“Weekend stay”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed at Hilton Sheffield Victoria Quays on 25th August, while attending a wedding there. Found it average really,but booked through Hotels.com so I guess it wasn't too bad for the money. Room was clean and plenty of towels. The hotel was very,very hot and during the ceremony,you actually felt like you were melting,and it was so hot to sleep at night. Breakfast was lovely with a good choice of hot and cold food and freshly squeezed orange juice constantly topped up if you wanted it. However,had to wait in the bar for 15minutes as there were no tables available and it all seemed so unorganised. All in all a good value hotel with breakfast included,but have stayed in better hotels such as Crowne Plaza Leeds and Mercure St Paul's Sheffield Which I paid about the same for and were a bit more luxurious.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to see that you did find the bedrooms clean and tidy however I would like to apologise for bedrooms being too hot during your stay. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I am also sorry for the delay at breakfast and for any inconvenience that this caused. Unfortunately we do sometimes experience busy periods at breakfast however this certainly should not feel unorganised and I have discussed your comments with the Restaurant Manager. I was glad to see however that you did enjoy your breakfast.

Overall I am sorry that you feel this stay was average and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,715)

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Just got back from a weekend break ( 26/08 ) and I am very disappointed with this Hotel. I also am a Gold member but I never got an upgrade ( or bathrobes ) and we were put in two small rooms. I was told it was because there was a wedding reception that there were no upgraded rooms available. I am annoyed with this excuse as I booked in advance and I am a long standing and unlike this wedding party I use the Hilton regularly. The one good thing I will say is that the staff were very friendly and Clementine tried her best to help.

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony as the rooms ( even though there is a fan provided get very hot )
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and on this occasion you did not receive an upgrade from being a Gold Hilton Hhonors member.

Unfortunately complimentary upgrades are subject to availability and as you have stated the hotel was full due to a wedding party, the majority of which had booked and paid for upgraded rooms.

We will always try our very best to accommodate all guests requests and I was pleased to see that the Housekeeping Supervisor did try her best to help with the situation.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was a shopping weekend for 4 girls. Hotel plus points - as an honours guest get some complimentary extras (eg breakfast) which is great. Hotel public rooms and corridors great. Leisure facilities excellent - most powerful Jacuzzi I have ever been in! Staff are cheerful, friendly and helpful.

Minus points - Free drink voucher only allows a small beer or wine. Should state this on the ticket as I have always had my drink (G&T) in other Hiltons in UK and Europe - and saves embarrassment! Bedroom carpet past its best with some unpleasant stains. The breakfast buffet is fine but disorganized - on both mornings I observed no bread and no bowls - suggest one staff member is made responsible for this area daily. One slightly unfortunate and unacceptable bar incident with my friend - she requested a glass of house wine. Waiter brought a glass of wine and told her he had substituted pinot grigio as no-one was available to restock the house wine. It was only later looking at the receipt she realised that he had charged her an extra £3 for the difference for a wine she had not ordered. Silly mistakes like this can put you off staying again in a city with so many accommodation options.

Overall though - nice well situated hotel I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a double double if sharing - very nice and spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was glad to see that you and your friends enjoyed your shopping weekend in Sheffield and you also enjoyed the benefits of a being a Hilton Hhonors member and using the LivingWell facilities.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the Hilton Hhonors drinks voucher and unfortunately this only entitles you to selected drinks only. This is stated at the bottom of the voucher.

Your comments regarding the carpet has also been taken on board and I have asked the Head Housekeeper to check all carpets.

I was also concerned to hear that you found the breakfast on both mornings disorganised and please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards. Your comments have been discussed with the Restaurant Manager.

I would also like to apologise for your friend being overcharged for a glass of wine. I am at a loss as to understand why this was overcharged after the bar staff member was instructed not do so. I am however glad to see that this has now been rectified following your contact with the hotel.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Pleasant, early check in was simple and quick. Family holiday in a double double room, loads of storage for everything so the floor space was kept clear for running around and bouncing off beds. Everything clean but the chrome could have been polished in the fab bathroom. Super soft towels, lovely chamber maid always asked if we needed any more and furnished us with tons of toiletries. Lovely pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi populated by very friendly guests, great gym with classes. Pay to view option on tv a bit pricey £10.50 for a family film, but hey lots cheaper than the cinema. Very quiet room was a bit hot in August, no air con but a fan to help with that. Can't understand how people have reviewed noisey doors that just baffles me. All round really well presented and nicely finished. I completed the survey online and recieved a personal email from the hotel manager discussing my comments. I'd go again.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a view of the canal if that is important. Otherwise we found the opposite side v...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found check in pleasant and efficient. I was also pleased to read that you found the bedroom clean and good leisure facilities.

I am sorry that you found the pay to view movies expensive and the bedroom too hot. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I was glad to see that the fan did help with the high temperatures.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed for one night but would have been happy to spend more time there. When I visit Sheffield again, I will definitely make this my base. The hotel is clean, comfortable and modern. The room was great with a view of the river and quay. Probably the most powerful power shower I've experienced in a hotel. We ate twice, once in the bar/cafe and once in our room. The food was good if a little over priced but then you expect to pay hotel prices for the convenience of it. The only down side; if you can call it that was that it was too hot in the room even with the window wide open. A fan was provided so they were obviously aware of the problem. The locaton of the hotel is great. Within walking distance from the train/bus stations, city centre, pubs and shops etc. The cost for one night in a double room, no breakfast was 44:00. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room overlooking the river. The view is good and it's very quiet.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the view of the canal and found the power shower the best you have experienced.

I was glad to see that you did enjoy the food in The Quays Bar and Cafe Cino and your comments regarding the prices have been taken on board.

I am sorry that the bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and for any inconvenience that this caused.

I am glad to see that you would like to return back to the Hilton Sheffield and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We came to Sheffield to do some sightseeing/shopping during the day and a few bars/clubs on the night. We were very impressed with how close the hotel is to the centre of the city and the facilities the hotel has to offer.

We were able to check in earlier than we expected which was a pleasant surprise as we were quite tired from all the shopping earlier in the morning! We made good use of the spa facilities which were great, the towels are provided for you and there was plenty of room in the jacuzzi and sauna etc, the pool was a lovely size too.

We booked a deluxe room which included a mini bottle of wine, some chocolates, some fruit, different waters and bathrobes and slippers. The room was a great size, spotlessly clean with a nice view out over the quays. There was plenty of hot water and the beds were very comfortable! There were plenty of channels on the TV and the radio/mp3 player was handy for us to play our own music whilst getting ready to go out.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel but the breakfast in the morning was lovely. There was plenty of choice between full English or continental, including fresh fruit salads, pastries, cereals, toast, yogurts, fruit juice etc. The staff on duty were very poilte and nothing was too much trouble. You could help yourself to whatever you wanted and everything looked very fresh.

Overall we had a lovely weekend stay here and would be happy to come back again. All members of staff we encountered were very helpful and polite and the hotel and grounds were well kept, well presented, clean and tidy. This is the ideal place to stay if you want somewhere close to the city centre (we walked in during the day but got a taxi to the bar strip on the evening - ask reception to book for you). I would be happy to recommend the Hilton Sheffield to anyone I knew considering a trip to Sheffield in future.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the hotel in a great location for the City Centre and you were able to check in to your bedroom earlier than expected.

I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed using the leisure facilities and the benefits of one of our deluxe rooms.

Your great feedback regarding breakfast has also been shared with the team.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

My friend and I meet up, every year, and have a girlie get-together. For the past two years we have stayed at Hilton, Sheffield (Yorks being halfway between our respective homes.)
When I was lying in bed, this week, absolutely boiling hot and listening to the banging doors, the memories of last year's sleepless visit came flooding back. This week, I was driven demented by banging doors which, at first, I thought were the heavy and noisy main doors to the rooms but it became apparent that the noise was actually from closet doors / cupboard doors being closed shut. I tried shutting the doors in my own room - just a finger and light push - and they slammed closed making the most atrocious noise. In the light of day, complaining about this noise, might sound petty but when you are kept awake until past midnight then woken by it at 6.30 it is serious!
The biggest problem though is the lack of air conditioning. This solid brick building is too hot. It retains too much heat and the windows only open two inches. There is absolutely no air in the rooms.
One more concern; we were caught in rain on Tuesday afternoon so went back to our room for a change of clothes. The corridor was in an appalling mess with trolleys, dirty bedding / towels, and dirty meal trays everywhere. The cleaning staff were having a loud gossip outside our room. We went into the room, to find that while the room had been serviced there were no fresh towels. I went back outside to enquire about this but the housekeeping staff had completely disappeared. Their voices were soon apparent and I could hear them in the room opposite. I knocked on that room door; it was opened by the supervisor and all of the staff were sat around, inside the room, amongst the belongings of the guest!!! I am not suggesting that anything untoward was going on, but I did not like the idea of staff sitting around in a room that a guest was paying for, and sitting amongst their private things!! (This was on the 2nd floor).
It wasn't all bad; the buffet breakfast was very good and the reception and waiting staff were mega friendly. The hotel is in a good location with plenty of parking. The dining and bar areas are pleasant and the gym and pool looked very nice (though I did not take advantage of them.)

Room Tip: Quay side rooms get full sun in the afternoon and there is no air conditioning so the rooms are horr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank patti74
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that your stay was marred by noise and the lack of air conditioning.

I have asked the Maintenance Manager to look into soundproofing the cupboard doors and I can only apologise for the bedrooms not having air conditioning. Fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I have also taken on board your comments regarding the corridors and the Housekeeping staff. When cleaning guests bedrooms the corridors can become full very quickly however in light of your comments I have asked the Head Housekeeper to speak to her team to ensure that corridors are cleared as soon as possible.

I would also like to apologise for the Housekeeping staff chatting amongst themselves. Please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards nor acceptable and the Head Housekeeper will also address this with her team.

I was glad to see that you did enjoy breakfast and found the reception and waiting staff friendly.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield next year.