“Not a 4star”
Review of The Rutland Hotel

The Rutland Hotel
Ranked #36 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights as my partner was being a donor and giving his stem cells for someone in much need with support of the Anthony Nolan trust. The room was very warm no air con which is up to staff I suppose to install themselves we did open the windows but still very warm but to have the air con installed would make it nice for the customer and make it comfortable to sleep at night.The bathroom which was a wet room was horrible it seemed that it was badly planned as it even made the door frame rotten at the bottom and looked a mess should of stuck to a simple shower cubical.the hotel staff were lovely couldn't fault them and the food was really nice complements to the chief you must try the garlic mushrooms very nice and the portion sizes very generous breakfast the same and the lady in the morning who asks if you want coffee or tea very nice an welcoming.The hotel especially the door you go through to have breakfast on the ledge of the upper window needs a good clean its full of flies which is not a nice see. The building its self is nice with lovely seating area outside

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed in June due to my girlfriend having to attend Sheffield Hosital. The NHS put us up here. The hotel looks dirty from the outside with dirty looking windows / curtains. The corridors look dated. But I was surprised by the room they were of a good size modern & clean. The hotel staff are helpful and overall has some good points. They just need to work on some aspects. 1st impressions do count & the view from outside is not good. Due to this i would not stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GazWorrall1978
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Attentive friendly staff, conveniently located and relatively cheap.
The pictures on the website bear little relation to my room (other than the bathroom which was modern and clean) however which was dark, cramped extremely warm due to air con that blew "warm air only" according to the sticker on the control unit (not aircon then). Could be a great hotel but needs some renovation. Not 4 star

Room Tip: dont settle for a sub standard room! ask to move
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DrandMrsRoper
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed here for one night and upon arrival I was greeted with a hotel that looked from the outside more of a children's home or young offenders institute. Bars on the widows, curtains grubby, overgrown shrubs at windows and badly rotten, wooden fire escapes! And I haven't even got inside yet!

Upon entry the staff were very pleasant and accommodating. Interior decor at this point was fine, but when navigating to the room make sure you have Sat Nav. The hotel has more twists, turns, up and downs than the Monaco GP!

When I eventually had dragged my case up and down stairs, I found my room with a door that was suspect as it moved quite a lot just by pushing it. Using the ridiculous weighted down key, with its cast iron, 5 ton key fob, I managed to get access to my room, and tried to switch on the lights, not realising they were already on! Having managed to switch on every light in the room, I soon realised I should have brought my own, as it was still very dark.

To be fair on first inspection the room seemed to be clean, but if was fairly small, with only one window looking after previously mentioned fire escape. One small window was all there was to open, and there was no air con in a hot room.

Bathroom was ok, more of a wet room. But everything was just so dark! Carpet. Dark. Curtains. Dark. Walls. Dark. Bed. Dark. Odd picture on wall. Toned down to dark. Oh myyy.

I slept ok as I had consumed some wine, which helped. However, next morning, it was so dark I thought it was still the middle of the night and I went back to sleep not reasoning it was 9am. Note to self: make sure alarm is set before retiring.

On the whole, I would call this hotel cheap, but not so cheerful. It's functional, and based on the room darkness, it's deliberate to stop you from seeing things you don't want to see.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank bluejonny
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Modern interiors and features, some areas for improvement. The door in our bathroom did not open or close easily and the floor around the door was disgusting. It's like living in a maze but comfy and pleasant. Breakfast was good and evening meals in the restaurant impressive.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Staying here tonight and noticed following issues:
1. Internet keeps dropping.
2. Car park spaces very narrow and other car doors hitting each other.
3. Given room on top floor. Narrow staircase and corridors. Creaky floorboards and very very loud AC on a very hot summer night.
4. Polite staff though.
5. Fair price at £75 too.

I may stay here again....

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 1 night at a cost of £125 excluding breakfast.

The hotel is fine overall. I would say the official rating (rather than the local rating that they use) would be 3*.

The rooms are reasonably decorated with some stylish touches (we had room 8), but there are 'fraying edges'. These include no air con (heat only), marks on the mirrors, different carpets throughout the hotel. I don't think these are a major issues though if you want to stay here.

The staff were all really nice and professional, bringing a fan up when i requested it.

We took breakfast - and again it's fine. I wouldn't say its a Great Yorkshire breakfast though. The table service didn't seem to work that well. I'd also say that somewhere that deep fries the black pudding is a sign of sloppiness. My advice would be to get breakfast elsewhere. It didn't seem great value at a tenner. It should really be included.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends