“Fun weekend with friends.”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“Fun weekend with friends.”
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was a shopping weekend for 4 girls. Hotel plus points - as an honours guest get some complimentary extras (eg breakfast) which is great. Hotel public rooms and corridors great. Leisure facilities excellent - most powerful Jacuzzi I have ever been in! Staff are cheerful, friendly and helpful.

Minus points - Free drink voucher only allows a small beer or wine. Should state this on the ticket as I have always had my drink (G&T) in other Hiltons in UK and Europe - and saves embarrassment! Bedroom carpet past its best with some unpleasant stains. The breakfast buffet is fine but disorganized - on both mornings I observed no bread and no bowls - suggest one staff member is made responsible for this area daily. One slightly unfortunate and unacceptable bar incident with my friend - she requested a glass of house wine. Waiter brought a glass of wine and told her he had substituted pinot grigio as no-one was available to restock the house wine. It was only later looking at the receipt she realised that he had charged her an extra £3 for the difference for a wine she had not ordered. Silly mistakes like this can put you off staying again in a city with so many accommodation options.

Overall though - nice well situated hotel I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a double double if sharing - very nice and spacious.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was glad to see that you and your friends enjoyed your shopping weekend in Sheffield and you also enjoyed the benefits of a being a Hilton Hhonors member and using the LivingWell facilities.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the Hilton Hhonors drinks voucher and unfortunately this only entitles you to selected drinks only. This is stated at the bottom of the voucher.

Your comments regarding the carpet has also been taken on board and I have asked the Head Housekeeper to check all carpets.

I was also concerned to hear that you found the breakfast on both mornings disorganised and please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards. Your comments have been discussed with the Restaurant Manager.

I would also like to apologise for your friend being overcharged for a glass of wine. I am at a loss as to understand why this was overcharged after the bar staff member was instructed not do so. I am however glad to see that this has now been rectified following your contact with the hotel.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Rowlands Gill, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Pleasant, early check in was simple and quick. Family holiday in a double double room, loads of storage for everything so the floor space was kept clear for running around and bouncing off beds. Everything clean but the chrome could have been polished in the fab bathroom. Super soft towels, lovely chamber maid always asked if we needed any more and furnished us with tons of toiletries. Lovely pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi populated by very friendly guests, great gym with classes. Pay to view option on tv a bit pricey £10.50 for a family film, but hey lots cheaper than the cinema. Very quiet room was a bit hot in August, no air con but a fan to help with that. Can't understand how people have reviewed noisey doors that just baffles me. All round really well presented and nicely finished. I completed the survey online and recieved a personal email from the hotel manager discussing my comments. I'd go again.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a view of the canal if that is important. Otherwise we found the opposite side v...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found check in pleasant and efficient. I was also pleased to read that you found the bedroom clean and good leisure facilities.

I am sorry that you found the pay to view movies expensive and the bedroom too hot. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I was glad to see that the fan did help with the high temperatures.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Durham
Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed for one night but would have been happy to spend more time there. When I visit Sheffield again, I will definitely make this my base. The hotel is clean, comfortable and modern. The room was great with a view of the river and quay. Probably the most powerful power shower I've experienced in a hotel. We ate twice, once in the bar/cafe and once in our room. The food was good if a little over priced but then you expect to pay hotel prices for the convenience of it. The only down side; if you can call it that was that it was too hot in the room even with the window wide open. A fan was provided so they were obviously aware of the problem. The locaton of the hotel is great. Within walking distance from the train/bus stations, city centre, pubs and shops etc. The cost for one night in a double room, no breakfast was 44:00. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room overlooking the river. The view is good and it's very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the view of the canal and found the power shower the best you have experienced.

I was glad to see that you did enjoy the food in The Quays Bar and Cafe Cino and your comments regarding the prices have been taken on board.

I am sorry that the bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and for any inconvenience that this caused.

I am glad to see that you would like to return back to the Hilton Sheffield and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

darlington
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We came to Sheffield to do some sightseeing/shopping during the day and a few bars/clubs on the night. We were very impressed with how close the hotel is to the centre of the city and the facilities the hotel has to offer.

We were able to check in earlier than we expected which was a pleasant surprise as we were quite tired from all the shopping earlier in the morning! We made good use of the spa facilities which were great, the towels are provided for you and there was plenty of room in the jacuzzi and sauna etc, the pool was a lovely size too.

We booked a deluxe room which included a mini bottle of wine, some chocolates, some fruit, different waters and bathrobes and slippers. The room was a great size, spotlessly clean with a nice view out over the quays. There was plenty of hot water and the beds were very comfortable! There were plenty of channels on the TV and the radio/mp3 player was handy for us to play our own music whilst getting ready to go out.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel but the breakfast in the morning was lovely. There was plenty of choice between full English or continental, including fresh fruit salads, pastries, cereals, toast, yogurts, fruit juice etc. The staff on duty were very poilte and nothing was too much trouble. You could help yourself to whatever you wanted and everything looked very fresh.

Overall we had a lovely weekend stay here and would be happy to come back again. All members of staff we encountered were very helpful and polite and the hotel and grounds were well kept, well presented, clean and tidy. This is the ideal place to stay if you want somewhere close to the city centre (we walked in during the day but got a taxi to the bar strip on the evening - ask reception to book for you). I would be happy to recommend the Hilton Sheffield to anyone I knew considering a trip to Sheffield in future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel in a great location for the City Centre and you were able to check in to your bedroom earlier than expected.

I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed using the leisure facilities and the benefits of one of our deluxe rooms.

Your great feedback regarding breakfast has also been shared with the team.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Hereford
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My friend and I meet up, every year, and have a girlie get-together. For the past two years we have stayed at Hilton, Sheffield (Yorks being halfway between our respective homes.)
When I was lying in bed, this week, absolutely boiling hot and listening to the banging doors, the memories of last year's sleepless visit came flooding back. This week, I was driven demented by banging doors which, at first, I thought were the heavy and noisy main doors to the rooms but it became apparent that the noise was actually from closet doors / cupboard doors being closed shut. I tried shutting the doors in my own room - just a finger and light push - and they slammed closed making the most atrocious noise. In the light of day, complaining about this noise, might sound petty but when you are kept awake until past midnight then woken by it at 6.30 it is serious!
The biggest problem though is the lack of air conditioning. This solid brick building is too hot. It retains too much heat and the windows only open two inches. There is absolutely no air in the rooms.
One more concern; we were caught in rain on Tuesday afternoon so went back to our room for a change of clothes. The corridor was in an appalling mess with trolleys, dirty bedding / towels, and dirty meal trays everywhere. The cleaning staff were having a loud gossip outside our room. We went into the room, to find that while the room had been serviced there were no fresh towels. I went back outside to enquire about this but the housekeeping staff had completely disappeared. Their voices were soon apparent and I could hear them in the room opposite. I knocked on that room door; it was opened by the supervisor and all of the staff were sat around, inside the room, amongst the belongings of the guest!!! I am not suggesting that anything untoward was going on, but I did not like the idea of staff sitting around in a room that a guest was paying for, and sitting amongst their private things!! (This was on the 2nd floor).
It wasn't all bad; the buffet breakfast was very good and the reception and waiting staff were mega friendly. The hotel is in a good location with plenty of parking. The dining and bar areas are pleasant and the gym and pool looked very nice (though I did not take advantage of them.)

Room Tip: Quay side rooms get full sun in the afternoon and there is no air conditioning so the rooms are horr...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank patti74
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your stay was marred by noise and the lack of air conditioning.

I have asked the Maintenance Manager to look into soundproofing the cupboard doors and I can only apologise for the bedrooms not having air conditioning. Fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding the corridors and the Housekeeping staff. When cleaning guests bedrooms the corridors can become full very quickly however in light of your comments I have asked the Head Housekeeper to speak to her team to ensure that corridors are cleared as soon as possible.

I would also like to apologise for the Housekeeping staff chatting amongst themselves. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards nor acceptable and the Head Housekeeper will also address this with her team.

I was glad to see that you did enjoy breakfast and found the reception and waiting staff friendly.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield next year.

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Sheffield hotels

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I was in Sheffield this past weekend looking forward to a good weekend. I was disappointed though...

The room was disappointing with a bed that moved on its wheels, the top cover of the shower bracket missing and doors that were very noisy when ever anyone left their room. Also when our towels were taken to be cleaned we were left without towels (although they were very quick in their response when we needed some).

When it came to breakfast on the Saturday we were asked to wait in the bar area for a while, when we were finally taken to a table it was clear that no real effort had been made to clean it. The breakfast selection was good, but when we asked for milk for our tea it was brought in a gravy boat!! Then on the Sunday morning I asked for some gluten free toast, I had asked the day before and was told they would have some on the Sunday, but on the Sunday was asked if I would be there on the Monday, dissappointing to say the least!!! Now I will say while we were waiting for a table on the Sunday we were at least offered some tea or coffee, a big improvement on the Saturday.

I also wouldn't say much positive about the facilities at the pool etc... Rather sub par.

I had a great weekend in Sheffield, but unfortunegly that was despite the Hilton, rather than because of it.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank PaulHalliday
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay.

I am sorry that the top of the shower bracket was missing and you also experienced noise from other doors. We are doing all that we can to improve soundproofing in the hotel and I have asked the Head Housekeeper to check all of the showers in the bathrooms.

Your comments regarding the wheels on the bed and towels have also been taken on board and I am sorry for any inconvenience that this caused. I was glad to see however that the Housekeeping team did get you some towels after they had been requested.

I would also like to apologise for the poor service that you received at breakfast over the weekend and please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards. During the weekend the Restaurant at breakfast can become extremely busy and on some occasions we do ask guests to take a seat in the bar area. However this is no excuse for tea and coffee not being offered on the Saturday morning or for the tables not being cleaned correctly. I have asked the Restaurant Manager to speak to his team and implement the necessary re training.

Your comments regarding the gluten free bread has also been noted and I appreciate how disappointing this must have been. Once again my sincere apologies.

I am sorry that your stay was marred in such a way but I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I have stayed at various Hilton hotels and i have to say this was the best, the rooms are extremely spacious and provide everythin you need for a comfortable stay, iron/ironing board/hairdryer/fan. The room and bathroom are very clean and welcoming. I booked 3 rooms and all of them were exceptional value for money one of them even had a large outside balconywith table and chairs over looking the Quays (perfect) The staff are polite and helpful and the whole complex is clean and tidy. The pool area is adiquate and again clean. The breakfast as always has plenty to choose from and of hight standard. Will most definately visit this hotel again (requesting room 217 with the balcony).

Room Tip: All three of our rooms were comfortable and quiet however room 217 was perfect for the balcony and v...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank linda m
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and it was great to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities in the bedroom and found the room and bathroom clean and welcoming.

Your great feedback regarding the team in the hotel, LivingWell and breakfast has also been shared with all departments.

Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.