entrants.

If you find Taste Card users distasteful; this is perfectly ok, but why then do you take part.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding your recent visit to the Elements Restaurant. I have spoken to the Food & Beverage Manager and we would appreciate it if you could contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this further.
London
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I checked in and went to my room, the room was freezing cold as someone had left the window open. I shut the window, but the room didn't warm up - the heating system was broken. Reception had someone bring up a portable heater, which did the job.

I needed internet access so found 2 options - £9.50 for broadband only and £9.99 for broadband and pay TV. I selected the latter. First, the broadband was anything but broadband. The fastest speed I got was 12k/s. I got faster speeds using my mobile as a hotspot. Second, the TV would crash part way through a movie or even free TV, and restart itself. The menu options kept failing to load, which meant reloading a film didn't work.

The reception start were friendly enough and I can't really fault them, but this hotel seriously needs to sort out its technology offerings if it is going to charge for them.

The hotel has a car park - 1 point for that! There is a restaurant and a gym, room service is available too.

All in all, I don't think I would stay there again, there must be better hotels in Sheffield.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay here at Novotel Sheffield. I was disappointed to read that you encountered various technology issues during your stay. I can assure you that the issues raised have now been rectified and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Yorkshire
Reviewed 2 October 2012

we booked for one night and had very comfortable stop we were even upgraded for no extra cost breakfast was very good. The pool was a little tired looking and could do with a refurbish.
The hotel is located very close to the centre of Sheffield and most things are in walking distance.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Sharon T, General Manager at Novotel Sheffield Centre, responded to this review, 4 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay here ath the Novotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.