“Better on the inside than the outside”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 24 July 2012

When we first pulled up my heart sank at the plastic bay trees and plastic bay balls on the entrance. Not a great first impression. However, the staff on reception were welcoming and we were allowed to check in earlier as our rooms were ready. After a four hour drive this was very welcome!

Rooms are better than I expected and beautifully clean. We were fortunate to have a view over the garden and swimming pool. Dinner was lovely and the staff were very pleasant but service at dinner was incredibly slow. We had to wait a long time for our plates to be collected and for dessert to arrive.

Breakfast was self service and plenty of choice but only scrambled eggs were at the buffet and would have like fried eggs to be available as well.
All in all it was a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden rather than the road at the front.
2  Thank Lynda P
Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed 23 July 2012

For our family trip we booked the Hilton Sheffield Park for 1 night in a King Suite to break up a long journey with 2 small children.

We got a suite for £66 room only during the great getaway.

We stayed in the hotel in 2011, just before it was rebranded as a Hilton and thought it was value for money.

We arrived later than planned due to the flash floods and driving conditions. We were thankful that we had booked a hotel just over the half way point of our journey as we needed a rest.

When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff and handed 4 warm chocolate chip cookies.
We headed up to our room and were happy with what we saw. The sofa bed was already made up in the lounge. We had a dining area. We had a fridge and TV in both the lounge and bedroom.

We quickly got dressed and reception called us a taxi. We headed to Kito's for dinner. Kito's is a family run BYOB Italian restaurant near by that offers excellent food and value.

We returned back to the hotel, watched a dvd and had a lovely nights sleep. I had both my son (4) and daughter (3) sleep with me on the joint single beds and my husband stretched out on the sofa bed to himself.

Breakfast was not included so I could not comment on this part of the stay.

We packed up and left.

Other than the bathroom perhaps could do with a refresh we were really happy with our room and it was excellent value for money when compared to the other hotels we stayed in for the rest of the holiday.

I would return.

Reviewed 23 July 2012

The hotel is in an excellent location for the city centre, the Peak District (Chatsworth House , Bakewell etc) and access to the motorway network.

The hotels public areas are clean and modern and there is free WiFi in the bar area.

The comments I make are obviously a snapshot in time and these were discussed with the Duty manager at the time of departure and since e-mailed to the hotels General Manager. In fact we shortened our visit to Sheffield by one day as our experience with this hotel was that bad.

Our stay at this hotel was part of our holiday around the Midlands and Yorkshire. During the 14 day vacation we stayed in 6 hotels. Hilton – Coventry, De Vere Village – Birmingham, Premier Inn – Stoke on Trent, Double Tree – Sheffield, Marriott – York, Marriott – Peterborough. Without a doubt the Sheffield Doubletree hotel fell below the standard expected of a 4 star hotel, even the Premier Inn in Stoke on Trent was better.

We stayed in an executive room. The room was clean, but had a musty odour, the ventilation was minimal (on waking the first morning the windows were covered in condensation from breath, even with the air conditioner on low. Again I must put things into context, we did not have the bedroom windows open during the night due to the severe rain. From past experience of many Hilton hotels I know that the A/C is turned off between 12 midnight and around 6am. The support offered by the beds mattress was failing probably due to age, wear and tear. The water in the hand basin took about five minutes to drain way.

The hotel Restaurant has recently won an award. It was quite obvious from the number of people dining at the restaurant that potential customers are not impressed, or have previously suffered from its quality and service.

Table d’hote menu was not balanced on the night we dined. It consisted of mainly spicy food (Thai hybrid). The seasonal vegetables were overcooked and bland so most of it was left. It took over 2 hours for us to complete the meal due to poor service ( the restaurant was relatively quite ). Service was so slow we had wait at the entrance desk to get anybodies attention to pay. We did bring all of these points to the Maitre D when we left and funny enough the menu did look better the 2nd night, but the damage had already been done so we dined elsewhere.

Breakfast ( both days )
– the bacon was covered in clumps of white emulsified fat, the bacon was all stuck together and appeared steam cooked rather than grilled. We did not experience this in any other hotel during our trip.
- fried eggs were classed as a special order, but no warning was given of this from the waitress who took us to our table. You only realise this is the case when you start to serve yourself at the buffet and see the notice. When our order of fried eggs arrived it was swimming in a pool of cooking oil. We did not experience this "egg ordering" in any other hotel during our trip (even the Premier Inn !).

Then there is the English breakfast staple, marmalade. There is a china bowl in the cold cabinet with something that looks like marmalade, the waiting staff call in marmalade, but it tastes more like honey with bits of orange peel in it !

For some reason within the UK there is a complete lack of consistency of service and quality in the Hilton Group. The Hilton in Coventry was excellent, then 60 miles down the road things become a disappointment !

If you want an optional place to eat try the Chef and Brewer public house "The Peacock" on the edge of the Peak District on the road to Bakewell. The food was good, service okay and it is far cheaper than eating in this hotel. The views on the Peak District are well worth the 20 minute trip in the car !

Room Tip: Only stay in this hotel if you have booked with a cancellation option. At least then if you have any...
1  Thank TerrythePotter
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Visited this hotel 20th and 21st July very nice hotel and arrival was very welcoming nice touch being handed a hot cookie!! room was lovely and very comfortable though bathroom was rather small.
I was a bit dissapointed with Breakfast on Saturday Morning I waited a while to be seated and had to find a team member to ask if i just sat where I wanted. she did however appologise for not seeing me. The fried eggs on the buffet looked quite old and dry like they had been there for some time and there were no plates or side plates for toast and again I had to ask someone for these, it was surprising considering that 5 team memers were on breakfast. I decided not too take breakfast on the Sunday even though I had paid. However I would still recommend this hotel as a place to stay everyone has bad days and we can not get it right all the time despite striving to do so
I did order dinner in my room on the saturday evening and ordered staek whick was cooked to absolute perfection. I did not want my room serviced but did call the housekeeping line and ask for some clean towels and they were there in seconds by the housekeeper who again was very very nice.
All in all this is a lovely hotel and well worth a visit if your in the area.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

We stayed here as part of a package to visit Chatsworth, it was a lovely hotel, room was clean and very comfortable, we had dinner there both nights of our stay and it was great food, the restaurant staff were brilliant , nothing was too much trouble for them.
The staff on reception were great to , Heather was very helpful as they all were.
I would recommend this to everyone , great hotel with Excellent staff
Pat Hurcombe

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Immaculate bedrooms, comfy beds, shower/tiles a bit tired but ok. We just had an overnight stay. The staff were excellent, pleasant, accommodating and helpful, seemed genuinely interested in us having a comfy stay. Bit of a drag into Sheffield, only 5 or 6 miles but the traffic is horrendous. Taxi about £10. Quiet rooms are overlooking the garden, but in the summer guest sit outside to have a drink..not ideal if you want an early night. Didn't do breakfast as leaving early, but restaurant looked inviting. Didn't use the spa but it looked lovely, very clean.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

I stayed here for a night whilst in Sheffield for a school reunion. It wasnt cheap but it was worth every penny.
From walking through the door to walking out again; Everything about the hotel is excellent.

The staff on check-in are welcoming and helpful.
The room was spotless and really comfortable.
The restaurant had tasty and well thought out menus; I am veggie and the options that I could eat were really inventive, not run of the mill and the dish I had was very tasty.
Although it is next to a main road it was very quiet and I couldnt hear any traffic in the room I was in (208)

This place really couldnt be faulted. When I pay top dollar for somewhere/something I have rather high expectations and am rarely so satisfied as here.

I wouldnt hesitate to book it again if I needed to stay in Sheffield.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends