“Good base on the outskirts of Sheffield with great staff”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Doncaster
“Good base on the outskirts of Sheffield with great staff”
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Sheffield Park Hotel is situated about 5 miles South of the city centre on the A61and I imagine most custom is business/conference related. It might not be first choice if you're heading for a night out in Sheffield, but as a place to base yourself for exploring the wider area, or if you're after a bit of relaxation, it is spot on. We had booked a two night stay which included an evening meal on one night of our choosing; plus we also got a complementary upgrade, which is always appreciated. We arrived mid-afternoon and were checked in without fuss by a friendly member of staff and headed up to our room.

The room consisted of a king-size bed, bedside cabinets & lamps, two chairs, a small table, a writing table (which had a hidden hairdryer), TV, mini-safe, wardrobe, tea & coffee making facilities and a fridge. A fair bit in there, but it certainly wasn't cramped. Nice touch in the fridge was fresh milk which is always much better than the sachets; it's only a small thing, but it makes a difference. There was also complementary bathrobes and slippers for the stay as part of the upgrade.

Bed was comfy enough and I slept well the second night (the first I'd had a fair bit to drink, so can't give fair comment) and it was noticeable how little noise there was compared to a city centre hotel. Bathroom consisted of a bath & shower; of which the latter came out at an acceptable (and adjustable) temperature and with decent power. Maybe not a big point, but I've been to enough places where one or both are not regular occurrences.

As mentioned, we had an evening meal included in the cost and we choose to have this on the first night. Most of our service was by Patrick who deserves a mention as his service was spot on. My personal opinion on service is that it should be tailored to the individual, I really cannot abide the whole 'Sir/Madam' charade which sadly still persists and to me is eminently outdated & insincere, but is still upheld by many senior staff within business as the 'correct' way. I'm sure some people disagree, but as I say service should be tailored, so those who want it can have it. I don't - rant over by the way! - and both myself and my wife were impressed by how Patrick dealt with us. Good work from the Vernon Kay look-alike; he loves it when people point the likeness out.

The food was generally pretty good as well. Starters were a ham & rabbit terrine which was delicious and a duck leg confit which was tasty, albeit it could have done with an additional flavour to contrast with. For main I had game pie which was absolutely delicious. The house red was reasonably priced and I really liked it.

That's not to say the whole meal experience was perfect as there were a couple of niggles. Not in a submit a complaint way, but there were a few things lacking. The first was the massive wait we had between main course and dessert, it was getting to the point where we were regretting having ordered, and the second issue was with a dessert once it came. I'd ordered cheese and biscuits which were generally very nice (can't recall what the white cheese was but it didn't taste of much, the other two were lovely though) and as a rule I would have been very happy with it. In fact I was happy with it until it came to breakfast the next day and found exactly the same cheese choice available… I can't say it was great to see my chosen dessert there as a free for all dish when I'd had to pay to have a limited amount of it the night before!

Talking of breakfast, aside from cheese there was also cold meats, fruit, yoghurts, pastries, juice and a hot selection of eggs (scrambled & fried), beans, sausages, bacon, mushrooms and, er, cooked potatoes. Sure I will have missed a few things, but overall it was a good choice and everything was replenished once finished, or immediately if someone asked. You had the choice of tea or coffee to be bought to you along with some toast as well whilst sat at your table.

During our stay we also made use of the bar which wasn't too bad pricewise for a hotel; a glass of wine could be had for around £4.50 and a pint of Kronenburg was £3.90. We also used the heath club which included a small pool, jacuzzi spa, steam room and sauna. Quite compact, but enjoyed it while in there. There was also a gym, but gave that a miss. If you use the gym on a relaxation break, then you need to reconsider what you find relaxing!

If you're looking for some time out of the hotel then Graves Park is only 5-10 minutes walk away (right from the entrance, head straight on) which I really liked. Lots of green space, horticulture, ponds, quiet areas & farm animals. On the road heading up there you will also see a pub (we chose the hotel bar instead, it's much nicer), ATM, Spar & various takeaways which may be of use if you don't fancy eating at the hotel or heading further afield.

At the end of our stay check-out was quick and painless and again the staff were really helpful. In fact all staff we spoke to during our stay (all listed previously, plus the cleaners) were spot on.

1 Thank DonRobinho
SheffieldParkHotel, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Many thanks for your review of the Sheffield Park Hotel. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our Hotel to others. I am particularly pleased that you have written a very balanced and comprehensive review in the sense that you have evaluated your stay as a whole rather than in segments. The Sheffield Park Hotel is conveniently located a few miles away from the hustle and bustle of the City and offers, as described by you, excellent facilities for a wide variety of guests. I have noted your comment regarding the cheese and as a Dutchman fully understand that the cheeses you ordered as part of your dinner are not cheeses suitable for a continental style breakfast! We got this wrong and I am glad you have pointed this out. I hope we will have an opportunity of welcoming you back to the Sheffield Park Hotel in the not too distant future.

Ivar van Diepen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2011

My wife and I were particularly impressed by the standard of service offered by the mainly young staff. They were friendly in a natural way going beyond the usual "professional" standard of care.

The evening meal was excellent and the breakfasts abundant. Apart from the armchair which creaked at every move the room was clean and the sheets so good they satisfied even my wife.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at the Sheffield Park Hotel. I am pleased you had a wonderful experience at our Hotel. As an independent Hotel we aim and work hard to deliver a personal level of service and positive comments, such as yours, are a great motivator for the team. It was good to learn that the quality of our bed linen got top marks from your wife! I would like to hear from you in order for us to rectify the creaking chair. We want to ensure this is resolved prior to you and your wife returning to our Hotel at some point on the future!

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We have just returned from a 2 night "Chatsworth" break at this hotel. Total cost - just over £200 for dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 people for 2 nights, a bottle of house wine with dinner on the first night and 2 house and garden tickets for Chatsworth. I think this is a bargain in anyone's books and I wasn't expecting anything fancy hotel wise.

In fact, we found the hotel to be modern and beautifully presented both in terms of public areas and the room itself. We had an executive room which was pleasant, well-furnished and very clean. Ok it didn't have a flat screen TV but it did have a fridge and plenty of storage.

I can't understand previous reviewers complaining that they didn't get the "executive room package" - it was pretty clear that the deal was for an executive room not the businessman's package.

Our stay was made even more enjoyable by the attitude of the staff who were, without exception, friendly, polite and helpful.

This was particularly true in the lovely restaurant where Maggie Hill kept her young team attentive and providing good service.

Just two tiny 'minuses'. We were in room 225 and from very early in the morning we could hear the door between kitchen and restaurant banging open and shut several times a minute. This must affect that whole wing of rooms and could be so easily solved by buffering the door.

Secondly, chef LOVES his black pepper. If you don't, be warned and ask for less!

Otherwise, food fantastic, staff brilliant, room fine. Oh and Chatsworth was just amazing!

• Stayed April 2011
Your review on the Sheffield Park Hotel was a pleasure to read! The Chatsworth break does provide amazing value however different guests have different needs and varying opinions however for a price from £169 the Hotel beliefs it is a gem of a package. I have noted your comment regarding the televisions and am pleased to be able to inform you that the Hotel will be replacing all old style televisions over the next three months. I will equally get our maintenance team to address the situation with the kitchen service door and discuss with chef his appetite for spicing things up ... too much! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2011

My wife and I took advantage of The Chatsworth Offer. We were welcomed at reception and dealt with very professionly and with a 'smile' (doesn't happen very often nowadays!)
The room was very clean and tidy and kept up with its 'exectutive room' status. The restaurant staff were although young were efficient and chatty at the right time. Food was excellent and the menu varied. So far so good. Breakfast was a hot or cold buffet. Choice of food very good and service was the same. Superb day out at Chatsworth House (great deal from hotel). I cannot find anything bad to say about the hotel, staff or food. Thanks for a wonderful weekend. We will definately be back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a wonderful review of the Sheffield Park Hotel. I am delighted you found our Hotel a great place to stay as this is exactly what we aim to offer to all of our guests. It's fantastic that you have experienced this first hand and wonderful you have acknowledged this. With nothing 'bad' reported we look forward to welcome you back very soon for another wonderful weekend.

Manchester
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night. We got an excellent rate through laterooms and were not disappointed with the hotel. It is about 4 miles from the centre of Sheffield but plenty of buses pass near the hotel and it’s about £9 in a taxi. The hotel staff are excellent very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel was clean with good, although small leisure facilities. Our room was clean, quite basic but fine we faced on to the main road but even with the window open it wasn’t too noisy. We had a drink in the bar which was nice with a lovely patio area but didn’t eat in the restaurant opting instead to go into Sheffield and try the tapas in Leopold Square which was good. The only slight disappointment was breakfast as we weren’t offered hot drinks or toast and had to ask and they still took a while to come. The hot buffet was ok but nothing special. All in all a good hotel and value for money with excellent friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank your taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at the Sheffield Park Hotel. I am thrilled you found our Hotel to be a very good one and that you have acknowledged that the staff is a great factor, if not the biggest one, in being able to be a very good Hotel. Some of our staff are a little younger and will appreciate your comments very much. I am sorry that there was a lapse in our standards during breakfast and will ensure further training is undertaken to address the situation.

Mirfield
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed for two nights and were made very welcome by the very friendly and helpful staff. The A la Carte menu is very varied, but the set menu is well worth a try. We had both and the set menu far outshone the a la carte one. Leisure facilities were very good and the whole experience very enjoyable. Local attractions also good and weather superb, which made the weekend.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for a lovely review of the Sheffield Park Hotel. I am pleased you had a great stay and that the weather played its part in ensuring the weekend was a success. I am grateful you have highlighted that the Hotel, at all times, has two menus on offer; our a la carte menu and our daily menu. It is great to see you experienced both and found both to be good. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheffield Park Hotel in the future.

Doncaster, England
Reviewed 24 April 2011

My husband and I spent 2 nights over Easter at the Sheffield Park Hotel. I booked via the website in advance and managed to secure 2 nights in a double room (although the confirmation stated 'twin') with dinner on the first night and breakfast both mornings for £129.00. As the confirmation stated that I'd booked a twin I contacted the hotel via email and asked if my husband and I could be allocated a double room, particularly as we were celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary during our stay and separte beds was simply not an option! I was emailed back within a few hours and not only had the room been changed to a double I was also informed we had been upgraded to an executive room with an executive package as an anniversary gift from the hotel! I was very thankful for that (thank you Lisa Faulkner) and looked forward to our stay even more. What a lovely touch by the hotel staff.

As my husband and I don't drive we got to the hotel from Doncaster first via train to Sheffield then onto a Chesterfield-bound bus from Arundel Gate in the city centre to Meadowhead. The stop is the first one after the Meadowhead roundabout (Bochum Parkway) and the journey takes approx 20 minutes from the city centre.

On arrival we were greeted by a young chap who swiftly checked us in and wished us a happy anniversary. How lovely! Our room (217) was on the second floor at the end of the corridor and was spacious and modern with beige/brown/purple decor and a huge bed. The mini fridge contained the 'executive package' which were home made cookies x 2, a small jug of fresh milk, chocolates and raspberries and a small bottle of water and we also had fluffy white robes and slippers laid out on the bed for our use. A safe was located in the top part of a retro looking sideboard atop of which was the tv. There was also a writing desk, spacious wardrobe and two comfy chairs beside the window. Climate control was loated beside the wardrobe. The bathroom was a bit of a disappointment-very beige and in need of an update as it was looking rather tired (beige grout?) but otherwise clean and additions had been made to it such as a chrome towel rail and accessories. The bath seemed very narrow-either that or shower curtain rail had been put up too far inside the bath it seemed as the curtain had a nasty temprament to stick to me whilst showering. Definatley one of my pet hates! My husband had the same issue. The flush on the toilet needed to be 'pumped' to flush properly and the extractor fan didn't appear to work which meant everything became wet in the bathroom once we'd exited and closed the door to prevent the steam setting off the smoke detector.

We spend an hour in the health club after checking in. The pool is very small and three to four lengths would equal one length if your average pool but its not much use when there's 5 adults trying to do the same plus boisterious, overexcited kids splashing around and getting in the way! Never mind, we used the jacuzzi instead which was pleasant, as was the steam room however the sauna didn't appear to be working. I have noticed comments on here about the 'scary' changing rooms, however they appeared fine to me. Small, yes but its a small health club! A lick of paint would freshen it all up by all means though. We spent another hour in the pool area this time the following evening when we assumed it'd be a little quieter-we were wrong. A few families were present, the kids were worn out from a busy day in the sunshine and within minutes their wails of distress were going right through us-eurgh (shudder!)! Not the hotels fault though so enough about that. This time the sauna was working but it was not very hot and there was no water container about for us to increase the heat.

On the first night at the hotel dinner was included and we booked a table for 7.30pm. This was when I first noticed that the hotels staff are extremely young indeed-possibly between the ages of 17 and 21 bar the occasional 'adult' member of staff. However this does not affect the service at all and all staff were very polite however I'm not too sure about knowledgeable-I overheard a young waiter on the next table asking who'd ordered the 'pate' to which there was a little confusion from the next table. I swiftly scanned the menu and could'nt see pate on it as an observation. Then the waiter looked around the plate and said 'Oh yes its Terrine'. Our meal was fine however and we were entertained by a young Vernon Kay lookalike who seemed very friendly however we did feel a little rushed to place our order by him initially. The food was lovley and great value to say that £22 (ish) allowance was included in our DB&B rate for the first night. All we had to pay for were the few glasses of wine we had at dinner plus some allowance towards desserts.

After dinner we had a drink in the bar. I was shocked to find that its came to almost £13 for a double vodka and diet coke plus a pint of Kronenburg! We made those drinks last and retired to our room.

On day 2 we went to breakfast fairly late by the hotels standards-it finishes at 10am and we arrived for around 9.30am. Los of cooked items available-bacon, fried and scrambled eggs, sausages, mushrooms, tomatoes, baked beans plus fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals and juices. Very few pastries remained though and I just managed to swipe the last 'mini' pain au chocolat for my husband and I. We had to ask for tea and coffee half way through eating our breakfast, by which time we'd been seated a good 10-15 minutes. The toast was cold and a little burnt but the least of our worries as we had plenty on our plates already. As it was a gloriously beautiful sunny day we headed out to nearby Graves Park which is a good 15 minute walk down Meadowhead away. We thoroughly enjoyed our day petting animals at the onsite farm, walking in the bluebell littered woodland and sitting in the sunshine. There is also a golf course and bowling green should you be feeling a litle more active plus the usual swings, slides etc for the kids.

On our return we enjoyed a drink in the hotel bar, this time I opted or wine to try to keep the cost down but it still came to almost £10 for a large class of Chardonnay plus a pint of Lager. As we wre hungry we shared a sandwich (Monterrey Jack cheese and red onion-out came a standard cheddar cheese sandwich with a blob of red onion marmalade in the middle. I kind of missed the cheese-I like Monterrey Jack, hence me choosing that over say, a ham sandwich) plus a garlic and cheese pizza bread.

We spent our second night at the hotel in the room with takeout pizza (from the shops on Meadowhead) and lemonade from the local spar shop plus Saturday night tv. At this point I'd like to point out that there was a very inconsiderate guest/guests directly above us who spent the second night in a row jumping from the beds or banging erractically around 7pm onwards. This also occoured the following morning when most guests would've liked a deserving lie in, and worse still it was accompanied by child-like shrieking. Again not the hotels fault but I thought I should point this out as noisy guests/families should be a little more considerate towards other guests in the hotel who don't particularly apprecate being woken on a Sunday morning by unnecessary noise.

Finally-sleep quality. My husband sleeps remarkably well under any circumstance and I am insanely jealous both due to the fact that I am a fairly light sleeper and by the fact that I suffer with my back terribly. The beds are outrageously hard to sleep on. Yes, a firm matress is sometimes preferable to some but I like to sleep on my side and therefore a little 'give' is appreciated, but combined wth the very hard matress and squidgy pillows I came home earlier today in absolute agony and had to go to bed following two nights of virtual sleeplessness.

Apart from the lack of sleep on my account (thats just me) The Sheffield Park Hotel is great value and close to Graves Park so ideal for both couples wanting a quiet or relaxing getaway or families. I also noticed a few disabled guests at the hotel who thanks to the series of ramps around the hotel and the majority of amenities being on the ground floor, plus ground floor room availability, getting around was easy for them which is great to see as (from my experience working in the travel industry) too many hotels overlook customers with disabilites.

I would book to stay here again, however only for one night due to the lack of sleep I had following my matress issues on a personal point of view.

Room Tip: Check out nearby Graves Park-a great free day out!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comprehensive review of the Sheffield Park Hotel. You have genuinely evaluated each aspect of the Hotel which is a welcome variation providing lots of valuable information as to how our Hotel is performing. I was delighted that our staff rectified the booking error and went one step further by listening to you and providing a complimentary upgrade for your 4th wedding anniversary. All of the Hotels rooms were fully refurbished between 2005 and 2006, including the bathrooms! I am sorry to learn that you found the bathrooms 'outdated' albeit to say the colour scheme is a little monotonous. With regards to the shower rail I can inform you that over the next 3 months curved shower rails will be installed in each room preventing the situation described by you. It was great to know you had time to use our leisure facilities albeit perhaps slightly less relaxing than desired for your anniversary as a result of some younger swimmers. It was good to see the sauna was operational on the second day. I will however ensure our maintenance team checks the temperature settings. As explained in one of my earlier responses the Hotel employs staff from varying ages, with the overall average on the younger side. All benefit from training as you have acknowledged. On occasions there are small knowledge gaps with regards to specific menu items and as a result of your comments I will ensure further training is scheduled to address this. It was a pleasure to learn though that overall you found the meal to represent good value for money. Breakfast can be a challenge, particularly on Sunday morning where most guests have a well deserved lie in and come down for breakfast a little later leaving a smaller time frame for more guests. With regards to our bar prices I would like to highlight that the Hotel has had to content with increases in both VAT and Duty. I can assure you that on most occasions the Hotel is actually a little worse off than before in an aim to halt prices for its guests. With regards to our mattresses I am genuinely surprised with your comments. The mattresses are firm and have attracted many positive comments over the year. I am sorry these were not to your individual liking. All the pillows are due to be replaced within the next two months. I hope that the lack of sleep will not deter you from using our Hotel in the future and if I can be of assistance, by way of providing a mattress topper for you, I would be more than happy to do so.