“Only one night, but...........”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #33 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Only one night, but...........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I needed a room for just one night in a hotel close to The Royal Hallamsire Hospital. The Rutland is only a few yards up the road so was in an ideal location. The hotel is not bad, in fact there are some nice things about it, but I don't see how four stars can be warranted. The whole place is a maze of interconnecting corridors and staircases. It seems to be impossible to move from one location to another without going up AND down staircases, and there are no lifts. If you have any mobility problems, even slight, you may find this to be a problem. It is a particularly steep access from the rear, and larger, car park to reception. Although there is level access to the main entrance from the front, although this is not obvious as you approach from Sheffield City Centre. The parking spaces are also very narrow, and it is quite difficult to leave adequate space between reasonably large cars (family saloons). The bed was a rather strange affair. The mattress was good, but it lay on an unsprung wooden platform, the corners of which were quite a hazard to my shins in the rather small double room. The communal areas are clean and quite pleasant. The two meals that I had, dinner and breakfast, were both excellent and nicely presented. All of the staff that I met were pleasant, courteous and efficient. I found the hotel perfectly adequate, and reasonably priced for one night, but I think that I may have been disappointed had I been staying for leisure for a few nights.

Room Tip: If you have the slightest mobility problem, make sure that you evaluate how it may affect you when c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank granfavas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We were booked in at accommodation that was not suitable. So having looked around for other accommodation, what a blessing it was to come upon the Rutland Hotel and very lucky they had a double room for the three nights we required. The room was spotless, the staff were very friendly, just what we needed. If we ever have to return to Sheffield, this hotel would definitely be the first choice.

Room Tip: We were on the front and it was noisy as it faced a very busy road
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel based on location, which is fantastic for the university and hospitals. I was given a single room, which was smaller than its accompanying en-suite! That in itself was ok as I was only on an overnight business trip, BUT, the room faced on to a busy traffic road and what what appeared to be a student route home from their nights out. By 3am, I was decidedly unimpressed with the fine singing voices of the Sheffield student body.
The room was uncomfortably hot and the air conditioning did not seem to work & window opening was limited by the above. Decor was a mix of very well done and slightly shoddy through out- I personally found the wall mural in my room a little bizarre, but that could be because it was not to my taste. I am also not sure how this hotel caters for the less mobile as it consists of many levels and stair cases.
Service was good and staff were helpful, and the food (both dinner and breakfast) was very nice. I would stay there again, based on the price, service and location, however would ensure a room on the quieter side and would not expect a 4* hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed at the Rutland last weekend and was very happy with the room and facilities. It was booked by a friend so we didn't know much about it.

The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly on check in and nothing seemed to much trouble. Our room was room 66, and was decorated very nicely. The bed was one of the comfiest I'd ever experienced in a hotel and we had a wonderful nights sleep.

The breakfast was very good, we had a great range to choose from and the service was first class.

It was a lovely break all together and the only slight complaint was the toilet, it was modern but positioned very close to the wall and took a bit of getting used to.

But apart from that slight niggle it didn't detract from the experience and I would highly recommend this hotel. We shall definitely stay again when we are in Sheffield.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I spent Christmas Day lunch here and thought it was fantastic. The food was beautiful and so much of it we couldn't finish all our courses. The staff were excellent, we felt really looked after!
We will definitely return here and would definitely recommend it for Christmas!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed here for a business trip recently. Receptionist was snappy and rude. The room was cold and poorly lit. It was also very noisy as the laundry cupboard was beside it and the staff got up at 6am to use it. The tea/coffee making facilities were disappointing. One teabag for a double room! The breakfast was poor, I didn't even get what I had ordered and the small boxes of cereal was not something a 4 star hotel should offer. The actual room for the breakfast was so depressing. Paint chipped off the walls. I wanted to leave immediately! The fittings of the room were awkwardly placed and the basement room I was put in was difficult to find and tough to get to with luggage.
Will definitely not recommend, nor use again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BeeMM

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Hope Valley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We went to a corporate dinner here and were very pleasantly surprised. Most hotels offering Christmas dinners to office parties are a real disappointment. The Rutland however laid on a very good quality Xmas meal, with decent portion sizes. Service was very good too!
I hope my wife's boss picks this place next year as well!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business