“Ignored by staff”

Ranked #18 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Ignored by staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This hotel shouldn't really be a Doubletree. It is a bit shabby with chipped furniture in rooms. The bathroom was TINY! Smallest bathroom I have seen! I have to say that the rooms and bathroom were clean even though furniture shabby. The reason I have given this 2 stars is the wait to be seated at breakfast. I suggest you employ more staff as I have stayed here twice and both times I had to wait an extraordinary amount of time to be seated ( no other people waiting and restaurant not busy) no apology either which I find rude. My time is as important as yours! Check in staff were fine although after check in no one at desk spoke again even to say goodbye, Morning etc etc. Also there was rubbish in corridor outside our room and a lot of room service dirty dishes which were there all day. Who wants to look at the remains of cold, congealed food? I was also given an adjoining room when I specifically asked NOT for this type of room. No mention of this at check in. Managers need to look at these issues.

Room Tip: Don't bother
1 Thank bmwmini02
Heather B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear bmwmini02,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very disappointed to read about the issues you mentioned. As we are part of the Hilton family, we pride ourselves on excellent customer service and usually receive very good feedback from our guests about the friendliness of our teams and their ‘can-do’ attitude. It looks like we fell below our usually high standards, something out of the ordinary which is evident from our Trip Advisor reviews from other guests. We value guest’s feedback as it is only with this that we can continue to improve the services we provide and continue to be the number one choice for the future visitors to the area. Your comments will contribute towards forthcoming training procedures and schedules for our team members.
I am pleased to see that our rooms were of high standard of cleanliness, it will be a pleasure to pass on this praise to our housekeeping team.

Thank you once again for the time to taken to review our hotel.

Heather

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Can't knock it. Out of the way if you're wanting a hotel close to cheffiueld center but only a £10 taxi fare. Warm cookie on arrival is a great touch, room was brilliant and clean. Used a pruple voucher so was only £60 for bed and breakfast and 50% off evening meal but didnt eat at the hotel. Wanted to use the spa but left early so couldn't.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Heather B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Rachael C,
Thank you for such a great review. Its wonderful to see so many people using the purple vouchers, they are really popular.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent reception staff made our two night stay enjoyable.
Handy for sightseeing of Derbyshire and South Yorkshire.
Very good buffet breakfast.
Rooms are comfortable and clean
Obviously people must steal the iron as it was chained to the board.
Aren't people odd to do that

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Palmora98,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased our reception team made your stay enjoyable.

It takes all sorts of peoople to make a world!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The day after I booked online, I received a phone voicemail from the Sheffield Doubletree asking me to call them as there was confusion over my booking and they weren't sure if the booking was for 1 room or for 2. On arrival at the hotel I was informed by Adam that our room was a summer saver rate and that the booking for the 2 rooms did not include breakfast. Adam (he wouldn't give his surname) was dismissive and unhelpful, had a couldn't care less attitude. Didn't try to resolve problem or apologise for misunderstanding. I definitely booked 2 rooms with breakfast, as I had been searching and comparing rates on several sites and decided to take advantage of the good deal being offered through Hilton honours. I telephoned the customer services helpline and was put through to a native french speaker, who tried to help me with my problem. He said he needed to put me through to another extension so he kept me on hold for some considerable time and eventually came back to me to say the extension was busy and asked if I could call back later. I asked him to ask the appropriate person to call me back on my mobile number so that I could resolve the problem or come up with a solution. He assured me that he would get someone to call me right back. I never received a call back. During the telephone call with your central customer services dept there was a very loud firework display going off in the hotel grounds as there was a very large pakistani or indian wedding party. There was also a birthday party and a christening on that day/evening. The hotel was very noisy and both of our rooms experienced disturbed sleep from partying noisy guests and loud indian/pakistani music and guests. This is not the service I have come to expect of Hilton. I travel abroad at least 4 times a year on holiday, use hotels frequently for business and also for family weekends away and this experience has left me feeling like I wouldn't want to use hilton again. In the morning when we checked out Adam (with no surname) was on the desk again and asked if we enjoyed our stay. I said that we hadn't and he asked why. I told him that we had been expecting to have breakfast included and this hadn't happened and also that customer services hadn't returned our call. He asked if I wanted to speak to a manager. I said I did, so he said he would get someone and asked me to take a seat. I sat for a while (I'm a disabled guest with mobility problems so I can't stand for long and I use a crutch). He eventually told me that a manager wouldn't be able to come for another 5 minutes. This manager was to be Laura. I told him I had to leave, as we had a schedule to keep to, and I could wait no longer, but I said I would be putting in a complaint centrally. Parking was very difficult. The hotel was obviously full and there were lots of wedding guest, buses, wedding cars.....rolls royce etc and there were no parking places available near to the entrance for disabled guests. My parter had to park at a distance to the entrance and I had to walk quite a way away from the entrance to meet him, as there was so much congestion with guests to the wedding, birthday and christening functions. I'm very very disappointed with the treatment we received.

2 Thank Karen B
Heather B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Karen B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We do have two separate rates on our summer sale, one includes breakfast and the other is a room only rate. As these rates are usually booked online, the booker is requested to accept the terms and conditions of the booking.

Having spoken with Adam, I understand he had also offered a discounted breakfast upgrade deal to resolve the situation. We regularly receive very good feedback from our guests regarding Adam’s exemplary customer service, often going out of his way to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay and have certainly never had comments that he was rude, unhelpful or uncaring. Therefore, I am sure you can imagine my surprise at your comments as this is very out of character.

Our venue is very popular for weddings due to our large function rooms, and our guests have a wide range of cultural backgrounds. I am sorry you were disturbed by any noise or disturbances.

With regards

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great visit to theis hotel over the past week whilst undertaking some work in the area. Checkin swift and efficient and the warm cookie was a nice touch. Delux king room was a little small but adequately furnished. Bed comfy and black out curtains made for a good night sleep. Lounge bar menu good and reasonably priced. Did not use the leisure facilities but they looked to a good standard. Would recommend and gope to return soon.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

Dear Matt W,
Thank you for such a nice review. I am really pleased you would like to return soon, we look forward to welcoming you with our freshly baked cookies.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Booking experience and registration very good. Hotel and staff warm and inviting. Our room was very comfortable and with desk, table, comfortable chairs and wifi. Bathroom and toiletries of high quality.

Dear Norman A,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

A lovely hotel, the staff are very helpful and friendly. Very clean rooms, however I didnt sleep well due to the pillows being too soft but that was my fault as it was too late to change them. It's a shame that wifi is not free and there is no air con but they do have fans in the rooms. Overall I would recommend this hotel. It is in a lovely location along the canal and you can sit on the terrace in the bar at night as it was very peaceful.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Debbie D,
Having read your review, I think you may have stayed at the Hilton Sheffield. It is great to see you would recommend the hotel, and I am pleased to see another happy guest for the Hilton Family.