“Not Quite The Wow Factor”
Review of Hilton Sheffield

Hilton Sheffield
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Stayed at the Hilton Sheffield as a weekend break with the wife away from work & the kids, the first thing i`ll say is every member of staff from reception to the chambermaids was polite and friendly (1st class). The hotel was clean and tidy, the room we stayed in was a king size deluxe, it was a good size with a good size bed. i was expecting an impressive bathroom, but was a little disappointed with the shower over the bath setup with a shower curtain. The toilet roll was of a very budget type!
The balconey was a good size but the main A road is a stones throw away and you can hear plenty of noise from it. you don`t see that on the pictures. beware if your a light sleeper, we heard people going back to their rooms up till 2.30am ish, then heard a couple of families going out in the morning at 8.00am, we even heard someones phone alarm going off in another room at about the same time (Knew it was a phone alarm because i use the same one)
if you want wireless internet, you have to pay for it!
We didn`t bother eating any meals there due to the prices, £10 for a breakfast...
£8 for soup and a roll, £26 for steak n chips etc etc.
The Bankers Draft is a 5 minute walk away where u can get 2 big (and i mean big) breakfasts and drinks for £11 (top quality)
All in all, for a working class couple spending a little more than we normally would on a hotel,
we expected a little bit more.
Would we go back again??, At the price we paid, i wanted the wow factor, apart from the size of the room, we could have been in any budget hotel, so no, we won`t be going back any time soon.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you found the staff members polite and friendly and you also found the bedroom clean and tidy. I am sorry however that you were disappointed with the design of the bathroom.

I am also sorry that you experienced noise from outside the hotel during your stay and from other guests returning to their bedrooms; we are doing all that we can to improve soundproofing in the hotel.

Wireless Internet is chargeable in the bedrooms however we do offer complimentary WIFI in our public areas.

I am also sorry that you found the cost of dining for breakfast and dinner too expensive. Breakfast is charged at £10 per person and this entitles you to a wide selection of hot and cold buffet items, tea, coffee and orange juice. An A La Carte breakfast menu is also available with items starting from £4.95.

I am sorry that you expected more for the price that you had paid and felt you could have been in a budget hotel. The Hilton Sheffield does offer many things which budget Hotels do not including 24 hour room service, fully equipped gym including pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, Beauty treatments, Quality Restaurant and Bar etc.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Sheffield

Reviewed 27 August 2012

This has to be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We arrived at 10.30pm on a Saturday evening having been at a family party. On arriving at reception the girl behind the desk looked very uncomfortable and asked me to wait a couple of minutes. She diapperered in to the back office without an explanation. She re appeared saying they had a problem with our room which had been flooded. She said the manager was in the middle of preparing another room, which had become free and gave us some vouchers for the bar.
Having ordered a poor excuse for coffee the duty manager appeared saying he was sorry and the room would take another 15 minutes to prepare. I asked him if our room was the only one affected by the flooding and he said it was. I think I must have had MUG written on my forehead.
We eventually got shown to our room which must have been prepared in a hurry as the bins had not been emptied.
The room was ok but very hot with no air conditioning and we didn't feel safe enough to open the balcony door. Needless to say I kept waking up due the stuffy hot room.
On going for breakfast the next day I was greeted by the same duty manager and told him the room was very hot to which he said " yes they are aren't they and you can't open the windows very wide can you". I can see he has received great sales skills training. I was then told there wasn't a table free and we'd have to wait 10 minutes!
My wife then watched a girl clear a table by sweeping all the debris from the table on to the floor and leaving it. She also had put the cutlery on another chair where someone had been sitting. Mmm very hygienic.
Needless to say I asked for money off the bill and received 2 free breakfasts and parking.
This was not the end. When we got home my wife found she had left her jacket in the wardrobe in the room. She phoned to ask the hotel to see if they found it. The girl said someone would call back, which they didn't. She called back to be told that they hadn't found it and spoke to someone who made her sound like she made it up. We can only assume that someone had taken it.
I cannot ever remember staying in such an awful hotel. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
1  Thank Ringo1961

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Unfortunately shortly before you arrived we did experience a problem with the bedroom that had been allocated to you, therefore, another room was cleaned as quickly as possible to avoid any further delays. I am sorry for any inconvenience that this caused.

Our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I would also like to apologise for the delay at breakfast and for the staff member that failed to deliver the correct procedures. I have asked the Restaurant Manager to speak to his team and implement the necessary re training.

In addition I am sorry that your wife’s jacket was lost and has not been found by our Housekeeping team. I have again asked the Head Housekeeper to check lost property and unfortunately nothing has been found.

Please be assured that the issues you experienced during your stay are not reflective of our usual high standards and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to Hilton in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed at Hilton Sheffield Victoria Quays on 25th August, while attending a wedding there. Found it average really,but booked through Hotels.com so I guess it wasn't too bad for the money. Room was clean and plenty of towels. The hotel was very,very hot and during the ceremony,you actually felt like you were melting,and it was so hot to sleep at night. Breakfast was lovely with a good choice of hot and cold food and freshly squeezed orange juice constantly topped up if you wanted it. However,had to wait in the bar for 15minutes as there were no tables available and it all seemed so unorganised. All in all a good value hotel with breakfast included,but have stayed in better hotels such as Crowne Plaza Leeds and Mercure St Paul's Sheffield Which I paid about the same for and were a bit more luxurious.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was glad to see that you did find the bedrooms clean and tidy however I would like to apologise for bedrooms being too hot during your stay. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and fans are provided to aid with high temperatures.

I am also sorry for the delay at breakfast and for any inconvenience that this caused. Unfortunately we do sometimes experience busy periods at breakfast however this certainly should not feel unorganised and I have discussed your comments with the Restaurant Manager. I was glad to see however that you did enjoy your breakfast.

Overall I am sorry that you feel this stay was average and I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Just got back from a weekend break ( 26/08 ) and I am very disappointed with this Hotel. I also am a Gold member but I never got an upgrade ( or bathrobes ) and we were put in two small rooms. I was told it was because there was a wedding reception that there were no upgraded rooms available. I am annoyed with this excuse as I booked in advance and I am a long standing and unlike this wedding party I use the Hilton regularly. The one good thing I will say is that the staff were very friendly and Clementine tried her best to help.

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony as the rooms ( even though there is a fan provided get very hot )
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and on this occasion you did not receive an upgrade from being a Gold Hilton Hhonors member.

Unfortunately complimentary upgrades are subject to availability and as you have stated the hotel was full due to a wedding party, the majority of which had booked and paid for upgraded rooms.

We will always try our very best to accommodate all guests requests and I was pleased to see that the Housekeeping Supervisor did try her best to help with the situation.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

This was a shopping weekend for 4 girls. Hotel plus points - as an honours guest get some complimentary extras (eg breakfast) which is great. Hotel public rooms and corridors great. Leisure facilities excellent - most powerful Jacuzzi I have ever been in! Staff are cheerful, friendly and helpful.

Minus points - Free drink voucher only allows a small beer or wine. Should state this on the ticket as I have always had my drink (G&T) in other Hiltons in UK and Europe - and saves embarrassment! Bedroom carpet past its best with some unpleasant stains. The breakfast buffet is fine but disorganized - on both mornings I observed no bread and no bowls - suggest one staff member is made responsible for this area daily. One slightly unfortunate and unacceptable bar incident with my friend - she requested a glass of house wine. Waiter brought a glass of wine and told her he had substituted pinot grigio as no-one was available to restock the house wine. It was only later looking at the receipt she realised that he had charged her an extra £3 for the difference for a wine she had not ordered. Silly mistakes like this can put you off staying again in a city with so many accommodation options.

Overall though - nice well situated hotel I would stay again.

Room Tip: Try to get a double double if sharing - very nice and spacious.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
101HotelManager, Manager at Hilton Sheffield, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor.

I was glad to see that you and your friends enjoyed your shopping weekend in Sheffield and you also enjoyed the benefits of a being a Hilton Hhonors member and using the LivingWell facilities.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the Hilton Hhonors drinks voucher and unfortunately this only entitles you to selected drinks only. This is stated at the bottom of the voucher.

Your comments regarding the carpet has also been taken on board and I have asked the Head Housekeeper to check all carpets.

I was also concerned to hear that you found the breakfast on both mornings disorganised and please be assured that this is not reflective of our usual high standards. Your comments have been discussed with the Restaurant Manager.

I would also like to apologise for your friend being overcharged for a glass of wine. I am at a loss as to understand why this was overcharged after the bar staff member was instructed not do so. I am however glad to see that this has now been rectified following your contact with the hotel.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Pleasant, early check in was simple and quick. Family holiday in a double double room, loads of storage for everything so the floor space was kept clear for running around and bouncing off beds. Everything clean but the chrome could have been polished in the fab bathroom. Super soft towels, lovely chamber maid always asked if we needed any more and furnished us with tons of toiletries. Lovely pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi populated by very friendly guests, great gym with classes. Pay to view option on tv a bit pricey £10.50 for a family film, but hey lots cheaper than the cinema. Very quiet room was a bit hot in August, no air con but a fan to help with that. Can't understand how people have reviewed noisey doors that just baffles me. All round really well presented and nicely finished. I completed the survey online and recieved a personal email from the hotel manager discussing my comments. I'd go again.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a view of the canal if that is important. Otherwise we found the opposite side v...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on this website.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found check in pleasant and efficient. I was also pleased to read that you found the bedroom clean and good leisure facilities.

I am sorry that you found the pay to view movies expensive and the bedroom too hot. Unfortunately our bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and I was glad to see that the fan did help with the high temperatures.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sheffield again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

We stayed for one night but would have been happy to spend more time there. When I visit Sheffield again, I will definitely make this my base. The hotel is clean, comfortable and modern. The room was great with a view of the river and quay. Probably the most powerful power shower I've experienced in a hotel. We ate twice, once in the bar/cafe and once in our room. The food was good if a little over priced but then you expect to pay hotel prices for the convenience of it. The only down side; if you can call it that was that it was too hot in the room even with the window wide open. A fan was provided so they were obviously aware of the problem. The locaton of the hotel is great. Within walking distance from the train/bus stations, city centre, pubs and shops etc. The cost for one night in a double room, no breakfast was 44:00. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room overlooking the river. The view is good and it's very quiet.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the view of the canal and found the power shower the best you have experienced.

I was glad to see that you did enjoy the food in The Quays Bar and Cafe Cino and your comments regarding the prices have been taken on board.

I am sorry that the bedrooms do not benefit from having air conditioning and for any inconvenience that this caused.

I am glad to see that you would like to return back to the Hilton Sheffield and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.