“Excellent base in Sheffield”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Stalybridge, United Kingdom
“Excellent base in Sheffield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Cheap parking
Clean room, good shower.
Good position.
Nice staff
Great breakfast, lovely fresh cooked omelette
Good value

• Stayed March 2012
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Booked room only with 3 friends for my 40th birthday celebrations and loved every minute of hotel. Allocated a room on the second floor with a balcony that over looked the canal marina which was very welcome. We had double/double rooms which are great but obviously you lose a little floor space. The car park was great to be on site and reasonable at £5 per night. Staff were fabulous and very helpful even down to the lovely man who looked after our rooms and kept us stocked up on tea and milk! Leisure facilities were good. The hotel could do with a little bit of "tarting up" particularly in the rooms (door missing off one of units and a bit old fashioned) but it didn't matter. Some of the residents were a bit noisy but it was St Patricks Day so to be expected. Will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Hilton Sheffield for your 40th birthday.

From the bedroom, staff members and Livingwell facilities; it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

Your comments regarding the missing cupboard doors has also been noted and will be addressed by the Maintenance Manager.

South Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

I did expect that anything to do with the Hilton would be first class, as is the hotel, but I was in for a rude awakening when My husband and I visited the spa area at the living well at the Hilton. The girl on the desk looked unkempt, untidy and didn't appear to be concerned that we were waiting to be signed in, as she was more concerned with gossiping with someone in the back office. We were given towels and told the spa etc was down the stairs. The area around the reception was clutter free with a good selection of swimwear etc to buy, there were chairs to sit in and a television room available with the daily papers. The upstairs rooms appeared to be full as classes were underway. I noticed that the glass surrounding the pool was grubby and very dull, covered in water marks, it didn't look clean, not what you would expect in a health suite. The ladies changing room floor was covered in water, finding a changing cubicle was difficult as there are only three, the rest is open planned. My cubicle was in a bit of a state, talc and water over the floor and walls. Someone said that she was a member and it's always in a state, no matter when you come. The pool side was obviously well used, and could have done with a good clean. The hot tub, unfortunately wasn't working and despite someone going up to reception to report it no one came. The steam room was also in a bit of a state too, someone had left empty drink bottles lying around and plastic wrappers. Tiles to the floor were broken and some of the tiles to the benches were loose. At no time did I see (we were in just over 2 hours) anyone check on the pool area, nor were there any one seeing over the children who had come with their parents and were just left to run about. We had planned to stay a little longer and make use of the loungers to read our papers, but we had had enough and left. The shower area was also in an absolute mess, plastic bags on the floor and razors left ontop of the shower valves and with no shower soap in the dispensers I decided to get dressed and take my shower once in my room. There was also no soap in the ladies loo, the TV/sterio radio etc wasn't working and according to another who was a member it had been like this for some months. The changing rooms were a disgrace, absolutely disgusting. Would we stay at the Hilton again.....yes. Would we visit their living well..No way. I value my health.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank busterandtilley

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

Firstly I would like to apologise for your recent LivingWell experience; this is not the usual high standards that we deliver and I am sorry that you felt the receptionist was uninterested in welcoming you into LivingWell. The LivingWell Manager has now spoken to his reception team.

With regards to the wet floors within the ladies changing rooms unfortunately the changing room and pool side motors seized therefore no air handling was functioning within the wet areas during this period. I would like to assure you that both of these motors have been replaced and the spa and television are both in full working order. I am sorry for any inconvenience that was caused.

The condition of the changing rooms and steam room is also unacceptable and retraining has been implemented to all the relevant team members to ensure more regular checks of the poolside are taking place.

Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Booked double double and because they had limited double doubles we were next to a service lift which rumbled away.
Should be sued under trade descriptions act - you purchase a room to sleep in not to listen to service lift winding gear !

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Siegordon
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 16 March 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you experienced noise from the lifts during your stay and for the inconvenience that this caused.

We are currently trying to improve soundproofing in the hotel and I do hope that this will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

After a week in various other hotels the Hilton was a welcoming change. Nice room, spacious, clean and with a very comfortable bed/pillows. Good location, friendly staff and all in all seemed like a very good place to stay. Breakfast comprised of good selection of hot/cold buffet. Only stayed one night but would definitely use again. Thanks to the young lady on reception, didn't catch her name but she was very helpful, and that makes a big difference.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MalcH
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 7 March 2012

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Sheffield.

Your fantastic comments regarding the bedrooms, breakfast and reception staff have been shared with the team.

Virginia Water, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The Sheffield Hilton never fails to impress. The rooms are very comfortable with large screen televisions, very comfortable beds and fantastic pillows (my usual bete noir in hotels). The staff are fantastic, very cheerful but professional and always helpful. Breakfast is excellent with lots of variety and good quality of food. Dinner was also of a very good standard.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dibrickell
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Hilton Sheffield and you found the rooms comfortable especially the fantastic pillows!

Your great feedback regarding the Restaurant has also been shared with the team; it is always a pleasure when a guest takes the time to compliment the staff members.

________________________________________
Warrington, uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

When describing the various Hilton hotels I’ve stayed in over the years I usually find myself starting the description with “it was ok but...”. On this occasion I thought I’d have something different to say. Checkin was easy with helpful staff, and the first impressions of the room were positive. Spacious with a comfortable looking bed, large TV and relatively large bathroom without the laughably small bath which adorn so many hotels these days... but when I tried to find the AC in the room I found I couldn’ t. I should point out at this point that this wasn’t due to a lack of effort on my part, nor was it due to poor eye sight or an absence of regular height. The room was instead equipped with a fan which when combined with an open window was sufficient to cool the room on a northern evening. We ate in the restaurant which on our visit was quiet and served good food (my medium-rare steak was cooked to perfection), it must be said that the food took an age to arrive and the waiter wasn’t great at spotting when we needed our plates clearing or our glasses refreshing but all in all it wasn’t too bad.
Overall I’d happily stay in this hotel again, but I’d probably not choose it for a holiday.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was glad to read that you found check in easy and the bedroom spacious. Unfortunately the bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning however I was happy to see that the fan helped to cool down the room.

Your great feedback regarding the food has been passed onto the Head Chef and your comments regarding the waiter have also been noted.

I am pleased that you overall you did enjoy your stay and you would like to return back to the hotel in the future.