“Close but not quite there yet.”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Ideal location if you are needing to visit the Hospital. The hotel though was very dark in the rooms, and if you looked closely at the modern design of the rooms you can see things had been rushed and done as cheap as possible. The rooms were clean though as much as I could tell in the dark, but it needed a tidy up to the décor. Food was fantastic. The breakfast was great and the staff that served us were brilliant, however the staff in the hotel ie reception were not friendly. There were two young girls working there who were ok, but the senior member of staff on reception was cold and unwelcoming. Won't be going again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Rutland Hotel

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Just had an informal family wedding reception at the Rutland and I was very impressed with the service. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a BBQ in the lovely garden, food and service excellent. There was a great party atmosphere and everyone really enjoyed it. My husband and I stayed over and although the room was dark due to the decor, the bed was really comfortable and the room was clean. I was not disturbed by traffic but what did disturb me was the dreadful noise from the air con, it had to go off. This really needs to be repaired or whatever it takes to make it quiet, it was a joke. Breakfast was good and plentiful. The staff were all really helpful and polite. Thank you.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I booked this hotel for its location near the university for my son's graduation. As a 4 star hotel I was expecting something more. There was no lift, the single room was poky and furnished in dark red which made it even smaller and the air conditioning wasn't working on one of the hottest days of the year so far. The evening meal was ok however. I wish I'd booked one of the city centre chains instead.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel is a bit disjointed and a bit of a warren but no complaints on the rooms, cleanliness, service, friendly and helpful staff. Reception and Bar/Restaurant on different floors.The "free" Wi-Fi was unusably slow but I find that a lot when free and end up having to pay or use dongle anyway. Got there quite late and couldn't be bothered to walk 10 minutes to nearest curry house so ate in the bar. Served quickly, generous helpings, well presented, hot and good standard. Scampi & Chips is difficult to get excited about but it was good. Room was spotless, not huge but adequate and tastefully decorated and comfortable. Bathroom was huge, "Wet Room" with walk in shower, again very clean. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and full English/Yorkshire cooked to order. I wouldn't pay the list price for a room here but for what I actually paid booking on line, was fair enough. I'd certainly stay here again. The car park is a bit of a nightmare though - not really big enough to cater for the amount of rooms they have and the spaces are a bit tight so a number of people had parked across 2 spaces. Was blocked in as well in the morning which delayed me. Location was good for my business and next to the hospital/not far from the Uni if that's what you are looking for.

Room Tip: Ask for something close to reception.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for two nights and chose it mainly for its convenience (close to Broomhill). The hotel, as others have said, is comprised of a number of previously separate Victorian houses, joined together. This makes navigating the building somewhat of a maze, but we thought this added to its character. The style of the interior and room was fairly retro, but was large (we had an Executive Room) and clean. We had breakfast there both mornings and the food was lovely. The staff were very helpful and looked after our bikes! Overall, we were happy, and felt the place was an antidote to the Premier Inn's of the world.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Stayed in this hotel August 2013 my friend and I both payed £70.00 per night each for single room occupancy , inc breakfast which was £10.00 each extra.
As we were working locally it was an ideal choice as we could walk to the work place .
I have never been to a hotel before that askes you to put your pin number in to the machine to ok a £200 pound overcharge incase of damages or bar usage,(by the way there is no bar in the room so I did not understand that bit!) I refused to ok this charge and had to pay the two bills in full in advance .
I was Surprised to see that there was no lift available and no help offered (I am 58 and had 2 large bags). with lots of stairs to climb.
The rooms are fitted out in seventies retro style , Bare red brick and dark wooden slatted walls, but unfortunatly this made the room overly dark and the lights were needed at all times,
On a Positive side the memory foam beds gave a great nights sleep if you dont mind a little noise from the road traffic .
Both our showers sprayed water all over the bathroom and with no adjustment on the shower head it was impossible to direct the water onto the correct place(me!!) ,My pet hate is something trying to be something it is not!, Maybe 2 star would be more fitting,
The rooms were dust ridden in between all the wood slatting on the walls and mine had a cable with bare wires exposed by the side of my bed. I have no idea as to what purpose this served.
Breakfast was good with a decent selection of cooked products and the lady that was serving us was very pleasant and helpfull. , but it was £10.00 extra so maybe you would expect it to be that way. Overall I would be happy to stay there again if the price was more fitting to a 2 or 3 star hotel and the rooms were freshened up , Poor show rutland and sort the Wi Fi out!..

Room Tip: If you stay here and need Wi Fi (as advertised , as for a room near reception . dont bother with upg...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed at this Hotel with my wife whilst visiting my corporate head office. First external impressions very poor. Rubbish all over the place and external decor poor. Receptionist very helpful. I paid for an upgrade and received a very tight Executive room. Bed comfortable but decor dark. Menu in room for restaurant was limited and we dined out. The bar area is very worn looking but staff excellent. Very limited choice of draft beers. Room very noisy at night due to being across from busy road.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business